Gas v electric

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I was interested in the recent topic about the Cadac gas bbq to which I contributed (on behalf of the James Martin electric griddle). We always used to be Cadac users and carried no electric cooking hardware. However, following a meeting with a fellow caravaner in France we were converted to electricity. We now use the aforementioned James Martin for bbq type cooking and an 8 in 1 cooking pot for most other things. This allows us to cook almost entirely outdoors (or awning in inclement weather). I realise that the strength of hook up varies from site to site, but with care, and being realistic as to when more than one appliance can be used at any one time, we've managed quite well thus far. We all pay for electric hook up, so why not use it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Homer, Yes seen people with the grills etc, we have a 6 in 1, electric, pressure cooker , 3 litre great for a lot of things, but just love the Cadac, and never let the Women cook on the Cadac, They never know how to Burn meat properly. :p

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
HomerS1 said:
We all pay for electric hook up, so why not use it.

'We' don't all pay for electricity! Given an option (and appropriate lower fee) I never choose to have EHU.

In Spain, in particular, it is considerably cheaper to use gas rather than metered electricity.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how barbequed things are using an electric grill but it is certainly a bit cheaper. The cost of the gas is so low though that I am not sure I would bother going electric although we have an electric hot plate in the hob so can do slow cooking on that for free..

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I never got on with my cadac and sold it eventually. It was a pain to assemble, a real pain to clean after use and very heavy.
I've bought a George Forman electric one now though. Looks just like a cadac. Can be used on its own legs or a table top and is so much easier to clean and light enough to leave in the van. On the rare occasions we don't have EHU we use a regular charcoal bbq.

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
30ctzz5.jpg
es7x28.jpg

Hi all,
We had a Beauclaire (too big for two ), we now have used for years a butane cartridge type single burner with cast hot plate for Bar B's.
We also use for Gordon Blue cooking a Halogen oven ( ideal esp' for those without oven in 'van ) we prefer it to the gas one fitted.
We also use a Chinese Steam Boat ( electric two piece stainless pan. ( Ideal for meats,fish,vegetable's at the table )

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
HomerS1 said:
No electric hook up? How do you keep your battery charged to run your lights etc?

80 Watt briefcase solar panel. We spend most of the summer months off grid so a cadac it is, and electric hotplate is not use if you don't have EHU. we don't take a telly so the solar keeps everything topped up nicely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts