Getting access to charger/transformer?

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks,

We have a 2003 Abbey Expression with the ECM 2 mains unit made by "Plug in Systems" I have already worked out that it is not charging the battery so we use a separate smart charger which is no big deal but i would love to get the older unit out to check it all out properly and access is a problem.

When i remove the screws the unit only moves forward about 3/4 of an inch and the cables go tight stopping it come further forward. Above it is the slim unit with the table stored in it with no access to below, to the right is the bathroom/shower and to the left is an under seat storage with the 12 volt wiring and fuses and still no access to the slim gap with the mains unit in it.

Has anyone else come across this issue before as i do not want to tug on the cables more and risk pulling connections off and not being able to reconnect them? Thanks for any suggestions ....

Bob.

pmb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean ESM 2? I replaced the charger on my ESM unit. Google expluginsystems for information. At the back of my unit is a mains in connector (of a strange design) and 2 mains 9 way connectors to distribute the 230V. They were tyrapped so came forward with the unit. In addition the 12V output was on a red and a white cable with lucar connectors to disconnect so the whole unit could be taken out. I'm surprised that there is not sufficient slack in the cables to pull the unit far enough forward , there was on mine. The charger cover needs some rivets drilling/chiselling to remove it and obviously new ones to hold the cover back on for the new charger board . Mine was tripping the breaker but I couldn't see any obvious component failure so got a new one. Could be worth sending steve an email (expluginsteve.co.uk) and asking his opinion. He was very helpful to me on the phone.
May be worth looking if there are any covers that can be removed that could have the cables behind them so giving you a bit more slack possibly.
Edited after looking at the wiring diagram and some pics I took.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts