Fuel is Rising

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The newish vans might be from the insurance companies?They brought quite a few so they could put people into them after the floods this year maybe they are entering the market now?

My local dealer sold about 12.

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Mikey wrote: The newish vans might be from the insurance companies?⇦br/>

Good point - does that mean that the sellers get to keep the cash, after having the van paid for by their insurers? (as well as having their houses repaired) It's enough to make you think about leaving the taps on ;)

I'm a bit miffed at all these disaster bonanza's - I've paid insurance for donkey's years and never even had the cost of a broken window! Yet, all I see these days are people om TV standing by a pile of water damaged rubbish (often, rubbish *before* it was water damaged!) and telling the world that they are 'devastated'

They might well be 'devastated' - but I'm sick of paying for them via my insurance premiums!

It might be nice if they came back on TV after getting their new furniture and appliances to say 'thank you' -but, of course, they never do!

Time for a reappraisal of insurance - two claims, and they'll have to be 'devastated' without any further help from Joe Muggins who currently picks up the bill to make them happy again!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Mikey wrote: The newish vans might be from the insurance companies?⇦br/>

Good point - does that mean that the sellers get to keep the cash, after having the van paid for by their insurers? (as well as having their houses repaired) It's enough to make you think about leaving the taps on ;)

I'm a bit miffed at all these disaster bonanza's - I've paid insurance for donkey's years and never even had the cost of a broken window! Yet, all I see these days are people om TV standing by a pile of water damaged rubbish (often, rubbish *before* it was water damaged!) and telling the world that they are 'devastated'

They might well be 'devastated' - but I'm sick of paying for them via my insurance premiums!

It might be nice if they came back on TV after getting their new furniture and appliances to say 'thank you' -but, of course, they never do!

Time for a reappraisal of insurance - two claims, and they'll have to be 'devastated' without any further help from Joe Muggins who currently picks up the bill to make them happy again!
The insurance companies only provide the caravan to live in while the house is repaired when this is completed the insurance company will sell the van on.

I feel great sympathy for all the people that were flooded out,having pocessions ruined and items of sentimental value lost forever some things can never be replaced.I for one would hope it never happens to me.

This was freak weather,you are always paying extra in insurance to cover these eventualities car theft,caravan theft and even 9/11 we all have to pay.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I suppose I can count myself lucky at the moment.I have a company car and company fuelcard ( get taxed heavy though ).When the time comes for me to have my own car,Iguess I will be restricted as to where I go caravanning.

These fuel prices must be effecting the tourist industry or are they.If for instance I don't travel to Cornwall,but stay fairly local then the tourist industry in Cornwall would suffer but the local tourist industry would gain.Would I be the one losing out as I am not in my favourite place?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a senior on only inflation linked pension (running well below the true inflation rate) I too am irate over the latest fuel price increasess. Yes, the world wide price of oil will probably remain much where it is and continue to rise, but this accounts for less then half our fuel cost. I think I'm right in saying that this is the only comoditiy on which one tax is charged on a price already including another, so the Exchequer profit twice for every base price increment.

The two major Clubs between them probably represnt around 250,000+ voters. We should make it quite clear and in public that this number will in no way vote for any political party which does not undertake to apply an immediate reform to this taxation policy. I anticipate that the Clubs may say that political activities are outwith their terms of reference, but I'm sure if enough of us made our views known they would at least have to report the fact.

Second, if there is any suggestion of "direct action" in the form of rolling blocades as last time, please think again. I for one was very seriously inconvenienced by such action and say such a blockade using all three motorway lanes while the police looked on. My inconvenince was sufficient, but they also blocked an ambulance using blues and twos. A bit mindless.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I was in Belgium a few years ago when they staged a fuel protest.

Trucks blocked the motorways solid at all the interchanges, but no public cars were involved, TV pictures showed the truckers unbolting crash barriers to allow trapped cars to leave the motorway and get onto adjacent side roads.

They also blockaded the Belgian equivalent of their "Downing Street" in Brussels and played duets on their Kenworth airhorns up and down the street, to show their impatience, outside the Government buildings while the fuel talks were going on.

When the Metro went on strike, only the ticket collectors walked out, so the trains ran for free.

They got their fuel duty reduced - could that ever happen here?

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Vernon wrote: could that (fuel protest) ever happen here?

It would be difficult to overestimate the importance of fuel duty to the Government.

It underpins a huge swathe of public spending and the treasury will not (cannot) relinquish a single penny of it.

I also think that we have not yet fully realised the terrible mechanisms that have been put in place in this country to deal with just such perceived disorder a a fuel protest.

during the last UK protests the organisers were subjected to close scrutiny from MI5, telephones were bugged, ringleaders were photographed, dossiers were complied.

For the first time since Magna Carta their exists legislation in the UK which allows the Government, if it so chooses, to detain *anyone* for *anything* that the Government decides is 'an act of terrorism'

Would a fuel blockade be deemed an act of economic terrorism?, would participants (certainly, the organisers) be held with charge as terrorism suspects, or even face charges under the 2005 act?

Who knows? - but one thing *is* certain, the necessary powers now exist, and I for one have little doubt that if pushed hard enough the Government will use them.

And you thought we were still living in a free country?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The fuel prices are totally rediculas!! My daughter is at Somerset uni and we travel to Taunton running on the fumes in the tank as at the local morrisons store the fuel is 5p a litre cheaper than here in Herefordshire. If on area can be so much cheaper then why can't the rest do it!! Even Lockerbie in Scotland sel's fuel as low as 92p per litre at their sommerfield store garage.

I have posted on here before comments about having a total stoppage of all traffic just for 15 mins at a specific time on a specific day so that the whole nation could stand and be counted. But there never seems to be the enthusiasm, or the comaradary these days!!

Hauliers are on about rolling road protests as they are being clobbered left right and center, but what about the rest of us. Caravanning will certainly be affected as we use significantly more fuel to tow the vans, which in turn will reduce the weekend away trips. This will then have financial affects on site owners, who in turn will not require as much local supply of goods etc.

So realy fuel prices affect all of us, so why can't we all stand together and shout as one voice!!

Steve L.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, the simple answer is total apathy!!

This, and previous Governments have succeeded in taking away a whole raft of "freedoms", and we have let them.

Much as I hate to admit it, Geist is right in a lot of what he says, and if the "powers that be" cannot think of any other way of silencing the protests and public discontent, then they will abuse the anti terrorism laws to do it.

I am only glad that my days on this planet are numbered, but I feel very sorry for those who will be left behind, and if I had known when I was much younger what the future held for my children, I would not have brought them into this world.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I thought I saw on the 'News' yesterday that oil had dropped by 2p per barrel. So, will the Government act and reduce petrol at the pumps. You can bet your bottom dollar they won't --- they are too greedy for this move.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
The reduction in crude prices yesterday was around $2.00 a barrel, this will not reduce the cost of fuel in the UK.

It is the taxes that are far too high and of course the wholesalers and retailers are gradually increasing their margins now fuel is over the

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yesterday, the price of petrol dropped 2 Eurocents per litre at the petrol station around the corner from where I live, proving that the reduction in crude oil prices most certainly can be passed on to the customer, if the oil companies really want.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yesterday, the price of petrol dropped 2 Eurocents per litre at the petrol station around the corner from where I live, proving that the reduction in crude oil prices most certainly can be passed on to the customer, if the oil companies really want.
The price dropped another 2 Eurocents per litre this evening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts