Fuel going down but not for long!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
You can tell it's the end of summer can't you? Not by the change in the leaves or the loss of those sunny days because there were none of any significance.

You guessed it, the fuel prices are now plumiting, because the oil barrons can't sell enough now.

We might be in a world recession, but that should not disguise the fact that there has bee a near 30% drop in pump prices. We are now looking at 89.9p a litre. Now while I and every other driver will welcome this with open arms, one does have to wonder if the summertime prices were artificially pumped up to see just how much the public would actually pay for fuel.

How long can we expect to enjoy lower fuel prices, not for long I wager. By my reckoning, you can expect a 3p rise the week before christmas and then 2p between then and new year before it will magically drop back to the 89p it january.

Sorry for sounding so scynical but, do the petrol retailers realy think us motorists are so nieve!!

It is about time that Gordon and his croney's got serious with the billion pound profitering oil companies and forced them to price the fuel on an annual average price structure, rather than causing panic within the economy by reacting to daily blips.

There is far too much panic reacting going on and far too much "talking us into disasters".

Of coarse the great british public did nothing but grumble discontent. What ever happened to the Great British Bull Dog Spirit of the Winston Churchill era?

Steve L.

G

Mind you you should also note that the Government takes 40% in Cororation ax from these profits, plus the Fuel Duty and the VAT, all of which are linked to the price of oil.

Although he will huff and puff in public, he is not going to do anything that will reduce his grab of all taxes.

Actually you are probably right that prices will rise, but not for the reasons you state. Oil is priced in US Dollars and the Pound has dropped nearly 40% in value against the Dollar, so our cost for oil will rise. In addition, our wonderful friends in the Middle East do not like to see their income drop, so they will reduce supply to force up prices again.

You should also consider that 50000 people in the UK derive their income from the oil industry. That means a lot of cash into local communities up and down the country. Stop that and it will hurt a lot.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I do see your point of view SL.

But if one thinks back over the years, the petrol prices always go up just before a seasonal holiday be it christmas, easter or what we oldies used to call whitsun.

I'm sure Gordy is going to SPIN to nation to try to be seen as Mr joe public, when in reality he is watching his 40% stake in liquid gold.

Like all basic comodities, petrol is fast rising but slow falling in price and never seems to get back to the level it was when the dollar was that low.

Steve L.

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
It goes to show the price of fuel is still too high when Tesco can give 5p of every litre vouchers.

Tesco here in Holyhead have no competition for about 3 miles so hold their fuel prices higher than other places.

Andrew.

G

Unfortunately, I hear the Government exempted fuel from their VAT cut. Surprise! surprise!

May 25, 2008
Visit site
" Government exempted fuel from their VAT cut " I read this as VAT will be cut but the Excise Duty will rise by the same amount to cover the VAT. Not quite the same as when VAT goes back to 17.5 % the increase duty will stay. Stealth never leaves this bunch of **** feel free to add your own comment.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
It now means that if you reclaim the VAT on your fuel you will be losing 2.5%.

Did these people ever pay attention to the maths teacher when they were at school.

Thanks Gordon for the extra

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
So the VAT reduction in fuel is to be replaced with extra duty!!!

It therefore means that all transport costs to VAT registered companies will increase by the amount of the VAT reduction, as they cannot reclaim duty. They will pass this cost increase on to the consumer in price increases, not only on the goods that have supposably been reduced, but also on food etc.which haven't.

This will surely more than negate any 2.5% which Darling/Brown have got us all deeper in debt for.

What do we pay this lot for?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Spare a thought for all those catalogue companies and web site owners.All their prices will need changing now?

Does the vat reduction apply to PC mag??

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts