Gas bottle shortage

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Its been while since I toured and hadn't come across Safefill but from an initial very quick look it would seem there are more places to get Calor than refill your own bottle. Particularly here in the Highlands.

I didn't find the 6kg bottle that heavy - maybe its all the porridge. Not like our 19Kg bottles which are a challenge.
It’s nit that heavy and prior to Calorlite that’s all we used. I always carried two. Heavens knows why.
But even another extra 7 kg for one bottle is extracted from payload and requires more weight in the back for adjusting nose load.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tintentman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Safefill seem to have addressed these concerns. For a 7.5 kg bottle is around £80 (empty). Refill is now more accessible. But there is the added benefit of having so much more storage space in the gas cupboard.

John

*****Correction******

Either my memory is failing or there is some marking up going on. (Or a combination of the two). But the price for a 7.5 (empty), bottle I seem to have slightly understated. It seems to be around £170.

SEE

Sorry if I put anyone on a bum steer.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
*****Correction******

Either my memory is failing or there is some marking up going on. (Or a combination of the two). But the price for a 7.5 (empty), bottle I seem to have slightly understated. It seems to be around £170.

SEE

Sorry if I put anyone on a bum steer.

John
That’s par for the course and you rarely see one for sale used.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't use theat much gas nowadays, and as the touring is slowing down I will stay with the expensive calor gas, we are getting to our 70'S, and use fully serviced pitches so maybe 3 full bottles if that a year, mostly on the BBQ.
I worked it out , that it cost me more in Diesel fuel to get the cheaper gas. In my area.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Remember, legally , Calor gas bottles are the property of Calor and cannot be bought or sold by individuals,
But saying that I would.
I haven't heard of too many court cases. It would not be worth Calor Gas, to worry about to induviduals.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Remember, legally , Calor gas bottles are the property of Calor and cannot be bought or sold by individuals,
But saying that I would.
I haven't heard of too many court cases. It would not be worth Calor Gas, to worry about to induviduals.
Your right Hutch why would calor try to have people prosecuted for selling bottles they no longer need ? Because if they are sold it is most likely anyone who purchases a second hand bottle will repeatedly have it refilled with calor gas itself, instead discarded at the local tip or down some quiet country lane to become an eyesore for us all.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Your right Hutch why would calor try to have people prosecuted for selling bottles they no longer need ? Because if they are sold it is most likely anyone who purchases a second hand bottle will repeatedly have it refilled with calor gas itself, instead discarded at the local tip or down some quiet country lane to become an eyesore for us all.
I doubt a prosecution would be feasible as the loan agreement as no link to a criminal action if the bottle is not returned to Calor. It would be a civil matter but hardly one worth pursuing given the value of a bottle. So it’s not really that clear what action Calor could take other than issue an invoice for the value of the bottle backed by bad debt action if payment wasn’t made.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I doubt a prosecution would be feasible as the loan agreement as no link to a criminal action if the bottle is not returned to Calor. It would be a civil matter but hardly one worth pursuing given the value of a bottle. So it’s not really that clear what action Calor could take other than issue an invoice for the value of the bottle backed by bad debt action if payment wasn’t made.
Surely Calor wouldn't be involved at all - a customer can't "sell" the cylinder as they don't own it, so it would be for the "buyer" to sue the "seller".

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely Calor wouldn't be involved at all - a customer can't "sell" the cylinder as they don't own it, so it would be for the "buyer" to sue the "seller".
But the rental agreement requires the renter to return the cylinder to Calor when no longer required. Why would the buyer want to sue the seller? What are they sueing for? Realistically who in their right mind would even consider such action over a low value product.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Listen boys this is now getting silly! Someone pointed out that there is a gas bottle shortage i replied by telling them to look on shpock a buy and sell site, just to inform the poster that there is loads of calor bottles for sale up and down the country, if they really need a bottle go and buy one.
As for calor rental agreements i paid a deposit for a calor bottle over 20 years ago from a local caravan dealer, if i return the bottle my deposit will be returned ! The caravan dealer closed around 15 ago so i can wave goodbye to my deposit, So when you think about it this could be why there are so many bottles out there for sale.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
CHESHIRECAT, you get no refund after 7 years, and even then it might be just £5, I think last year Calor were offering £5 for a returned bottle if you were not replacing it as they had no bottles.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks mate but i dont want my deposit back' ive 5 or 6 bottles of different sizes and gave 2 away last year to someone who was just starting out, and ive only ever paid the deposit once in 20 year, just tried to help someone out but all the legal jargon kicked in.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Listen boys this is now getting silly! Someone pointed out that there is a gas bottle shortage i replied by telling them to look on shpock a buy and sell site, just to inform the poster that there is loads of calor bottles for sale up and down the country, if they really need a bottle go and buy one.
As for calor rental agreements i paid a deposit for a calor bottle over 20 years ago from a local caravan dealer, if i return the bottle my deposit will be returned ! The caravan dealer closed around 15 ago so i can wave goodbye to my deposit, So when you think about it this could be why there are so many bottles out there for sale.

So very true, one logical answer is all it takes. Problem there it then becomes a Q&A rather than a forum with opinions and options and ideas which all add interest.

Just my opinion you understand.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you have a bottle you dont want, why give it back to Calor for a fiver, when you can sell it for £10. Stops Calor for hiting a new client for a £30 deposit that will never be returned.
I will not get a return , on gas by fitting a safefill unit, I don't use that much gas even using the BBQ. Never seen a second hand fitment on SleesBay or elsewhere.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There are some Empty Calor Gas Bottles on Preloved and some are asking for a lot of money so i think you right to keep it and sell it yourself

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You don’t have to read it do you ?
Out

Reactions: Jcloughie

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If you have a bottle you dont want, why give it back to Calor for a fiver, when you can sell it for £10. Stops Calor for hiting a new client for a £30 deposit that will never be returned.

For info:

"Times are a changing" it is now £40 not £30 for the sizes most of us are going to use.
The "buy back" is a mean £7.5 for those who can't find any agreement, and only a "tenner" for those that can 7 years into the contract.
Even for that you need, not to go to a dealer, but a Calor Centre, and now during Covid times there are challenges in doing that in person.

Little wonder, therefore they in reality get traded other than officially, when the payback amounts to less than a gallon and half of diesel lumping it back.

LINK

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As another bit of info:
If you instead of focusing on Calor, but go to the other very widely retailed competitor, "Flo-gas", then you acquiring a bottle becomes massively more open than just with Calor.

You don't need to "find" a Flo-gas bottle specifically, as they over the years have acquired a massive range of brands, obscure ones that open up the chances of finding one if not in a hedge one available on those various social sites.

Flo-Gas traded "Brands"

Flo-gas, also offer a FOC home delivery service, so no diesel used chasing an exchange.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As another bit of info:
If you instead of focusing on Calor, but go to the other very widely retailed competitor, "Flo-gas", then you acquiring a bottle becomes massively more open than just with Calor.

You don't need to "find" a Flo-gas bottle specifically, as they over the years have acquired a massive range of brands, obscure ones that open up the chances of finding one if not in a hedge one available on those various social sites.

Flo-Gas traded "Brands"

Flo-gas, also offer a FOC home delivery service, so no diesel used chasing an exchange.
Are Flogas cheaper than Calor for standard bottled gas. I looked at their Gaslight a long while back but availability was very poor.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Are Flogas cheaper than Calor for standard bottled gas. I looked at their Gaslight a long while back but availability was very poor.

The suggested retail prices vary across the specific products you are interested in, here are the two links to inspect for what is your product of interest:

Flo-gas suggested pricing

Calor, suggested pricing

However, as so often there is a big "but".

Calor in my experience put a tight control on discounting, indeed far more than they seem to on "surcharging".
Though Flo-gas is extensively used as a trade product and available through builders merchants and the like, where there are typically discounts and "accounts" on offer, just for the asking, so the price paid can be quite different to the "suggested retail" pricing structure. Or I have been very lucky.

Gaslight became "difficult" to exchange but IME this has all changed, as I suggested earlier possibly reflecting Homebase's ownership issues, and now they are very readily available. Any retailer can get it, many now stock it. Reportly, B&M are stockist of Gaslights, not something I have explored yet, having an "attractive" source.

Along with this unfortunately, there has been a nasty recent price hike.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts