Front window leak on caravan

Jun 12, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

So we have brought an ace award brightstar caravan and on the front windows it appears two of the windows at the front is letting in water.

But !!

The water is coming in from the bottom of the window between the rubber seal and the window.

Is this known to be a common problem or is there something I can do to make the windows sit tighter to the rubber to stop any water coming in.
I have sprayed some water proof sealent on the rubber seals but with all the rain dont think its had time to dry so I'm aiming to spray again when we get a dry day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to ask any questions about caravans.

I'm sorry to read of your problem,

Whilst the water is appearing at the bottom of the seal, that does not necessarily mean that's where its getting in. Its more likely to getting into the seal at the top if the window, and working in's way round the edges to appear at the bottom. But without seeing it that's just an educated guess.

Also do you know if the water is getting in between the body and the seal or the window and the seal?

Either way it sounds as though the seals need replacing.

How old is your caravan?, if its within its manufacturers warranty contact your dealer. If its less than six years old, then you might be able to claim some of teh cost of repair through the your rights as a consumer set out under the old Sale of Goods Act, or the Consumer rights Act (2015)

Jun 12, 2019
Visit site
Its a 2005 caravan

I have checked behind the seals and they are completely dry
It's really strange the water takes a while to build up on the bottom of the seal but it looks like the window dose not sit tight on the seal I think when the water runs down the seal on the outside it gets half way down then starts to run to the bottom where the window does not sit tight if that makes sence and then forms a little pool of water.

Behind the seal and walls though are completely dry

I think your right I think the seals could do with replacing at least it's done and sorta gives you a piece of mind.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the Prof on the problem. However the caravan is of some age as that model has not been made for many rears so there is no manufacturers warranty. If you bought it from a dealer though the law still applies in the same way in that if you were sold a defective item you can ask for your money back if you claim within one month or have the defective parts repaired otherwise.
Not sure if the seals are still available through Swift who owned the name but if not try Seals Direct.
The problem needs to be addressed though before further damage is caused.

Jun 12, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for your comments guys :)

We have called a caravan repairer, who thinks it could be one of two things a window blow out.

Its were the window no longer performs a tight seal around the rubber which results in water pooling in the corner of the window between the window and rubber seal because over time the corners of the window have gone out of shape

Or

The rubber seals have gone flat which again results in the rubber not performing as it should when creating that tight seal.

I'm having the rubbers changed on the front windows and hopefully this will get resolved

But internal walls and inbetween the seals are still completely dry with no signs at all of damp and we have had heavey rain all week.

I will keep you posted

Jul 24, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your comments guys :)

We have called a caravan repairer, who thinks it could be one of two things a window blow out.

Its were the window no longer performs a tight seal around the rubber which results in water pooling in the corner of the window between the window and rubber seal because over time the corners of the window have gone out of shape

Or

The rubber seals have gone flat which again results in the rubber not performing as it should when creating that tight seal.

I'm having the rubbers changed on the front windows and hopefully this will get resolved

But internal walls and inbetween the seals are still completely dry with no signs at all of damp and we have had heavey rain all week.

I will keep you posted

Hi Chris.
Please could you tell me if you ever did get your front windows repaired or solved the problem, as I have the same problem on a 2005 Bessacarr just one of the windows is leaking and it's already had all new seals. But the same window is still leaking

Could you help Paul. 🙂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As this is Avery old thread and Chris never replied, it might be best to start a new thread about your window problem.
I tend to use dry silicone spray on my window seals.

May 13, 2023
Visit site
I just saw this thread and strangely enough I had a similar issue the other day. Water seeping down the seal and slowly pooling at the bottom then running down the inside of the wall. Turned out I had caused it myself. I had the window stays tweaked just right that if I opened the window, it stayed open without tightening. This meant that when I closed the window it had a slight tension at the top still which was enough to allow the seep. After loosening the stays again the window sealed properly. Might not solve this problem but was a lesson learnt and now shared.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I just saw this thread and strangely enough I had a similar issue the other day. Water seeping down the seal and slowly pooling at the bottom then running down the inside of the wall. Turned out I had caused it myself. I had the window stays tweaked just right that if I opened the window, it stayed open without tightening. This meant that when I closed the window it had a slight tension at the top still which was enough to allow the seep. After loosening the stays again the window sealed properly. Might not solve this problem but was a lesson learnt and now shared.
Welcome to the Forum, I know it is an old thread but your fix to the problem might help others.
That's what the forum is all about.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome SeSurfer. Every little tip,or experience is never wasted on here. A quick cheap,simple fix can save us caravanners a fortune before we jump the gun for an expensive repair.

Reactions: SeSurfer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts