Fridge thermostat

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
When installing a thermostat controlled refrigerator. vent fan, where should the thermostat be placed and what temperature range is best , (18-22?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you search previous PC articles there was an article by Nigel Hutson on installing fridge vent fans. I will try and find it.

I installed a kit for use in southern France. Your temperature settings are too low as at those temperatures the fridge works okay without the fans. Basically I just used trial and error to get the fans to come on when outside temperature was 25 or above. The thermostat and on off switch were near the top so I could access via the top vent screen.
On a site in France in particular hot weather at night I did have to get up and switch it off as my wife was aware of it coming on. Also the neighbouring van said they could hear it too. Yet it was a specific vent kit. But I guess in hot weather with windows open noise does carry. But they said nothing about my nasal decibels

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
If you have a look on the Thetford website, there are instructions on where to place the temp sensor on the pipes at the back. I just tie wrapped mine in place and it works fine.

The controller should have settings available to control the temp at which the system cuts in, and cuts out again.

Be sure to select fan(s) that are super quiet, so don't buy the cheapest small diameter fan that you can find. Fit the largest fan that will fit as these turn more slowly to shift a given volume of air and are therefore quieter.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I have commented on this before.
The secret is to get two 3in or 4in computer fans and wire them in series. Put one in the bottom vent blowing air in, and one in the top vent sucking air out. The direction of rotation and air flow are usually embossed in the outside of the fan frame. As they are in series they will run quite slowly and thus be fairly quiet.
Note: the object of the exercise is simply to make the air move - not blow the fridge cold - that is move a bit more than convection causes. No need to blank off the panels either side of the fans, just leave them open - the fan will cause enough air movement to improve the fridge cooling effect quite substantially.

Also, if you have a Bailey van you will be well aware that the power box (containing the BCA SMPS - Switched Mode Power Supply) is never fitted where air can move and consequently they often overheat - and if the SPMS internal fan is not working you may have a blown SPMS in short order.
Get two 2in computer fans, again wire them in series to make them run quiet and slow, and fit the blowing in fan over the grille on the left side panel at the top, and the extraction fan over the grille on the top panel right end. Again the object of the exercise is to make the air move, not to cool the SMPS in its own right.

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
When installing a thermostat controlled refrigerator. vent fan, where should the thermostat be placed and what temperature range is best , (18-22?
Thanks all for the information. I am not using a kit, just a couple of 12cm fans and a thermostat with sensor probe. It seems the best place for the probe is on the cooling fins, but it will be trial and error to find the upper and lower temperature limits which switch the fans on and off. It seems like a fridge thermometer will also be a useful guide.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all for the information. I am not using a kit, just a couple of 12cm fans and a thermostat with sensor probe. It seems the best place for the probe is on the cooling fins, but it will be trial and error to find the upper and lower temperature limits which switch the fans on and off. It seems like a fridge thermometer will also be a useful guide.
Best fridge thermometer is the human hand and mouth as the supposedly cold beer is enjoyed, or not as the case may be.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I used the 12v version of one of these:

You don't have to rely on guess work for the temp limits you can set them at the controller. The probe is not attached to the fins, but to the pipework - look here under the installation manual:

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hutch, I have had the same experience as you in France, but the consideration is that at these ambient temps, the fridge and its electronic s have to work pretty hard. The fans are very effective, and its an easy and cheap mod.

Having had a fridge replaced under warranty I know how ridiculously expensive they are, whereas fans are both long lasting and cheap to replace.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts