Fuses

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Please can anyone advise me. I'm a novice caravaner. I have an old swift corniche and the previous owner tells me the water pump keeps blowing fuses. The whole fuse box was fitted with 10 amp fuses. Should the different appliances have different size fuses and do they colour match the wires at the fuse box ?
Many thanks if any advice is given

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Please can anyone advise me. I'm a novice caravaner. I have an old swift corniche and the previous owner tells me the water pump keeps blowing fuses. The whole fuse box was fitted with 10 amp fuses. Should the different appliances have different size fuses and do they colour match the wires at the fuse box ?
Hi chay

Try a Google search for your models and model year instructions, this should tell you the fuse ratings.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: chay
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Swift website offers handbooks back to 2011
or you may find one on
even if not the exact model/year there may be fuse info for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The colours of the wires have no relationship to the colour of the fuses. You need to know what each fuse is for and the rating will have been determind by the caravan manufacturer. So having an owners hand book would be a good start.

However if a water pump repeatedly blows a fuse, it suggests the pump may be faulty. or possibly the wrong size of fuse has been put in the pump circuit most likely by the previous owner.

You don't tell us what type of pump you have, but I'm guessing its a submersible pump you drop into a water barrel. With these type of pumps is very important the pump is not allowed to run dry. Submersible pumps rely on the water passing through the pump to cool it. If there is no flow or worse no water the pump motor can begin to overheat, and that can soften and deform the plastic housing. This can cause the motor's shaft seal to fail and allow water into the motor, and that is usually causes the motor to fail quite quickly.

Reactions: chay
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As mentioned the fuse would blow for a good reason. However I am also wondering when last the caravan was serviced and if not for awhile I strongly suggest having ti serviced as soon as possible. Cost will be about £150 and well worth every penny. Also what is the age of the tyres?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
As mentioned the fuse would blow for a good reason. However I am also wondering when last the caravan was serviced and if not for awhile I strongly suggest having ti serviced as soon as possible. Cost will be about £150 and well worth every penny. Also what is the age of the tyres?
A 'novice caravanner' comes on to "Practical Caravan" forum and asks a technical question regarding a water pump fuse; and you 'strongly suggest ' he has the caravan serviced as soon as possible, and you also ask the age of his caravan tyres.

This has to be one of the most valueless comments made in Practical Caravan \Technical section.

If you cannot help a neophyte out with practical advice then at least refrain from suggesting unhelpful actions.

Indeed it is just downright wrong for you to be giving specious (and irrelevant by your own admission) advice to someone who may think that what you are saying is somehow valid or pertinent.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Chat,
Yes the different appliances will have different ratings of fuses, from say, 5, 7.5, 10 and maybe a 15 amp. Also in the main positive line from the battery might be a 20 amp fuse.
Constant blowing of the pump fuse initially points to a damaged pump. As the Prof mentioned.
EDIT.
Look at Gaffer Bills, post, I think that overrides my theory about the fuses.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A 'novice caravanner' comes on to "Practical Caravan" forum and asks a technical question regarding a water pump fuse; and you 'strongly suggest ' he has the caravan serviced as soon as possible, and you also ask the age of his caravan tyres.

This has to be one of the most valueless comments made in Practical Caravan \Technical section.

If you cannot help a neophyte out with practical advice then at least refrain from suggesting unhelpful actions.

Indeed it is just downright wrong for you to be giving specious (and irrelevant by your own admission) advice to someone who may think that what you are saying is somehow valid or pertinent.
Exactly what is wrong with my advice for a novice caravanner? Alarm bells ring loudly when they state all the fuses have been changed to 10 amp. Maybe I am more concerned about other people's safety than yourself.

I only offered helpful advice and nothing more. They are novice caravanners and may not be aware of various issues they we accept.

Go find someone else to lecture!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....I had a 1995 Swift Challenger and all the fuses for the appliances were red blade fuses @ 10 amps.
A Swift Corniche of that era was the same.
I agree with it being a fault with the submersible water pump which is almost certainly a Whale.
I would replace the pump.
You can get a Whale DIY kit that just replaces the pump itself for a quarter of the price of the standard complete pipe and pump replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie and Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have just Googled the fuse rating for a Whale submersible pump, assuming that is the pump in question. The consensus is 5 amp.

The problem therefore points to a pump fault. So I would agree with Gafferbill as the way to go.

A high flow pump can be expensive. If cost is an issue, and if your demands are low. It is possible to get a pump for around £15. Changing just the pump is not difficult. Cable ties are good to make a seal.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Gentle folk....

Calm down. IMO, there was nothing contentious about the advice provided.

While it may not have a been direct answer to the problem, there's nothing wrong in suggesting that someone new to caravaning should consider a service. This may identify the problem more effectively than we can do at a distance.

Reactions: Buckman
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Safety should be a prime issue if Chay is having a problem the right course of action has been taken IE seek advice on The problem this has been done by coming onto this forum and sharing the experience and knowledge available if the problem can be eliminated then going back to the safety issue I personally applause Buckman for bring to their attention further advice to those who may be unaware of relevant details

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But there is always someone, who doesn't know the answer to a question, and then goes on further to suggest as Buckman has what about your tyres, what age is your gas pigtail , and regulator.
Maybe a poster just wants relevant information about just one point, nothing else.
The caravan could be a restoration project and will not be in a situation to have a service.

TRENDING THREADS