Gas reg

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi my brother in law has a motorhome on the gas bottle he has a 30mbar reg on the propane bottle is it ok to change it to a 37mbarposted the same thing in general by accident

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Definitely NO

Check the appliances inside the vehicle. They should all have a gas data plate that will specify the types of gas and the pressures they are designed to use. You should never supply an appliance with anything it is not designed or approved for it is potentially dangerous and strictly illegal.

I cannot codone using a differently set regulator but if it has happened by accident that a 37mBar regulator has been fitted to 30mBar system it is unlikely to have caused any damage. If you have any doubts what so ever about a gas installation you should always seek professional help.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof.
The current bulkhead fitted regulators are rated at 30bar.The makers say you can use butane or propane which I believe range between 29 and 37 bar
I suspect this may be causing some confusion due to a lack of understanding.
Interestingly your point about individual appliance ratings is probably something no one thinks about.
What do you suggest the OP actually does use as a regulator depending on the gas , the appliances and the anomaly of a bulkhead unit which allegedly suits all.
I honestly don't know myself :blush:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Out of curiosity i have found this identification plate with various pressures being identified.....
Would the Prof please explain in simple words what they all mean please .... :kiss:
IE: G30, G31, CAT I3 + & CAT 13B/P ( i presume the latter are model's )
spinflo_data_plate.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Prof.
The current bulkhead fitted regulators are rated at 30bar.The makers say you can use butane or propane which I believe range between 29 and 37 bar
I suspect this may be causing some confusion due to a lack of understanding.
Interestingly your point about individual appliance ratings is probably something no one thinks about.
What do you suggest the OP actually does use as a regulator depending on the gas , the appliances and the anomaly of a bulkhead unit which allegedly suits all.
I honestly don't know myself :blush:

Hello Dusty,

I can understand the possible confusion, as some appliance do carry a data plate with this sort of marking on it

Gas Category CAT I3+ (28-30/37)
BUTANE (G30) 28-30 mbar
PROPANE (G31) 37 mbar

CAT I3 B/P (30)
BUTANE (G30) 30 mbar
PROPANE (G31) 30 mbar

The small but critical difference is reference following the word CAT.

In the UK our current commercial LPG products conform to the "CAT I3 B/P (30)" not the "CAT I3+ (28-30/37)" This defines the detailed formulation of the commercial LPG's supplied in the UK, and the permitted working pressure for the gas supply for appliance burners to conform and provide both the correct combustion, and efficiency and safety of the product.

LPG appliances currently sold new sold in the UK must conform to the I3 B/P (30), and for a uk supplied installation the gas pressure must be 30mBar.

Remember that even if an appliance is rated for 37mBar, the installation pipe work will only have been approved for use with 30mBar pressures.

Whilst technically the difference between 30mBar and 37mBar is practically very small, in some appliances the 7mBar excess pressure of a 37mBar regulator may cause it to malfunction or not meets its safety requirements.

I used to work for a manufacturer of gas appliances, and some had to be rejetted or adjusted (things like the form of the injector, and length of the Venturi tubes to make them compatible with different gas Categories.

Granted the dangers of 37 vs 30mBar are actually small but they are there and nonetheless it is illegal to supply gas at an incorrect pressure. :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts