Gas regulations

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I dont carry a spare regulator OC, but I am aware they have a shelf life. Im having my caravans erviced on Wednesday and Ill be asking the engineer his opinion. Luckily he is a guy I have dealt with for many years and one of the few tradesmen I have ever met that I would trust implicitly, not just for honesty but also ability.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
This Calor Technical Publication, LINK, again, only published for "guidance" details some interesting aspects on hoses and tubing for vapour LPG, and I suggest from this source probably among the better informed we have ready access to.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With regard to regulators they have a service life of 10 years from the date they first pass gas through them.
It matter not how much you pay for one, they all have the same service life, despite what the advertising "blurb" says.

The Truma regulators are two stage units and have been the source of many problems over the years.

The favoured regulator , and has been for some time, is the Clesse single stage regulator which does not have the same issues and costs a lot less than those offered by Truma and Gaslow.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The Truma regulators are two stage units and have been the source of many problems over the years.

What problems have they been causing, it would be good to have that knowledge in advance?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Slight aside, does anyone use the auto change over regulators as auto change over.

I only ask as personally I don’t like them. Trying to determine which bottle is in use is not clear and on the vans I have had, you need to be a contortionist to look anyway.

By letting a bottle run out. Then manually switching over, I know where I am, and when a new bottle is needed.

OK, it may be dark, it may be raining, but not usually a great inconvenience.

John

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Looking at the link the Prof provided
What link? the Prof has not said anything in this topic?

The problems are that the regulators have become blocked , whether this is because the gas leaches oily residue from the pigtail or whether it is heavy ends from the cylinder is not proven one way or the other.
In a Truma regulator there are two diaphragms made of a synthetic material and a very small needle valve .
The diaphragm swells and closes around the needle valve, stopping the gas supply.

A single stage regulator has a spring loaded single membrane which controls the gas supply with no needle valve or anything to stop the supply of gas.

There is however a long term downside, but one which would not affect an owner who changes caravans , and that is that any residue is allowed through to the van pipework, which in extreme cases can cause blockage of the low pipework, but most is burnt off during use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thingy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
What link? the Prof has not said anything in this topic?

The problems are that the regulators have become blocked , whether this is because the gas leaches oily residue from the pigtail or whether it is heavy ends from the cylinder is not proven one way or the other.
In a Truma regulator there are two diaphragms made of a synthetic material and a very small needle valve .
The diaphragm swells and closes around the needle valve, stopping the gas supply.

A single stage regulator has a spring loaded single membrane which controls the gas supply with no needle valve or anything to stop the supply of gas.

There is however a long term downside, but one which would not affect an owner who changes caravans , and that is that any residue is allowed through to the van pipework, which in extreme cases can cause blockage of the low pipework, but most is burnt off during use.

Apologies JTQ #27

John

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Are they applicable to a caravan to only domestic? If you have a Cadac grill and attach it to the caravan's gas oulet meant for the job and use a gas hose that is approximately 3m in length, are you committing an offence where you can be prosecuted in a court of law?
Hi,
Not sure what regulations are applicable. (if any)One of our vans had an external gas connection point for a barbecue.The instructions for the barbecue specified a maximum length for the gas hose.When we reduced the length to the max length the barbecue worked a lot better

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Gas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998 are a UK document and they they are not gas type specific.

Form the document text ;
  • “gas” means any substance which is or (if it were in a gaseous state) would be gas within the meaning of the Gas Act 1986(1) except that it does not include gas consisting wholly or mainly of hydrogen when used in non-domestic premises;
It outlines who is classed as the "responsible person" and therefore required to ensure the system is fully and correctly maintained.

It sets out the requirement for the authorisations and competence and quality of workmanship required to work on differnt type of installations from the point of view of installing, commissioning, servicing repairing and removing appliances and fitting including testing.

With regards pipe lifetimes ... It requires all equipment used must have the relevant approvals be used in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, and accepted codes of practice. and that work is carried out according the accepted codes of practice.

It sets out certain statutory duties with regards design and testing of installations.

In relation to caravans the regulations state :-

• (5) Nothing in these Regulations shall apply in relation to the supply of gas to, or anything done in respect of a gas fitting on—
  • (a)a self-propelled vehicle except when such a vehicle is—
  • (i)hired out in the course of a business; or
  • (ii)made available to members of the public in the course of a business carried on from that vehicle;
  • (iii)used primarily for domestic or residential purposes;
  • (e)a caravan used for touring otherwise than when hired out in the course of a business.

This provision does need have this note applied.

Whilst the duties of the owner of such exempt vehicles are less onerous, it does not exempt them from prosecution for failing to ensure all work is carried out to the accepted standards and procedures. Failure to do so can still result in criminal charges under H&S legislation.

It must also be noted that allowing some one other than the owner to borrow a caravan on a no cost basis is technically still hiring at £0 and thus the full force of the regulations apply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts