May 24, 2014
Visit site
Germany has a number of cities that are classed as low emission zones, the current list is:

Asperg
Augsburg
Berlin
Bietigheim-Bissingen
Bochum
Bonn
Bottrop
Bremen
Castrop-Rauxel
Dinslaken
Dortmund
Duisburg
Düsseldorf
Erfurt
Essen
Frankfurt
Freiberg am Neckar
Freiburg
Gelsenkirchen
Gladbeck
Hagen
Halle (Saale)
Hannover
Heidelberg
Heidenheim
Heilbronn
Herne
Herrenberg
Herten
Ilsfeld
Ingersheim
Karlsruhe
Köln (Cologne)
Kornwestheim
Krefeld NRW
Langenfeld
Leipzig
Leonberg
Ludwigsburg
Magdeburg
Mainz
Mannheim
Markgröningen
Möglingen
Mönchengladbach
Mühlacker
München (Munich)
Münster
Neu-Ulm
Neuss
Oberhausen & Mühlheim
Offenbach
Osnabrück
Pfinztal
Pforzheim
Pleidelsheim
Recklinghausen
Remscheid
Reutlingen
Schramberg
Schwäbisch-Gmünd
Siegen
Stuttgart
Tamm
The Ruhr area, Nordrhein-Westfalen
Tübingen
Ulm
Urbach
Wendlingen
Wiesbaden
Wuppertal
See
https://www.tuv-nord.com/en/emissions-sticker/faq-questions-about-environmental-stickers-8771.htm#Wo_bekomme_ich_eine_Umweltplakette

which may help. Of course you are also obliged to stop and pay the german road fund licence, usually obtainable from the first service station after the border. In my experience, thay can be bought from all autobahn service stations. See
https://www.tuv-nord.com/en/emissions-sticker/faq-questions-about-environmental-stickers-8771.htm#Wo_bekomme_ich_eine_Umweltplakette

As far as I know, there are no other towing restrictions apart from the local speed limits.

IBH

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
This is the link for the low emission badge http://www.tuev-nord.de/de/umweltplakette/english-low-emission-zone-8648.htm - I emailed the form to them and within days I had my windscreen sticker. That allows me to go into all the registered cities. I hope this helps you.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
How long has this rule been in place? I've driven (and towed) in a few of those cities in the last three or four years and not had a problem. Have I just been lucky?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thingy said:
Germany has a number of cities that are classed as low emission zones, the current list is:

Asperg
Augsburg
Berlin
Bietigheim-Bissingen
Bochum
Bonn
Bottrop
Bremen
Castrop-Rauxel
Dinslaken
Dortmund
Duisburg
Düsseldorf
Erfurt
Essen
Frankfurt
Freiberg am Neckar
Freiburg
Gelsenkirchen
Gladbeck
Hagen
Halle (Saale)
Hannover
Heidelberg
Heidenheim
Heilbronn
Herne
Herrenberg
Herten
Ilsfeld
Ingersheim
Karlsruhe
Köln (Cologne)
Kornwestheim
Krefeld NRW
Langenfeld
Leipzig
Leonberg
Ludwigsburg
Magdeburg
Mainz
Mannheim
Markgröningen
Möglingen
Mönchengladbach
Mühlacker
München (Munich)
Münster
Neu-Ulm
Neuss
Oberhausen & Mühlheim
Offenbach
Osnabrück
Pfinztal
Pforzheim
Pleidelsheim
Recklinghausen
Remscheid
Reutlingen
Schramberg
Schwäbisch-Gmünd
Siegen
Stuttgart
Tamm
The Ruhr area, Nordrhein-Westfalen
Tübingen
Ulm
Urbach
Wendlingen
Wiesbaden
Wuppertal
See

which may help. Of course you are also obliged to stop and pay the german road fund licence, usually obtainable from the first service station after the border. In my experience, thay can be bought from all autobahn service stations. See

As far as I know, there are no other towing restrictions apart from the local speed limits.
very usefull info. but i believe you have stated "of course you are also obliged to stop and pay the german road fund licence" to my best knowledge this only applies to HGV vehicles above 12 tonne . with the new tax only starting on jan 2016,

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We were there last year, its the old Benelux Tax Disk and as far as I know, its still in force.

In Germany, the Motor Vehicle tax (Kraftfahrzeugsteuer) is an annual tax on all vehicles. It ranges from 5 eur per 100cc to 25 eur per 100cc for petrol engines and 13 eur to 37 eur for diesel engines.[3] Vehicles first registered before June 30, 2009 are taxed according to engine displacement and national/European emission class, whereas vehicles which were registered after that date are taxed solely based on CO2 emission in grams per km (g CO2/km).

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My previous experience with these difficulties was covered by an EU directive that states that all vehicle in transit across EU (EC) countries must comply with the regulations applicable in the country of origin, and local regulations cannot be applied during a transiting journey.
This came about when taking motorcycles into Spain and Denmark, towing small baggage trailers which were turned back at border. After some years of Diplomatic negotiations, the restrictions were removed. Wish I could remember the EC Document that says that.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Pedr01800 said:
My previous experience with these difficulties was covered by an EU directive that states that all vehicle in transit across EU (EC) countries must comply with the regulations applicable in the country of origin, and local regulations cannot be applied during a transiting journey.
This came about when taking motorcycles into Spain and Denmark, towing small baggage trailers which were turned back at border. After some years of Diplomatic negotiations, the restrictions were removed. Wish I could remember the EC Document that says that.
yes but the Germans were making noise about charging non German cars a road tax for crossing their country a few years back and having looked it appears they passed it late last year to start from 2016. umm wonder when all countries and ourselves do the same thing seems only fair ,

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
You only have to get an Umwelt Plakette if you are likely to go into those cities. We got ours the year it started but have only been into 2 cities when it was needed over the years. There are not other taxes our tolls. The EU have not sanctioned Germany's proposal of the Vignette system for 2016 so it is all in the air at the moment.

.Emmerson I think you have been lucky if you have driven through the centre of those cities listed.
DianneT

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Dianne, we actually spent 4 days in Berlin in 2013, and last year visited Heidelberg and Freiberg, among others.If I'm that licky, perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes go and buy one now. I cannot belieive you did not know. The thing is if you have an older car like ours with a Yellow plakette you cannot go in any of those towns now except Schramburg in the Black Forest. . It has always been all over the Forums and there is notification on my Website.

Cheers Dianne

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am glad this topic came up as I have just realised I need to get one for September. Just a word to the wise, a quick google search for the Plaquette gave a number of results, some official and some not. It appears there are a number of agencies handling these and they are charging around 30 euros for the plaquette, where the official cost for cars registered outside Germany is actually 12.50 euros. Stick to the official sites. I sent for one last year on a Thursday and from Berlin it arrived Saturday morning. Sorta puts us Brits to shame.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
I am glad this topic came up as I have just realised I need to get one for September. Just a word to the wise, a quick google search for the Plaquette gave a number of results, some official and some not. It appears there are a number of agencies handling these and they are charging around 30 euros for the plaquette, where the official cost for cars registered outside Germany is actually 12.50 euros. Stick to the official sites. I sent for one last year on a Thursday and from Berlin it arrived Saturday morning. Sorta puts us Brits to shame.

Where do you get that figure from? It's actually 6 euros.
https://www.berlin.d...op.86595.en.php

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'll bow to your superior knowledge. It's a couple of years since I got my sticker from the Berlin website but I don't remember it being more expensive for a foreign registered vehicle. It's an age thing. :whistle:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Got this from TUV Nord earlier today

Sehr geehrter Herr xxxxxxx

vielen Dank für Ihre Bestelliung.
Leider können wir mit Ihren Antrag noch nicht anfangen, da uns eine Kopie/Scan oder eine Foto des Fahrzeugscheinds fehlt. Sobald wir diese erhalten haben, senden wir Ihnen Ihre Umweltplakette. Die Kosten liegen bei 12,50 €.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Thingy said:
Got this from TUV Nord earlier today

Sehr geehrter Herr xxxxxxx

vielen Dank für Ihre Bestelliung.
Leider können wir mit Ihren Antrag noch nicht anfangen, da uns eine Kopie/Scan oder eine Foto des Fahrzeugscheinds fehlt. Sobald wir diese erhalten haben, senden wir Ihnen Ihre Umweltplakette. Die Kosten liegen bei 12,50 €.

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately we can not start with your request, because we are lacking a copy or a photo of the Vehicle registration. Once we have received it, we will send you your environmental badge. The cost is €12.50.

;)

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
That may be the cost from TUV Nord but do all sites charge the same or do some add an admin charge for foreign vehicles? Where's Lutz when you need him? :(

May 24, 2014
Visit site
And today -

Super,
jetzt haben wir alles was wir brauchen und die grüne Umweltplakette wird schon heute zu Ihnen geschickt!
or
Great,
Now we have everything we need and the green environmental badge is already sent to you!

Havent actually asked me for any money yet. :oops:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, I am beginning to feel conned here :dry:

The plaquette arrived this morning, with instructions on how to pay. So,

12.5 Euros and then a handling charge taking to to £20. Pounds not Euros. I have now reordered from Berlin at 6 Euros.

1654251e-e0f4-4862-80a0-d1a9016aacf4.jpeg

According to the Berlin office:

How much does the sticker cost?
No standard charge has been specified for the sticker in the Federal Marking Ordinance or federal other regulations. Private issuing offices are therefore free to charge whatever they wish. The cost of the sticker has been set at 5 euros in the scale of environmental charges for the Berlin licensing authority. This covers the cost of production and administrative costs, so that these costs need not be borne by the public. Online ordering costs of 6 instead of 5 euros are charged owing to the higher expense and postal charges.

Where can I obtain a sticker?
Issuing offices are the motor vehicle licensing authority (Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten -LABO), emissions inspection centres such as TÜV, DEKRA, GTÜ, FSP and KÜS, and the the around 850 workshops of the motor vehicle maintenance associationspecifically authorised for emission inspections in Berlin.

Autodienst Biesdorf GmbH (ADB), Alt-Biesdorf 64, 12683 Berlin, tel. +49(0)30-5143565, is also open on Sundays. The issuing office will check the car registration documents to decide which emission group the car belongs to and hence which sticker it qualifies for. The car itself therefore does not need to be presented.

For vehicles registered in Germany, stickers can be ordered online from the emission sticker shop of the Berlin motor vehicle licensing authority under
https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.php
The sticker can be sent by post within a few days against the remittance of a fee of 6 euros.

Foreign-registered vehicles also require a sticker. It can be ordered from the English website of the Berlin motor vehicle licensing authority under
https://www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php,
provided that the licensing authority can identify the necessary information for the assignment of the sticker from the car documents, e.g. from a manufacturer's certification. The required car documents or registration document must be scanned and attached to the email or photocopied and sent by post. Summarised information for foreign tourists is available in this flyer (pdf; 182 KB).

Is my sticker only valid in Berlin?
The sticker is not only valid in Berlin but in all environmental zones throughout Germany. More than 50 German cities have already established environmental zones. The (website of the Federal Environmental Agency (Umweltbundesamt – UBA) gives an overview of environmental zones in Germany.

Six euros here:
https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts