German motorway stopovers

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hoping someone can help advise. I've received conflicting advice on the safety and security of overnight stopovers on German motorway s, both at the 'normal' service areas and the 'raststatten'.

Does anyone have any actual experience of stopovers - there must be so many people using the road network and wanting to stop overnight only that I would have expected them to be okay but I have been told otherwise too.

Many thanks in advance

Best Wishes

David

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
We frequently go thru France , Belgium , Holland and Germany to visit members of our family over there and have never had any problems or felt at risk doing this , we have been visiting now for nearly 20 years . However perhaps we have been lucky.

I do hope this entry does not upset someone and cause another load of complaints!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, I wonder why the same question is never asked about UK motorway service areas? What is it about us which makes us think Germany, France etc are any more dangerous than here. Just take all the precautions that you would take here and you will be very unlucky if anything untoward happens to you.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
David, I wonder why the same question is never asked about UK motorway service areas? What is it about us which makes us think Germany, France etc are any more dangerous than here. Just take all the precautions that you would take here and you will be very unlucky if anything untoward happens to you.
Ray - I hope not to have caused offence with my first post. The only reason I asked about German motorways is that I will be using them this summer and this is a forum for European touring. I don't have occasion to overnight on UK service areas and the network of raststatten is different from what we have here at home.

I have been visiting Germany regularly for over 25 years now but never before with a caravan.

I have received conflicting advice about the raststatten and just wondered whether anyone had any direct experience - either positive or negative.

Best Wishes

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm not aware of any problems regarding security and personal safety during overnight stops on German motorways. The only reports that I've ever heard of were from the south of France and beyond. However, if you're still concerned and travelling down the A3, you can stopover at the back of our garden. We live just minutes off the autobahn and we'll give you a free electric hookup as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, I took no offence at your question, I just wondered why the same question, with implications of safety, is not asked about uk service areas. I use many at night in the course of my work and there are always cars, and during the summer caravans, parked up with people sleeping in them.

Jul 13, 2005
Visit site
I'm not aware of any problems regarding security and personal safety during overnight stops on German motorways. The only reports that I've ever heard of were from the south of France and beyond. However, if you're still concerned and travelling down the A3, you can stopover at the back of our garden. We live just minutes off the autobahn and we'll give you a free electric hookup as well.
where on A3? i arrive at dunkirk at 1300hrs on 5/9/05 and am looking for night halt between Koln & Frankfurt.en route Saltsburg

Terry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts