Gas 1st fill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OK- so I've heard people say 'you don't need to buy a bottle 1st time' - you just get hold of an empty one from somewhere and get it re-filled. But where can you? I've tried the local tip and they only have 13kg - likewise the building contractor I work for. So where can I get hold of an empty 6kg/7kg propane/butane bottle for nowt ???? (Wirral area)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Car boot sales and the free adds papers are a good source, remember that both of the small sizes in either colour are exchangable amongst themselves.

G

Just go to where gypsies have been ie old site they leave plenty of em lying around.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

Ok you've tried & failed to get an empty. That doesn't mean you can't get a bottle from the local gas depot, just means you'll spend more on the initial purchase when you buy one full with gas.

John

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello DaveW. If the 13kg is a Calor cylinder, then you can swap to another size at a Calor depot(ie not caravan shop).You can also swap red for blue and vice-versa.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, i live in Wirral, Prenton to be exact. Re: bottles, just a few points. The 7kg-ish size bottles are fine, but if you use a 13kg bottle it only costs about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave W. Most UK suppliers of LPG do not sell bottles, they rent/hire them. This is so they can check the bottles and valves. They have a duty of care to ensure thay are properly tested and prevented from being used if found to be damaged worn or substandard. Some companies will sell bottles, but you may have difficulty in having them refilled, as the fillers licence and insurance may make them liable if they fill a faulty bottle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for replies. Contacted 2 calor centres and both said that they wouldn't exchange a 13kg for a 6kg due to a short supply in the market. How practical is it to caravan with a 13kg - do they fit in the front locker ? and it takes me long enough to get the nose weight down to 75kg with my current small bottle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would think that with something as potentially dangerous as a gas cylinder, it would be worth the few pounds they cost to make sure the thing was safe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Barney, Of course gas is potentially dangerous, which is why the filling companies such as Calor regularly inspect the bottles when they are returned for refilling. The bottle is a pressure vessel and should be periodically inspected for damage and safety. Generally the bottles are prety sturdy, but the brass sealing valves do wear out, and of course are comparitively vulnerable to damage. How many caravanners who do own thier own bottles have them pressure checked or proffesionally inspected for safety?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts