Fully serviced pitches

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
On the subject of Colapz, has anyone bought the Colapz Wastepipe Kit and if so, which one, four or eight peice?

Yes. We have the eight piece set. It was expensive but as we spend 10-12 weeks on a fully serviced pitch in Portugal we think it's definitely worth it.

It's a brilliant piece of quality kit. We also bought the bespoke pegs which are height graduated in order to ensure a drainage gradient.

Some French friends admired them and want us to take one for them next time we meet them. They can be bought online in France but are now horrendously expensive due to you=know-what.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been on FSP's where the grey water drain is at the back of the pitch and is higher than the caravan waste water outlet.
It wouldn't matter what pegs or props were used, water would still have to flow uphill to enter the drain.
My solution has been to disconnect the grey waste corrugated pipe to lift the caravan end, and water trapped in the waste then flows into the drain.
This procedure has to be carried out often for it to be effective.
In some cases it would be easier to use the Wastemaster.

Reactions: PTA and otherclive

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I've been on FSP's where the grey water drain is at the back of the pitch and is higher than the caravan waste water outlet.
It wouldn't matter what pegs or props were used, water would still have to flow uphill to enter the drain.
My solution has been to disconnect the grey waste corrugated pipe to lift the caravan end, and water trapped in the waste then flows into the drain.
This procedure has to be carried out often for it to be effective.
In some cases it would be easier to use the Wastemaster.

Yes. That is too much of a "faff," particularly if an awning is erected.

In those circumstances I would just use the Wastemaster......unless the hill up to the disposal point was a cliff!

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We only ever use our caravan facilities. Many CL's have a tap at the pitch and permit clean grey waste water to be run into the hedge etc, and quite a few have proper drains.
The down side is that drainage in particular is expensive and as a result pitches are always in a straight line leading to the site main drain. We are on a beautiful CL now with one communal tap and permission to run waste into the drainage ditch. It is great and we are happy to show daily and still only use one aqaroll of water.

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Some of this makes me wonder just how much water some must get through to have collecting it and disposing of it as such big issues?

Probably domestically not being on mains sewage and using a very costly to empty cesspit, until very recently, conditions one to careful use?

This talk of twin 40 litre Aquarolls and piped systems, I have a single smaller version [ 27 litre?] that I fill routinely in the morning but not because its empty, but would become if not done that day.
It's not either as if caravan loos are flushed, only rinsed, and van showers are rarely power showers and with finite reserves of hot storage.

Seems if we are trying to morph a touring van into more of a clone of a domestic dwelling, somewhat defeating what it is and offers.
Whilst I do like to use FSP when available, we cope without - from experience we use just under 20 litres/day so I use 2x 10 litre containers to refill the Water Hog - it does amaze me the number of trips I see other caravanners collecting water or disposing of grey waste.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What has happened over the last year to “ prove” communal toilets are a health hazard. Why single out toilets, as many places have had restrictions placed on them for covid precautions. Rightly or wrongly. . Prior to Covid I’m not aware of communal toilets being listed as a health hazard. Your average kitchen dish cloth and peanuts on the pub bar are times more unhealthy.
Why did all campsites restrict the number of people entering the facilities if there was not a heath hazard?
Long time ago I picked up a foot infection from using a communal CAMC facility and still have the issue recurring today. That is when we stopped using facilities on site and will not use an on site shower, toilet bowl or wash basin.
I have to admit I would never eat peanuts off a pub bar as you have no idea when last they wiped the counter. Rather have them from a packet. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why did all campsites restrict the number of people entering the facilities if there was not a heath hazard?
Long time ago I picked up a foot infection from using a communal CAMC facility and still have the issue recurring today. That is when we stopped using facilities on site and will not use an on site shower, toilet bowl or wash basin.
I have to admit I would never eat peanuts off a pub bar as you have no idea when last they wiped the counter. Rather have them from a packet. :)
The restrictions were for Covid and similar restrictions were placed on buses, shops, and trains. But those specific circumstances don’t make them a health hazard in the wider sense. I got veruccas at a swimming pool but that didn’t stop me swimming.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The restrictions were for Covid and similar restrictions were placed on buses, shops, and trains. But those specific circumstances don’t make them a health hazard in the wider sense. I got veruccas at a swimming pool but that didn’t stop me swimming.
The chlorine in water should stop the spread of any infection like a verruca. I wish it was only a verruca infection that I picked up. Unfortunately it is a fungus under the nail so rather than infect anyone else, I prefer to use our own facilities.
However none of this should be a bother to you any more now that you are caravanless and able to rent villas in exotic places for your holidays. LOL! :D

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Whilst I do like to use FSP when available, we cope without - from experience we use just under 20 litres/day so I use 2x 10 litre containers to refill the Water Hog - it does amaze me the number of trips I see other caravanners collecting water or disposing of grey waste.
When we are touring in Europe moving on daily, we use site facilities and find that our 18L fresh water and grey waste carriers are more than adequate. These tanks weigh little and live in the front locker. I installed a float valve in the fresh water tank so it's also used on full service pitches in UK. I have been meaning to get around to installing a 12v pump in the grey waste tank (for sloping sites) which will work with a small bore hose. I have done a lash up test to show a 9L/min pump with 10mm hose works perfectly well lifting a good head. I'll do it one day.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we are touring in Europe moving on daily, we use site facilities and find that our 18L fresh water and grey waste carriers are more than adequate. These tanks weigh little and live in the front locker. I installed a float valve in the fresh water tank so it's also used on full service pitches in UK. I have been meaning to get around to installing a 12v pump in the grey waste tank (for sloping sites) which will work with a small bore hose. I have done a lash up test to show a 9L/min pump with 10mm hose works perfectly well lifting a good head. I'll do it one day.

We use more than 18l as we both shower every day plus we use the facilities in the caravan to wash the dishes. After all we have paid for them so why not use them?
Good idea regarding the waste water as annoying when you have paid for a FSP only to find that the site expect waste water to run uphill. Annoying when you pay the extra and then have to use the wastemaster. Also annoying is when the water tap is located where it cannot be reached unless you have the hose extension.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The last break we was at the drain was half way down the fully hardstanding service pitch so i just park the caravan right next to them about 12 ins of waste pipe .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The last break we was at the drain was half way down the fully hardstanding service pitch so i just park the caravan right next to them about 12 ins of waste pipe .
The trouble with that is that sometimes the drains can smell, and if you have your window open it can be very off putting.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If I only ever used site facilities that would preclude me from using a lot wonderful CLs, and CAMC sites like Altnaharra, Loch Naver. The manufacturers recognised a long time ago a high % of caravanners yearn to be self sufficient but comfortable. Hence the modern day caravan is well equipped with its own facilities.
Suffering from a crocked knee has made FSP almost mandatory for me ,just to continue my pleasures of caravanning.
That said we have a break of two contrasts in September, a week at St Ives FSP followed by another week at St Agnes Head CAMC no facilities at all site👍👍

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If I only ever used site facilities that would preclude me from using a lot wonderful CLs, and CAMC sites like Altnaharra, Loch Naver. The manufacturers recognised a long time ago a high % of caravanners yearn to be self sufficient but comfortable. Hence the modern day caravan is well equipped with its own facilities.
Suffering from a crocked knee has made FSP almost mandatory for me ,just to continue my pleasures of caravanning.
That said we have a break of two contrasts in September, a week at St Ives FSP followed by another week at St Agnes Head CAMC no facilities at all site👍👍
DD have a nice time on both breaks

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Clearly, from expressions here and evidence on the ground I am out of sync with "modern" thinking, I actually don't want to pay for things I don't "need", nor facilities we would not choose to use.

We are old, so actually getting out and moving, doing the extra few things a service pitch would relieve us from, is very much what our doctor orders to be able to carry on this hobby. As he said on the last visit, "keep doing what you do".

So no, we don't want or need them and don't want to fund them either, as well as carry the extra clutter to facilitate those odd days we could take "advantage".

100% +1

Fully serviced pitches shout serried rows of regimented tin boxes, each aligned to a peg or similar and with the minimum legal space between vans/motorhomes.

It's nothing to do with the cost but all to do with the "spirit".

Give us a CL with dustbins, toilet waste "hole" and fresh water tap. Add to that acres of unregimented (yes, not all I accept) space and the opportunity to face any direction and we are content.

Abroad we will usually use site facilities although, if stopping for a few days we still fill the aquaroll and have hot water in the van.

As is often said "each to their own".

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
100% +1

Fully serviced pitches shout serried rows of regimented tin boxes, each aligned to a peg or similar and with the minimum legal space between vans/motorhomes.

It's nothing to do with the cost but all to do with the "spirit".

Give us a CL with dustbins, toilet waste "hole" and fresh water tap. Add to that acres of unregimented (yes, not all I accept) space and the opportunity to face any direction and we are content.

Abroad we will usually use site facilities although, if stopping for a few days we still fill the aquaroll and have hot water in the van.

As is often said "each to their own".
I agree with your sentiments about pitches in row, and although we prefer full serviced pitches, we do not like the regimented rows like a car park. We love CL's and CS's and the informality is just one of the attractions. We would not sacrifice the informal aspect for a tap.
Right now we are on a most beautiful CL with masses of space and open view of the countryside. We have a short walk to a tap and I am happy to do this each day. No tap = no big deal.
Our waste is piped into a ditch.

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
Some really interesting comments.
I'm not bothered about FSP and would choose against if it cost extra, but will use them if they come with the booking. I'm really not a fan of hardstanding, which i think generally comes with FSP? though i do appreciate the usefulness people find these. My brother prefers the hardstanding FSPs, so each to their own!

However, I've just discovered caravan rallying, which is essentially in a field with only a tap at one end and somewhere for elsan disposal (& that's all :) ). Great, as you park and face any direction you want (generally) and it doesn't look like a carpark of aligned caravans and motor homes...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some really interesting comments.
I'm not bothered about FSP and would choose against if it cost extra, but will use them if they come with the booking. I'm really not a fan of hardstanding, which i think generally comes with FSP? though i do appreciate the usefulness people find these. My brother prefers the hardstanding FSPs, so each to their own!

However, I've just discovered caravan rallying, which is essentially in a field with only a tap at one end and somewhere for elsan disposal (& that's all :) ). Great, as you park and face any direction you want (generally) and it doesn't look like a carpark of aligned caravans and motor homes...
The CCC Temporary Holiday sites are good. You just get the field, water supply somewhere in the field and a cassette emptying facility. Good if you are self contained or just want a stopover en route to another site. Some require pre booking but most you just turn up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts