Gaslight connection.

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have a calor propane bottle connected via a pigtail hose to my bulkhead regulator. The bottle end of the hose is the type that screws into the bottle with a “wrong way round” thread. I have just changed to flogas gaslight which connects via a 27mm Clip on connection. I bought the 27mm clip on adapter from eBay and I expected it to fit the bottle end of the hose, but it doesn’t. Can anyone advise what next? Google doesn’t seem to be much help on the subject. Thanks in advance...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Marky.

You will need to get a new pigtail for the bulkhead regulator to fit the Flow Gas adapter. I suggest you contact your gas supplier or local caravan shop

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Most clip -on adaptors have a left handed thread, this is designed to be the same as the smaller UK Calor butane bottles.
Therefore, buying a screw on butane pig-tail, should sort you out.

This is an example of the butane pig-tail that fits a whole range of bottle adaptors including the 27 mm Gaslights need.

Butane pig-tail

[The "nicks" off each corner of the nuts, indicates that its thread is left handed.]

I suspect it is readily available in various lengths fro any caravan accessory shop.

It is used with this typical version of 27 mm clip-on.
27 mm clip-on, suitable for Gaslight bottles.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Slightly off subject, what is the benefit of the left handed thread on gas bottles, I’ve never come across it anywhere else.

BP

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Less probability someone will use the wrong fitting?
Hard to think of a direct "need". They are clearly marked with the conventional marking, so ought not cause any error.

They are used in other applications where there is a likelihood the direction of rotation involved could loosen things.
Examples, are hub nuts on stub axles, right handed on one side of the vehicle, left on the other.
Other common cases are the use on "turnbuckles" LINK.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I know of other applications as in when I worked in engineering setting up grinding machines where the thread was left handed so as it was opposite to rotation of the Chuck, that sort of application makes sense, I’ve never understood the need on gas bottles though.

BP

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I would put it down to comply with widely adopted standards, and the increased safety that together with reducing opportunities for bodges using non gas system items, brings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many years ago gas appliances were more specific about the type of gas and theoperating pressure they could use.
The common forms of LPG Butane and Propane, were not universally interchangeable and in the UK appliance's were set up for one or the other. We also had different operating pressures Butane was 11.5" water Gauge and Propane was 14" water gauge These converted to 28mBar Butane and 37mBar Propane. Some parts of Europe used 50mBar regulators

Unique systems were introduced that would prevent accidental incorrect connection.

For many years most caravan products could use either gas type but you needed the correct regulator for the particular type of gas you were using . The difference in the supply pressures would effectively compensate for the performance differences of the gasses.

When we were member's of the EU there was a unifying process that decreed new product's for Butane and Propane should be made so that either gas could be used when its supplied at 30mBar. This wasn't particularly difficult , and in most cases there was no engineering change to products. but there is a measurable performance difference due to the different calorific value of the gas types and their flow characteristics though fixed injector sizes and the gas types Wobbe index

Essentially on the 30mBar system running on butane will boil a kettle a little faster than on Propane. Appliance's that use modulating gas valves may take longer to warm up from cold on Propane but once running and assuming the appliance is powerful enough to over come its heat losses. it will have virtually the same performance on either gas.

Do not assume all LPG appliance can safely use either gas - Never use a gas appliance on a gas supply that does not conform to manufacturers requirement on the data plate. For example Older gas appliances specified for Butane 28mBar or Propane 37mBar should not be used on a 30mBar supply.

If in doubt consult the appliance manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts