Gas hose

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just heard from workshop servicing the caravan that it has passed almost everything on its second service. The problem was the gas hose was due for replacemnet presumably because they used old stock when building the caravan. Might be worth checking yours as I am not sure how widespread the problem is. I know it has happened with tyres before.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Has the workshop misunderstood the date on the hose? It represents the date it left the factory not the date it needs replacing.

Service life depends what type of hose/pigtail it is - I'm using stainless pigtails with a 20-year life.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The date is 4/2015 despite it being a 2018 model. Looks like it was nearly three years old when they fitted it.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Rubber ones have a five year life. Usually says on when they expire, as well as manufacture date. Have you thought about a stainless one.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rubber ones have a five year life. Usually says on when they expire, as well as manufacture date

No they dont.
They only have manufacture date.
Expiry is determined from when they first have gas through them, providing they have been stored correctly.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Rubber ones have a five year life. Usually says on when they expire, as well as manufacture date. Have you thought about a stainless one.
Hi,
Ithought the stainless steel outer sheath only provided mechanical protection and that the inner was just butyl rubber? like any other rubber hose that deteriorated like any other that came into contact with gas,Although it beats me why something that isn't affected by gas isn't used in gas hose manufacture.Maybe it hasn't been invented yet.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Ithought the stainless steel outer sheath only provided mechanical protection and that the inner was just butyl rubber? like any other rubber hose that deteriorated like any other that came into contact with gas,Although it beats me why something that isn't affected by gas isn't used in gas hose manufacture.Maybe it hasn't been invented yet.

It’s likely that the inner is PTFE hence its longer life.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As otherclive has said, the inner lining is PTFE and is very resistant to LPG which is an acidic seeking gas, and does not age in the same way as other materials used for gas hoses.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As otherclive has said, the inner lining is PTFE and is very resistant to LPG which is an acidic seeking gas, and does not age in the same way as other materials used for gas hoses.

When I was gainfully employed we had air, hydraulic, nitrogen and hydrogen systems all working at around 3000psi. The introduction of ptfe lined hoses reduced maintenance significantly and improved safety too. Brilliant bits of kit.

Reactions: Damian
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our pipe had only the date of manufacture but it may be other suppliers do put the expiry date on as well as a guide to owners. The manufacturing date probably means nly the service engineers know when it is due to be replaced.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our pipe had only the date of manufacture but it may be other suppliers do put the expiry date on as well as a guide to owners. The manufacturing date probably means nly the service engineers know when it is due to be replaced.

I have never come across a gas hose with an expiry date on it as it is unknown when it would be put into service and the situation could arise where a workshop had a number of hoses which had not been used had to be thrown away.

Their expectant life is from when gas is first passed through them.

It has always been my method of working to put a sticker on the bulkhead with the date of change when the hose was replaced and a "next due" date to inform the owners when it will need changing.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Stainless one are the best thing since sliced bread! no spanner required either, much easier to change in a howling gale and pouring rain, yes we do caravan a lot in Scotland.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
On a slightly different note, many people report having to have the pigtail hose changed because of the date. I have just unexpectedly changed my van (due to a split in the front panel of my other one).

Anyway, when we collected the new van the dealer asked if I wanted to purchase a new pigtail. As the one on my old van was only put on new last year there didn't seem any point. So I reused the old one.

In our first trip away, on the second to last day I changed the gas over only to be greeted by a leaking sound when turning the adapter on.
A quick inspection showed that the o ring in the adapter was perished and split.

So when our diligent approved service folk service the van, they read the date on the hose, but in the 14 years I have had vans dealer and mobile serviced, I have never had anyone pass comment on the gas bottle adapter.

What was even more surprising was how difficult it was to buy a new one in the Scarborough region, I run BP gaslights (now flo gas) and they have a 27mm connection.
Tried everywhere in the area with, no luck,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Going by the comments above it seems that the gas hose needs to be replaced at 5 year intervals? We cannot use the stainless steel one with the handwheel as cannot tighten the wheel hard so need one where a spanner can be used.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Going by the comments above it seems that the gas hose needs to be replaced at 5 year intervals? We cannot use the stainless steel one with the handwheel as cannot tighten the wheel hard so need one where a spanner can be used.

AFAIK you can get stainless braided hose in both versions, with hexagonal nut or with handwheel

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
I have never come across a gas hose with an expiry date on it as it is unknown when it would be put into service and the situation could arise where a workshop had a number of hoses which had not been used had to be thrown away.
Here in France all gas hose (domestic and caravan/motorhome) have exchange by dates stamped on them, usually 5 years.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts