Front wall and sides seem to be parting company

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for sime advice. The pictures attached hopefully show it better than I can explain.

The front of the caravan bounces up and looks like it's parting company with the chassis when I drive Iver a field. Now I've noticed that the front and side in the front corner are parting ways.

Any ideas how I can fix it?

Thanks

Gav

Attachments

• 20230330_122052.jpg
    20230330_122052.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230330_122052.jpg
    20230330_122052.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum, sorry to hear about the caravan.What caravan is it, as someone else on the Forum with a modern Eldiss is having the same problem and is possibly pursuing legal action.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Gelyorks, and welcome to the forum.

The pictures don't give us enough information to be able to offer any conclusive advice, because there are several different construction methods, and we cant tell exactly what has failed. Its always helpful to give details of make model and age of the affected parts or applaince.

However in general to resolve your problem, the area involved will need to stripped down to expose the structure. Unfortunately in many similar case the problem may be damp and rot in the corner. If it is rot all the affected wood will need to be replaced. You should also try to find where the water has been getting in. Common sources are gutter, awning, or panel joints. These will need to be resealed and made good.

Unfortunately, it does seem that caravans ( all makes) do have a poor record of keeping water out, all you have to do is look through this forum to see several threads about it.

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I can tell you it's a 1995 something haha sorry I'll have to go and see it tomorrow to get the make and model I've totally forgotten. Not helpful I know.

So the floor in the gas locked at the front is pretty much rotted away in the same corner. I'm more than happy to start pulling things out and find the issue. My biggest problems are understanding how it all fits together.

Things I need to know are how is the floor attached to the chassis, how is the floor attached to the walls and how do the walls attached to each other in the corner.

I suppose the other thing is, what is the metal piece that looks destroyed in the external picture called and what is its purpose.

Thanks

Gav

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I can tell you it's a 1995 something haha sorry I'll have to go and see it tomorrow to get the make and model I've totally forgotten. Not helpful I know.

So the floor in the gas locked at the front is pretty much rotted away in the same corner. I'm more than happy to start pulling things out and find the issue. My biggest problems are understanding how it all fits together.

Things I need to know are how is the floor attached to the chassis, how is the floor attached to the walls and how do the walls attached to each other in the corner.

I suppose the other thing is, what is the metal piece that looks destroyed in the external picture called and what is its purpose.

Thanks

Gav
I can't see any view of the exterior,

1995 means the construction will be wood framing with either ( depending on make an model) be bonded insulated wall board or it could still be aluminium outer skin insulation and Vinyl covered internal panels.

Contrary to the manufacturers protestations about caravans being highly technical products, which is why they fail so frequently...... their construction is usually pretty simple. For a competent DIYer all that should be required is to carefully note the constriction as you take it apart and rebuild in reverse order with new materials and non steel fixings. Most bodies are fixed to the floor panel which in tern is bolted to the chassis members. Its something of a symbiotic construction where its the combination of chassis and floor members that develops the necessary rigidity.

Do not be tempted to drill any more holes through chassis members as they will weaken the chassis.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Going by what you have said
“front of the caravan bounces up and looks like it's parting company with the chassis”

That would probably indicate that the screws that hold the side wall to the floor have snapped or pulled free. To repair could be taking the bottom rail off, assessing the timber to see if it is sound, if it is then it may be possible to lean up the surfaces, re glue and new screws

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Be prepared for a shock. What you see now in the gas locker will look far worse as you strip it down. But as said by others above the construction is simple. Timber , plywood, glue and stainless steel screws. Do you know when the caravan was last professionally serviced including damp check? This may give an indication just how long the damp has been progressing.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts