gas bbq.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ive finally decided to consider buying a gas barbie and was wondering what others are using. i have always preferred real bbqs' in the past, but for ease of use, cleanliness and quickness i think gas could be the way forward. also how much gas do they typically use? cheers, dave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steve

By law for a gas product to be sold in the UK it must carry a data plate that informs teh observer of the gas type, pressure and consumption rate. If its not there then it cannot be legally sold, and trading standards should be informed

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was always a 'real' BBQ man but eventually I succumbed to a gas machine. What a brilliant decision. No more mess to clear up on the morning after and no waiting for the charcoal to build up sufficient heat.

Don't but a cheap tin BBQ, they simply don't generate enough heat to cook. The target price is between

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I guess there are two popular makes. The Beauclaire and the Cadaq. I have the BeauC, this has a very heavy and very large cooking plate, one side ribbed (no comments from Tina please) the other smooth. The gas control knob is very precise so heat levels are controllable. Apart from that, the the thing goes together easily and produces BBQ tasting food. The Cadaq is more versitile (a friend on mine has one) but I find it much more like a giant frying pan. Food tastes fried rather than BBQ'd. The cookng area is much smaller but you get loads of extras and you can even do roast meat under the roasting lid. They cost about the same. They come in fancy carry bags. The choice is yours. As far as gas usage is concerned, neither uses large amounts - I havn't notices a dent in my wallet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A big advantage that we have found with our Beauclaire is that it is so easy to clean and clear away. We use it on overnight stops on the way down to Spain where we would'nt bother getting the charcoal barbie out with all the dusty cleaning in the morning before we set off.

We also us ours for the cooked breakfast, which is very handy and means that I can carry on with the breakfast with a cuo of coffee while Er in doors clears away the bed (efficient use of labour)

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
We had a gas BBQ in the past but found food tasted more like grilled rather than BBQ'd. This was with the Cadac. Now there are just two of us we find the cheap disposable ones as good as any. They heat up quickly and when all done just pick up and dispose. We keep a couple of spares in the van for the times the British weather co-operates without either much weight or use of space.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You get the BBQ taste from the fat dripping onto the very surfaces of the BBQ and turning into smoke. The effect is the same with Gas, electric or charcoal. But with the first two you have to turn up the heat otherwise it'll just taste fried.

If you think that you're getting a flavour from the burning charcoals then you're probably getting a dose of carcingens. Properly burning charcoal (grey all over) should contribute no taste/odour. It's all in the fat I'm afraid!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I guess there are two popular makes. The Beauclaire and the Cadaq. I have the BeauC, this has a very heavy and very large cooking plate, one side ribbed (no comments from Tina please) the other smooth. The gas control knob is very precise so heat levels are controllable. Apart from that, the the thing goes together easily and produces BBQ tasting food. The Cadaq is more versitile (a friend on mine has one) but I find it much more like a giant frying pan. Food tastes fried rather than BBQ'd. The cookng area is much smaller but you get loads of extras and you can even do roast meat under the roasting lid. They cost about the same. They come in fancy carry bags. The choice is yours. As far as gas usage is concerned, neither uses large amounts - I havn't notices a dent in my wallet.
What?think your getting me mixed up with a certain CK!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I to am a "Charcoal Man" but this is not very practical when caravaning. This year at the NEC Show I went gas!. Bought a "European Outdoor Chef", superb bit of kit though it does come at a cost. Constuction is very strong (Made in Switzerland), not a bit like a Cadac. It has piezo ignition, can be used open or covered, has has ability to roast joints or complete chickens etc. and the smokey flavour is given as juices/fat drips onto cones which can also be inverted, underneath there is a drip kettle into which excess juices/fat are caught. Draw back is it's a bit bulky but I carry it in the back of the car and just add the leg extensions when we pitch up.

All in all excellent, but does come at a cost, expect to pay in excess of

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We have used a small gas BBQ for years, ever since we started going to the west voast of France where real BBQs are not allowed. No problems - they've worked fine. We spend around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks all for your comments, i bought a cadac a few weeks ago and after being a bit disappointed initially, i now wouldn't go back; no more dry black food or waiting hours until it can be moved (more kiddie friendly?)i wish i made the change years ago.

dave.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts