german caravans fire hazard

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
we have owned two TEC weltbummlers in the last 3 years, the first was a twin axle a terrific van and towed without fault,two trips to la manga and torre del mar without effort.build quality was very good as it was lived in for nearly two years and only had to replace a waterpump when we returned to the uk we decided to downsize (BIG MISTAKE)and decided to stick with the make we knew so well.We traded our twin axle for a single axle.plus it had two fitted single beds,these were proper singles I hasten to ad not the british type. these beds took a 6 foot 20 stone adult in comfort.Anyway we took delivery of a new 510 HTE creation.in July 05 ,we had twelve months of trouble free caravaning,and you cannot say that about to many english vans can you,unless you know different? Anyway aug 06 we had just returnd from a four day break and parked up outside our front door went in and put the kettle on and went back outside to unload the van of our belongings only to find yellow and orange smoke coming from the skylight of the caravan,I opened the door of the van carefully to find the green coloured plastic cover of the transformer/charger which was located under one of the very comfortable single beds was melted and aflame and running towards the centre of the caravan,my only thought was to remove the car which was still attached while shouting to my wife to call the fire service which took 20 mins to arrive,I also removed the gas bottle from the front locker.....I never travel with this connected.

the outcome of all this was the van was burnt to the road everything that could go bang did go bang including tyres,aerosols tins of peaches and beans everything that could melt did melt CDs radio DVDs and player and a host of other items,if you want a list I will send you one.

But the cause of the fire in my mind was that some object which was stored under the bed shorted out the transformer/charger thus creating an inferno.luckily I was insured with NFU and was back on the road with a new van within 14 days but sadly not with a weltbbummler..

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Allen, I don't quite understand your post. If you'd just towed your 'van home the transformer wouldn't have been connected to a mains electrical supply? So the fault must be with the part of the wiring which feeds 12v from the towcar into the 'van. It would seem to me like the transformer has been back-fed form the car.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Allen, I don't quite understand your post. If you'd just towed your 'van home the transformer wouldn't have been connected to a mains electrical supply? So the fault must be with the part of the wiring which feeds 12v from the towcar into the 'van. It would seem to me like the transformer has been back-fed form the car.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
hi craig

we think that something arced across the charging terminals while we were on the move,its a good job we had stopped or we could have been towing a fireball.....Allen

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Am I missing something here ?

Is this really a case of "german caravans fire hazard" or in reality a fire caused by something carelessly stowed in a locker in a van that just happened to be German.

Either way not a nice thing to happen and glad you sorted a new van.

Brian.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Am I missing something here ?

Is this really a case of "german caravans fire hazard" or in reality a fire caused by something carelessly stowed in a locker in a van that just happened to be German.

Either way not a nice thing to happen and glad you sorted a new van.

Brian.
hi lutz and brian

I believe the trans/charger was fitted by TEC although it is not illustrated in the handbook,but not a lot of the fittings and systems are covered in the handbook

I do now think it was an accident waiting to happen,as bad as we think the build quality some british vans are the electrics are usually regarded as being safe and are isolated or boxed, in my case they werent , they were exposed the trans/charger and the battery next to each other in the storage area under the bed and none of the spade connections on the trans/charger were sheathed in plastic,so it is possible that something that was loose could have come into contact or dislodged the teminals ,but for the life of me I cannot think what.....THANKS for the questions its really making me think...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts