Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
This year we are going to France. However, reading entries by others, I find Germany intriguing. Hypothetically, travelling from Plymouth, what areas of Germany would you recommend for a 2 week holiday as a taster for further adventures?

Thank you in anticipation of some interesting reading.

Alex

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Germany is a relatively big country extending fairly far east since the opening of its borders, so I think it would be stretching it a bit if you wanted to see a lot of the country in the 2 weeks that you have available.

It would be more realistic to limit yourself to the south west, perhaps down the Moselle from Luxembourg to Koblenz, then up the Rhine Valley to Mainz. I'd then leave the Rhine and slowly make my way through the Odenwald to Heidelberg, thence south through the Black Forest to Basle and back home again. I think anything much more than that may be a bit too ambitious given the time available but the route that I've suggested would give you a good overall picture of some of quite picturesque areas of the country.

If you'd like more information, I live only about 5 miles from Mainz and the River Rhine and I'd be happy to help.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Alex

I assume you live in Plymouth.

Just speaking from a geographical point of view, surely you would be better driving to Dover(ish) for your crossing thereby saving a packet on your ferry crossing, plus any tolls when driving through France TO Germany.

Whats the weather like in Germany in the summer? I assume its as hit and miss as here?

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Alex

I assume you live in Plymouth.

Just speaking from a geographical point of view, surely you would be better driving to Dover(ish) for your crossing thereby saving a packet on your ferry crossing, plus any tolls when driving through France TO Germany.

Whats the weather like in Germany in the summer? I assume its as hit and miss as here?

Ian
On the whole the weather in Germany is a little more settled than in the British Isles. Temperatures are probably a few degrees higher in summer, too, (but lower in winter), especially along the Rhine Valley. Rainfall is comparable with East Anglia.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Departing from Dover rather than Plymouth means that it's easier to avoid tolls altogether by driving through Belgium or Holland instead of France on your way to Germany.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Go to Germany you will love it. Such a clean and very friendly country with some wonderful places to see. Some places that are really worth a visit are The Mosel, Bernkastel is a lovely town to see and stay at there is a good site right on the river if you would like to know. The Black Forest should not be missed know of a good site there to. The Neuswannstein Castle and area very nice and of course Rothenburg which is the oldest walled city in Germany should not be missed either. There is a lovely reasonable site in Detwang a village just outside the walled city. If you need any more info let me know.

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Dianne,

Im very keen to hear your advice.

Im off to visit relatives this August who live in the Rheinphalz region, an hour north of Strasbourg, very hear to Hockenheim., a place called Neustadt.

We are sailing into Dunkerque and driving over. Can you recommend a journey,places to stay etc

I have a few books to read up on but its a mindful of details.

Your help advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris

At the moment we are very flexible

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Chris. We have travelled back from a village just outside Neustadt at a German friends house with the caravan. The route we take is from Neustadt up to Oberveiss near Bitburg where we stop en-route for 1-3 nights. We use ACSI sites tho in August you will not be able to use the card to get reduced rates.

If you get their Disk you can plan the route putting in the sites you choose to stay at and it will give, which you can print out, with the sites on mileage from site to site and a route. We always go by Tom Tom for the route tho. If you want to email me get the a moderator to give you my address or give yours for him to send to me. I could work the route out for you if you would like.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
To research A.C.S.I. sites you can go to www.acsi.eu on line rather than source the disc.
If you go onto the ACSI website you can buy the disc which can be used for 2 to 3 years running as it does not alter much. You will need the disc if you want to use the route planner putting all your sites in etc., You can check new sites etc on the website.

You can also buy the camping card on the website if you are going out of season it is very useful and you get a book and map of all the reduced fee sites you can visit with the card at 11-3 or 15 euros there are 1601 sites all over Europe listed. We have used it since it was launched with just over 100 sites and never got a bad one. Lots are 3 and 4 and 5 Star.

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Chris. We have travelled back from a village just outside Neustadt at a German friends house with the caravan. The route we take is from Neustadt up to Oberveiss near Bitburg where we stop en-route for 1-3 nights. We use ACSI sites tho in August you will not be able to use the card to get reduced rates.

If you get their Disk you can plan the route putting in the sites you choose to stay at and it will give, which you can print out, with the sites on mileage from site to site and a route. We always go by Tom Tom for the route tho. If you want to email me get the a moderator to give you my address or give yours for him to send to me. I could work the route out for you if you would like.
Hi Diane

thanks for your response.

Im very interested about any route stop overs etc. Its the first time with the van in europe and would be grateful for any advice and recommendations

Heres my email address or how does the mod forward it on?

chrismarx@sky.com

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
If you go onto the ACSI website you can buy the disc which can be used for 2 to 3 years running as it does not alter much. You will need the disc if you want to use the route planner putting all your sites in etc., You can check new sites etc on the website.

You can also buy the camping card on the website if you are going out of season it is very useful and you get a book and map of all the reduced fee sites you can visit with the card at 11-3 or 15 euros there are 1601 sites all over Europe listed. We have used it since it was launched with just over 100 sites and never got a bad one. Lots are 3 and 4 and 5 Star.
The web site also offers the route planner facility, though I have only tried it from home to site. I don't know wether it is possible to plan a route from home to first site then on to the next and so on having never tried it.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Germany is a great country to visit, totally agree that the German people make you feel really welcome. The German Tourist board publish a free campsite guide (and even post it to you free of charge) see www.germany-tourism.co.uk or call 0207 317 0908

Jul 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We're also thinking of Germany this year. We're also from Plymouth area and will mozy up to Dover slow time before crossing to France.

We're over for 7 weeks (maybe more) from mid May and have a completely open mind as where to go but have a vague thought of going into Germany, up the Mosel, down the Rhine across to Bavaria and go into Austria, Italy and then back up through France. May turn out ambitious to do in just 7 weeks, but what the hell, maybe if we're having good times will just get a later ferry back!!

How do the prices in Germany compare to those in France. I guess one advantage is no motorway tolls? Is it easy just to turn up at campsites without booking ahead as it is in France?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Prices of what do you mean? The cost of food is probably one of the lowest in western Europe, petrol is currently slightly cheaper than in France, other things are probably about the same price.

I have never booked in advance in Germany at any campsite.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Go to Germany you will love it. Such a clean and very friendly country with some wonderful places to see. Some places that are really worth a visit are The Mosel, Bernkastel is a lovely town to see and stay at there is a good site right on the river if you would like to know. The Black Forest should not be missed know of a good site there to. The Neuswannstein Castle and area very nice and of course Rothenburg which is the oldest walled city in Germany should not be missed either. There is a lovely reasonable site in Detwang a village just outside the walled city. If you need any more info let me know.
Hi Dianne , yes Bernkastle is Beautifull, its some years since i have been ,do you happen to know the website of the site by the river , bye joe

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, along with 2 friends ( and 2 dogs )we plan to visit Rudesheim am Rhein and the Black Forest region in our caravans

during a 4-5 week period from 1st September.Any info you can help us with routes.overnight stops and campsites would be

most appreciated.I have only registered today so please bear with me as I find my way around !!!

Tony-Essex

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dianne , yes Bernkastle is Beautifull, its some years since i have been ,do you happen to know the website of the site by the river , bye joe
Joby. The site is Cuesar Werth they do not have a web site but you can see all about it on ASCI web site www. eurocampings.co.uk Look under Germany and Rhineland Palentine.

I do not think they are doing the Camping Card this year at that site. Hope this helps.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Anthony. Just read your message I will get back with some sites tomorrow near Rudesheim and in the Black Forest. Where are you sailing from or are you going through the Tunnel? If you are interested you can use the ACSI card at that time of year September. Sites being 15, 13 or 11 euros per night all in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts