German towing speed limits

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Is the max permitted speed when towing in Germany, even on the autobahns, only 50mph? Is it a lot of hassle to do whatever it is to have your outfit approved so it can travel faster? I'm not a speed merchant but do like to make progress. Any help will be appreciated. We go in 3 weeks.

David W.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Germany has the same 50mph (80km/h) speed limit as almost everywhere in mainland Europe except France and Belgium although you will see some outfits with a 100km/h sticker. Subject to certain technical conditions being fulfilled, one can obtain approval to tow at 100km/h (60mph) in Germany, but the process for foreign visitors would be rather arduous and hardly worth the effort for a short visit.

However, having said that, I have not heared of anyone being booked for speeding if exceeding 80km/h by a not unreasonable amount on a delimited stretch of motorway. I normally set my cruise control at 90km/h. Just be careful to observe an 80km/h speed limit in road work areas as speed traps are frequent there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David

I have towed extensively in Germany and generally do what Lutz has suggested which is basically keeping up with the speed of the trucks. One positive is that it generally improves towing economy compared to France! Also be aware that there are some stretches of two lane autobahn where overtaking is not allowed. This is usually indicated and sometimes applies to just lorries but sometimes includes towed caravans.

David

TRENDING THREADS