Gas Usage , How much do things use?

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi

a couple of months ago someone posted very interesting info on how much gas things in a caravan use per hour.

I'm interested to know how much a fridge and a water heater would use [in hot weather] so i can work out if my twin 7Kg Propane bottles will last the weekend.

Cheers

Gareth

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That is an impossible question to answer as it depends on what demands the weather , personal requirements an van size places on appliance usage.

However in my experience it would have to be a very cold winters weekend to use up 2 7 kg bottles.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Metz is right, or look in the manual if you have one.

For example, the manual for our Electrolux fridge says that our fridge will use .19Kg of gas in 24 hours at setting 1, .24Kg at setting 2 and .36Kg at setting 3. These figures are (it states) a guidance only but at least it will give you some idea. This means that at setting 2, I should expect a 6Kg propane bottle to last me 600 hours, or 25 days continuous use.

My Trumatic fire give a guidance of ...

Butane

136 g/hr on max

58.5 g/hr on min

Propane 134 g/hr on max

57.6 g/hr on min

I don't seem to have the manual for my water heater which is a Carver Cascade 2 gas only 9 litres. Perhaps someone else will know? (I'd like to know)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We do a lot of rallying and even in deepest winter would not expect to use that much gas in a week.

Last year we spent approximately 80 nights away in all weathers in all seasons (wet summer incl) of which appx 1/2 were on EHU and we definitely used less than 45 kg of propane in all that time.

Working on that I would say 1 kg per night would be a generous allowance.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Guys

I missed the point before the 19 [two posts up], nearly had a heart attack!!

...so i think i'm safe with 14Kgs for 3 days , no need to have cold showers!!

Cheers

Gareth

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Gareth

Over the cold (sub zero) snowy Easter weekend we used a whole 5kg BPlight bottle in four nights. And that included having the electric heating on as well. Mind you, we were very comfortable and the shower room was particularly warm! (Bailey Senator Indy)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The mains electric element of my fridge failed last year in Spain and i changed onto gas - Camping Gaz butane. Reading the Dometic book gave me a figure for gas consumption but I actually used nearly twice the quoted amount, even after turning the fridge down to a low setting (i.e. chilling not freezing) which a Dometic technician later traced to a faulty jet (on a year old fridge).

Without the kit to do flow tests which virtually none of us have, it seems the consumption figures published may be the maker's best guess but not much more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ray,

I know from experience in the business that a UK manufacturer of gas appliances checks every single one for the correct consumption. I cannot vouch for any other manufacturer or hoe other countries enforce the manufactures codes of practice required for CE marking.

It is not fair to judge the whole industry on a sample of one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just got back from 5 weeks in Brittany with lovely weather which showed up how poor the Thetford fridge was

It came with the van new in Feb and is now back at the trusted dealer who has it on test

So far declared useless on electric although the element is giving out lots of heat

We had to use gas to get any sort of performance and 2 Camping Gaz 907 lasted no time

The site owner lent is a 15kg propane bottle which cost the same as the Camping Gaz 907 for a lot more gas

This lasted 4 weeks with only occasional and short use for the fire as well and no cooking other than to see if the gas had run out!!

I think that we used more gas than we normally do in several years

I tried inverting the fridge,checking connections, etc but all to no avail

Unlike Dometic, Thetford require the unit to be taken to their service centre which is great news when you have the awning up and need the van to sleep in

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts