Gas in Europe

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Similar qn to John's on 5/3/08.

I'm a new motorhomer & am going to Europe for 3 months & much of this time in France & Italy, Unfortunatel I've been ill advised & have got 2 x 10kg BP gas light bottles with 27mm clip-on regulator which I've since discovered aren't avilable in France or Italy.

Firstly what should be the best alternative , maybe keep 1 BP bottle & get a Prima/Total bottle & regulator in France or Camping gas which I believe is expensive & the bottles are small & don't last long ?

How long might a bottle last anyway ?

Barry

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Barry,

How long is a piece of string?

Last year we went to France & Spain for 4 weeks.

We took a 13kg & 3 1/2kg Propane. We used the 3 1/2kg & started on the 13kg.

We used EHU at every site & only used gas for the oven & rings, not very often.

Fridge EHU

Hot water EHU

Kettle EHU

TV, sky, dvd EHU

Your best option is to get a French gas bottle whilst in France. Antargaz is available all over France and is propane so will work in all climates. You will need to fill in a form and pay a deposit of aprox 20 Euros. The gas is then approx. 25 euros for each exchange (13Kg). The regulator costs about 15 euros and can be purchased at most DIY stores.. We have found that if we only use the gas for cooking one bottle will last approx 3 months. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

If you have a van with the new fixed regulator, can I point out that the butane tail EXACTLY fits the french propane bottle (15kgs). This means that you can buy the french bottle and use it to your hearts content. It will last 'forever' and you will know that you could put a UK bottle with it and have versatility.

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Greetings,

If you have a van with the new fixed regulator, can I point out that the butane tail EXACTLY fits the french propane bottle (15kgs). This means that you can buy the french bottle and use it to your hearts content. It will last 'forever' and you will know that you could put a UK bottle with it and have versatility.
Hi used 4.5 blue bottle adaptor on french bottles for years .

Discoverd this by chance when comparing continental adaptor

with calor one .Larger nut on conti one but same thead.

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi Barry, do you have a 27mm regulator or adaptor, I don't know how old your outfit is with regard to EN 1949 (30mbar). I know that the 27mm adaptor will fit 'Le cube' gas bottles in France though I don't know the dimensions, it may not fit in your gas locker. You can rent and get most of your deposit back whilst in France. Check the GASLOW website. I think www.gaslow.co.uk. Hope this helps. Regards, Mike.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Barry,this was my thread on the 3/3/08 to John. I went to Italy/France for three months with 2x5kg BP Light Bottles. One bottle was used on the van the other on the gas barbie. We had to use quite a bit on gas heating as we were there very early in the season. with 2x10kg. I am positive you will not use any where near all your gas especially if you are on site with electric.JTS.

Hi John, you could cover most gas problems,but I think you will have to put your hand in your pocket - not very deep though.

All the following adapters and fittings if you do not have them are available from GASLOW.

1) Buy BP Gas Light (1 bottle) and use the 27mm adapter, and as Lutz has said BP Light is available in many European countries. The 27mm adapter also fits the French "Le Cube" bottles and some Portuguese bottles.

2) Buy a Camping Gaz adapter. Camping gaz availabe throughout Europe and a good standby. Take a empty bottle, our recycle centre always have them for a couple of quid.

3)Buy a 20mm adapter - will fit Elf, Twiny and Malice bottles in France.

4)Buy Jumbo Gas adapter to fit Spanish and Portuguese bottles via Butane hose.

Hope this helps.JTS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts