Gas BBQ recommendations please

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I'm on my third Cadac, I've pased one on to a family member, I have one in the garden at home which I use for paella and similar and a Carri-Chef Deluxe with both the chef and paella pans in the caravan. However, I never use the Cadac as a BBQ in the true sense of the word as it's a real chore to clean it afterwards. I have a Weber Smokey Joe for BBQ's.
I also got a Black Friday deal recently, on a George Foreman Large Variable Temperature Grill & Griddle. This is considerably lighter than the Cadac and can be used in the awning when it's raining and I dont want to cook outside.

Reactions: Hutch
May 10, 2020
Visit site
I'm on my third Cadac, I've pased one on to a family member, I have one in the garden at home which I use for paella and similar and a Carri-Chef Deluxe with both the chef and paella pans in the caravan. However, I never use the Cadac as a BBQ in the true sense of the word as it's a real chore to clean it afterwards. I have a Weber Smokey Joe for BBQ's.
I also got a Black Friday deal recently, on a George Foreman Large Variable Temperature Grill & Griddle. This is considerably lighter than the Cadac and can be used in the awning when it's raining and I dont want to cook outside.
Yeah that fat pan can be a real bum ache to clean. I find filling it with water helps a great deal. Grease and burnt bits just pour away.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Spot on which is why we gave up on the Cadac. Less pain in the earhole! We have a Weber Smoky Joe for our caravan and it fits nicely into the front locker. :D

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
I am so embarrassed about that as my first two jobs were a mobile hot dog and burger van, and trainee chef in Lewis department store in Leicester. Mind you I did not progress beyond soup chef.....and no where near sous chef.
Ha! Aside from that, those are two fine examples of a Full English🙂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My Cadac, has almost given up, but I have ground out the base of it and it cooks very well, I have used it in the garden for the last two years. But have gone over to charcoal for the garden as the new one is too heavy for the caravan. 75kg. Aldi. £400. IMG-20220320-WA0005-1.jpeg

Reactions: Mark1962
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Cadac, has almost given up, but I have ground out the base of it and it cooks very well, I have used it in the garden for the last two years. But have gone over to charcoal for the garden as the new one is too heavy for the caravan. 75kg. Aldi. £400. View attachment 2972
Impressive piece of kit. Good job your certification is still valid 😀

May 11, 2021
Visit site
I know Cadac is the go-to answer, but here's my experience for inspiration (or to dismiss, your choice!).

When we got the 'van we were already tenters so had a gas camping stove - one of those two burners and a grill type things in a briefcase type design. Since we already had this I thought I would use it with the 'van. As an outdoors stove it works as expected, using the caravan's external gas outlet. I tend to use it with a cast iron plancha though, placed on top of the two burners. The plancha is double-sided so is flat on one side or ridged on the other. It's good for doing any smokey, smelly frying or griddling outside the 'van and I'll often use it at home if doing anything particularly smokey (eg griddling a steak).

I have my eye on one of those portable pizza oven things as a next option.

Jan 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,
After a considerable amount of consideration regarding all of your advice , and market research, I’ve bought a Weber Traveller BBQ. Downside is the price and the size, weight isn’t that much of an issue given that it comes with its own table (on wheels). I think it’s a little too big for just the two of us, but given the other options it won.
Cadac owners, how do you manage the cleaning after each and every cook? Unless I missed something the cleaning is a major pain in the a**e

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is only the grill plate that is a potential problem, the rest does not get that messy and to me the grill plate on any make gets just as messed up.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I put a small amount of water in the bottom which prevents the fat sticking.
With my old Cadac Thats what I used to do, I had the old pressed steel grill plate, And I would just use a brass BBQ brush, cleans off any burnt on bits. The non stick griddle plate just let it cool down, put it down for the dog to lick clean then just wash as normal.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I find cleaning the grill plate on the Cadac far easier than cleaning the wire grid on a bbq whether it be gas or charcoal. The Cadac drip tray if filled with a small amount of water washes up in a site sink just using hot water, scrubber and detergent. The Cadac comes up clean which is more than I can say for the two conventional bbqs ( Weber and Dancook) one of which has a stainless steel cooking grill.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I find cleaning the grill plate on the Cadac far easier than cleaning the wire grid on a bbq whether it be gas or charcoal. The Cadac drip tray if filled with a small amount of water washes up in a site sink just using hot water, scrubber and detergent. The Cadac comes up clean which is more than I can say for the two conventional bbqs ( Weber and Dancook) one of which has a stainless steel cooking grill.
We have the Weber charcoal grill and no issue getting the grill nice and shiny again. We use the wire brush.

Reactions: Mark1962
Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Only the 2 of us so we use the cadac 2 cook 2 small table top cooker with either the burners or the 2 small hotplates.
we use teflon sheets on the hotplates to take care of the cleaning problem.
since getting this 3 years ago we haven't used the caravan hob once.
not free standing but Heyho can't have everything and we don't like food that tastes like it was cooked on a bonfire.
But that may be just us!;)

TRENDING THREADS