Gas bottle shortage

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But the rental agreement requires the renter to return the cylinder to Calor when no longer required. Why would the buyer want to sue the seller? What are they sueing for? Realistically who in their right mind would even consider such action over a low value product.
However the chances of you having the original bottle for the loan agreement are extremely remote and same applies to paperwork. Many people have complained that the paid £x amount deposit but when they returned the bottle they were only offered a percentage of the deposit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However the chances of you having the original bottle for the loan agreement are extremely remote and same applies to paperwork. Many people have complained that the paid £x amount deposit but when they returned the bottle they were only offered a percentage of the deposit.
No it’s not the original bottle. Loan agreement kept with caravan documents so if I had to exchange Calorlite to standard I would be able to then exchange the standard bottle for one of the Calorlite replacement design. But Calor has walked away from that option now.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No it’s not the original bottle. Loan agreement kept with caravan documents so if I had to exchange Calorlite to standard I would be able to then exchange the standard bottle for one of the Calorlite replacement design. But Calor has walked away from that option now.
Also chances of getting any deposit back are now zero.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Also chances of getting any deposit back are now zero.

The original rental agreement contains the scales of repayment based on time - I originally rented 2x Aluminium 7kg Butane cylinders at £18 each back in 1983, if I gave up caravanning I should get 25% of the original fee, so £9 for the pair - of course, they've been exchanged for steel 7kg butane, steel 6kg propane and Calorlite 6kg propane over that period of time, all done within Calor's exchange groups.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks mate but i dont want my deposit back' ive 5 or 6 bottles of different sizes and gave 2 away last year to someone who was just starting out, and ive only ever paid the deposit once in 20 year, just tried to help someone out but all the legal jargon kicked in.
Funny how the legal jargon "kicked in" it was after someone posted about "prosecutions if I recall correctly" :eek:

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I use the BP Gas lites , now Flo Gas.
They have been harder to get hold off and even Flo gas haven’t got any 6kg ones.
However B&M stock them and even Flo Gas told me to go there. Not sure how nationwide B&M are but nice to now we have a better supply locally. (Particularly after the demise of our local Homebase)
One problem I did have in the summer was buying an adaptor for the bottle whilst in the Scarborough region. Spent hours phoning and driving around without any luck. The o ring had perished, what surprised me was the lack of knowledge of some of the caravan dealers, they just didn’t understand what the adaptor size was, although one confidently told me they had them in stock, only for me to find after a 40 minute drive that they had made a mistake! A couple of the parts places knew exactly what I wanted but no stock.

Reactions: otherclive

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Odd that getting an adaptor for a Gaslight proved such a struggle, as it is only a 27 mm clip-on which is used by Calor with their Patio gas cylinders, a commonly available product.
Probably in hind sight garden centres the more typical outlet for Calor's Patio gas, would have been a better source than those camping outlets you tried.

For info, the 27 mm clip-on is also used by the French Le Cube, but for them you need the vertical outlet version, whereas the Gaslights and Patio gas can also use the horizontal outlet as well as the vertical outlet type.

"27 mm Clip-on "vertical outlet " type

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Odd that getting an adaptor for a Gaslight proved such a struggle, as it is only a 27 mm clip-on which is used by Calor with their Patio gas cylinders, a commonly available product.
Probably in hind sight garden centres the more typical outlet for Calor's Patio gas, would have been a better source than those camping outlets you tried.

For info, the 27 mm clip-on is also used by the French Le Cube, but for them you need the vertical outlet version, whereas the Gaslights and Patio gas can also use the horizontal outlet as well as the vertical outlet type.

"27 mm Clip-on "vertical outlet " I could have got a regulator from a diy store but not an adaptor. Don’t you love Bulkhead regulators 😀

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Fortunately, our 2008 continental van came without one of those, but a universal, 30mb cylinder mounted regulator, featuring the LH butane thread plus, a POL propane adaptor.
So I just acquired a 27 mm clip-on, Camping gaz and both 21 and 20 mm clip-ons covering all my needs here and in France.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Just been down to where we store our caravan, and someone has dumped 2 flow gas bottles where people put there rubbish a 13 kg and a 7 kg the 7kg seems to have gas in it there a mustard colour, thinking i might put them on shpock if theres a shortage! Money to be made.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I use calor light and there not snap on neither are my calor 13kg that i use for work purpose, but the flow gas bottles were snap on! Will go and get them tomorrow to sell on someone might need them.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I use calor light and there not snap on neither are my calor 13kg that i use for work purpose, but the flow gas bottles were snap on! Will go and get them tomorrow to sell on someone might need them.

But neither are your Calor Butane, they are Propane; these Flo-gas ones are Butane. As I said Calor's butane use the same 21 mm clip-on.

You could find they can be readily exchanged either way by an accommodating Flo-gas dealer.

The 13 kg Flo-gas butane is not even the same bottle size as a 13 kg Calor Propane, it is a smaller bottle, what are sometimes called Euro bottle. If that is exchanged for propane it would hold 11kgs. It is a useful size for many motorhomes and some caravans that standadise on accommodating the continental preferred size. So there ought to be takers out there.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts