Fridge's

Jun 9, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

We have a Electrolux fridge in our caravan than can run off gas, 12v & 240v.

Does anyone know if the fridge has 2 different feeds running into it 12v and 240v.

1 off the battery & 1 off the mains hook up.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Edd.

The 230Vac and the 12V dc systems are entirely separate and there must be no way the two systems are connected together.

No question is silly, but having asked it, it does make me wonder how familiar you are with electrics. Please look at my recent reply in your rewiring thread!

The caravan fridge may have a 12V feed from the caravans 12 circuit, it only powers the control circuit, it does not cool the fridge. The fridges 12Vcooling circuit is only active when the tow vehicles alternator has sufficient capacity to power the fridge.

I strongly suggest you obtain copies of all the appliance's installation instructions.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Electrolux sold their caravan fridge business to Dometic who have some manuals on their web site. I doubt you will find yours but there may be some useful information that will help you.

Jun 9, 2019
Visit site
I found the wiring diagram for my fridge, it shows a 12v feed and a separate 240v then the gas line. I'm going to check the 12v feed today to see if all is well.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
As Has been said the 12v feed from the caravan battery will only power the fridge light and the control panel.
You will need the caravan plug into the car, with the engine running, to get any response from the 12v cooling then that feed will only be an equalising feed, it will keep a cooled fridge cool, it may cool a warm fridge but it would take forever.
There is also a Habitation relay in the circuit that when the engine is running disconnects the caravan 12v system and then connects the leisure battery and the fridge to the cars 12v system, running fridge and charging the caravan battery.

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Mine is an Electrolux Dometic, it has 3 feeds.

All go into a black connector on the top left front of the fridge, which in my van you get to by removing the sink.

One from the 240v consumer unit, and is inside a red plastic sleeve running into the box, you can see this on the left of the below picture.

One 12v from battery, one 12v from 12S towbar electrics, these are the two chocolate bar connectors seen to the right of the red sleeve.

20190424-141841.jpg

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
As Has been said the 12v feed from the caravan battery will only power the fridge light and the control panel.
You will need the caravan plug into the car, with the engine running, to get any response from the 12v cooling then that feed will only be an equalising feed, it will keep a cooled fridge cool, it may cool a warm fridge but it would take forever.
There is also a Habitation relay in the circuit that when the engine is running disconnects the caravan 12v system and then connects the leisure battery and the fridge to the cars 12v system, running fridge and charging the caravan battery.

I've had contrary results on testing this this morning. I'll go copy / paste my findings from another thread into here.

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
Copy paste from other thread.....

My fridge does cool off battery, it's been on the last 2 1/2 hours since my post earlier, having not been switched on for weeks, and the freezer compartment is ice cold, whereas it was at room temperature 2 1/2 hours ago. Cant really feel any heat kicking out the vent outside like you do when it's on 240v, but it is quite a warm day so I might just be unable to feel the difference on the back of my hand.

240v hookup disconnected, 12N and 12S plugs disconnected, master 12v switch on, switch on front of fridge set to the battery.

Maybe it would drain the battery very quickly, I have a Numax 105ah class B, but it definitely does work.

Not that it will ever run off the battery except perhaps when parked up at motorway services with car engine off.

It's an Electrloux Dometic with a front switch like this

20190522-221601.jpg

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
colinbal4 said:

My fridge does cool off battery, it's been on the last 2 1/2 hours since my post earlier, having not been switched on for weeks, and the freezer compartment is ice cold, whereas it was at room temperature 2 1/2 hours ago. Cant really feel any heat kicking out the vent outside like you do when it's on 240v, but it is quite a warm day so I might just be unable to feel the difference on the back of my hand.

240v hookup disconnected, 12N and 12S plugs disconnected, master 12v switch on, switch on front of fridge set to the battery.

Maybe it would drain the battery very quickly, I have a Numax 105ah class B, but it definitely does work.

Not that it will ever run off the battery except perhaps when parked up at motorway services with car engine off.

20190522-221601.jpg

The fridge is set on the 230 v feed the battery setting is just below that

Mar 19, 2019
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
colinbal4 said:

20190522-221601.jpg

The fridge is set on the 230 v feed the battery setting is just below that

Another copy post from the other thread.... :cheer:

I'm not that daft chaps, that picture was taken months ago, this morning it was set to battery and there was no 240v supply to the van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it operates on the caravan battery then it has not been wired up in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

Check the installation instructions.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Eddtheduck said:
Hi everyone,

We have a Electrolux fridge in our caravan than can run off gas, 12v & 240v.

Does anyone know if the fridge has 2 different feeds running into it 12v and 240v.

1 off the battery & 1 off the mains hook up.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Yes it needs two feeds to work of mains, 240ac and 12dc
one feed to work of gas , 12v dc
And two feeds to work of the car (battery), that's a feed from the car 12v dc and 12dc feed from the caravan battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts