Gap along top of fridge

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Our van is a 2007 Eccles Jade. On windy days a heck of a draft comes into the van from the space between the top of the fridge and the worktop. Would it be ok to close this gap or is it an essential part of the ventilation?

Thanks,

Dave

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
We have an Abbey that had the same problem, I sealed the gap with some clear mastic. The gap is only about 1mm wide and I reckon is just a fitting gap between units and top of fridge. It has been sealed for a year or two and no problems so far.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, there should NOT be any draught coming into the van from the top of the fridge.

It has most likely been incorrectly fitted at manufacture, or wrongly re installed after a service.

You can, and should, block this as soon as possible.

Best way is to remove top vent outside and use foam cut to size to press in above fridge making sure you avoid the burner chimney and flue.

G

If you 'search' around this Forum you will find a number of discussions on the topic of fridge installation. Basically, your fridge has not been installed correctly as there should be no gaps or access from the rear of the fridge to the inside of the van. Dometic supply plates to fit at the rear of the fridge to seal these gaps and Thetford have similar devices.

What it means is that the airflow across the back of the fridge is not working as it should, and you may find the fridge does not cool as much as you would expect in hot weather. There is alos the possibility of gas fumes, if you use gas, entering the van, which is definitely not desirable.

Get your dealer to have a look and fit the fridge correctly.

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
If you 'search' around this Forum you will find a number of discussions on the topic of fridge installation. Basically, your fridge has not been installed correctly as there should be no gaps or access from the rear of the fridge to the inside of the van. Dometic supply plates to fit at the rear of the fridge to seal these gaps and Thetford have similar devices.

What it means is that the airflow across the back of the fridge is not working as it should, and you may find the fridge does not cool as much as you would expect in hot weather. There is alos the possibility of gas fumes, if you use gas, entering the van, which is definitely not desirable.

Get your dealer to have a look and fit the fridge correctly.
I went back to my dealer chichester caravans with this problem and they just told me that most vans are like this

when you looked inside the draw on top of the fridge you could see daylight

spoke to the thetford helpline and they told me it was wrong so i sealed it myself with mastick

result no draft or any smell

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

The caravan manufacture is supposed to leave both the user and fitting instructions in the caravan with the appliance. Read them, and if it states the appliance should be sealed and it has not, then the you seller has failed to supply a caravan free from material manufacturing or design defects. This is breach of the Sale of goods act. It is also a breech of Gas Safety Installation and Use regulations that require the fitter to install a gas appliance in accordance with the manufactures instructions.

Despite the non-conformance of the installation, the danger from an incomplete room seal on a caravan fridge is in reality very low, because the size of the flame is relatively small, and the amount of fixed ventilation in a caravan is high. There is greater danger from the open flame on your cooker hob.

Never-the-less the caravan manufacturer's should be installing in full compliance with appliance manufactures instructions.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I also asked Chichester and Coachman about our Coachman Pastiche where a sliding shelf comes out above the fridge and below the fridge as well we can hold a piece of paper and it will flutter horizontal, both firms say its ok. I blocked up the sides but as it is built over the wheel arch i cannot do much about that draught and as for the sliding shelf above the fridge that cannot be done without disusing the shelf.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

The caravan is going in under warranty to have this fixed.

Yet another visit to the stealers!!!

Dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts