GB plates will not be acceptable for driving abroad.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What has a GB or UK sticker got to do with the MOT? The purpose of the MOT is to check whether the vehicle is roadworthy, not whether it is legal. It's surely no less roadworthy if it has a GB sticker.
The MoT test isn't just about road-worthiness - it includes checks on number plate and windscreen obstructions.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
For further clarification here is an extract from OC’s earlier link.

Flags, symbols and identifiers
You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:

• Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • Cross of St George
  • Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire
  • Red Dragon of Wales
The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:
  • UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
  • GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
  • CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
  • ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
  • SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
  • WALES or Wales
The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.
Driving outside the UK
If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.
However, you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.
You do not need a UK sticker or number plate to drive in Ireland.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For further clarification here is an extract from OC’s earlier link.

Flags, symbols and identifiers
You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:

• Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • Cross of St George
  • Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire
  • Red Dragon of Wales
The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:
  • UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
  • GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
  • CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
  • ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
  • SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
  • WALES or Wales
The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.
Driving outside the UK
If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.
However, you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier
If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.
You do not need a UK sticker or number plate to drive in Ireland.

John
You are such a star 😀😀😀

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I'm in southern Spain at the moment and saw a car with an NI sticker parked outside a restaurant. Some people are quite creative!

Absolutely, but illegal in NI and Europe as well. I may worry about it and my sleep will suffer tonight! Did they have the obligatory UK sticker or not?

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm in southern Spain at the moment and saw a car with an NI sticker parked outside a restaurant. Some people are quite creative!
Could be Northern Iceland or Northern Italy or a host of other countries starting with letter "I". Then again with have Namibia, Nigeria and Niger all with an "N" & an "I" in their name . LOL! :ROFLMAO:
I see no reason why we could not have stuck with GB?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Could be Northern Iceland or Northern Italy or a host of other countries starting with letter "I". Then again with have Namibia, Nigeria and Niger all with an "N" & an "I" in their name . LOL! :ROFLMAO:
I see no reason why we could not have stuck with GB?

Don’t say that to people in Northern Ireland! 😀

John

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I suspect that it's the media up to their usual chicanery of scaremongering. I don't doubt that there may have been a few isolated instances of overzealous police officers out to show their dislike of Brits, but I doubt very much that such action is being carried out as a matter of course. Driving from the French border to southern Spain during the last few days I saw quite a number of UK registered vehicles with neither a GB nor a UK identifier and not a sign of any interest being shown by the Spanish police.

Just back from 10 weeks in Portugal and Spain. Plenty of UK vehicles without the UK sticker and, indeed, quite a few without any nationality plates whatsoever. Like you I very much doubt that the police have any interest in such matters....unless they catch you for something else and want to "throw the book" at you.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just back from 10 weeks in Portugal and Spain. Plenty of UK vehicles without the UK sticker and, indeed, quite a few without any nationality plates whatsoever. Like you I very much doubt that the police have any interest in such matters....unless they catch you for something else and want to "throw the book" at you.

No doubt you are 100% correct. But personally I would try to abide by whatever countries rules. Partly to avoid prosecution or just standing out. And out of respect for the country I am visiting.

I had to laugh once. I was driving a French car solo down a straight French D road. In the distance I could see two Gendarmes getting read to do a spot check on me. As I got closer they could make out from the plate that we where British. How quickly the backed off and waved me past.

John

Reactions: PTA
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I cannot understand the preoccupation with trying to avoid compliance with regulations that you should be complying with. The risks are perhaps unknowns, but failure to display the correct vehicle identification, is at least going to be a fine, or perhaps delay or the confiscation of the car. Why risk raising the stakes when for an item like a country sticker on a number plate is going to prevent any possible conflict.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I cannot understand the preoccupation with trying to avoid compliance with regulations that you should be complying with. The risks are perhaps unknowns, but failure to display the correct vehicle identification, is at least going to be a fine, or perhaps delay or the confiscation of the car. Why risk raising the stakes when for an item like a country sticker on a number plate is going to prevent any possible conflict.
Could be a British trait to see if you can get away with it as demonstrated on many occasions over the past 18 months? :)

Reactions: PTA and Bluetonic

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I completely agree. I find it odd that spending a few shillings on the appropriate sticker can be so difficult, especially on a car and caravan or a campervan which cost a lot of money to buy and run.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I completely agree. I find it odd that spending a few shillings on the appropriate sticker can be so difficult, especially on a car and caravan or a campervan which cost a lot of money to buy and run.

"Shillings" ?
Have I missed Johnson's latest legislation? :p:p

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts