Getting stickers off windows

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

The people who owned our van before us, put stickers from the places they visited all over the back windows. These are now looking scruffy & we'd like to get them off. Some have just peeled off but others won't shift. Is there a knack to doing this?

Thanks

Sue

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried hairspray? You can also get stickers with nail varnish romover but not sure about using this on caravan windows though.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Have you tried hairspray? You can also get stickers with nail varnish romover but not sure about using this on caravan windows though.
Hi Frank / Sue

Whatever you do DO NOT use nail varnish remover as most of these contain Acetone which may attack your van window and leave a frosted effect. I once tried to clean a plastic watch face with nail varnish remover and that was the effect. I don't know if van windows are a similar material to a plastic watch face but I would be reluctant to risk it myself. An "alcohol" based cleaner should be OK. Acetone or nail varnish remover is a ketone which is not quite the same organic family as an alcohol.

If you can buy small quantities of "Meths" this may be OK but dont be tempted to drink it.

Best to try a small part of the window first before you go headlong and swamp a large area.

Best of luck

Alan

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for your replies. I know it sounds a trivial problem but we have just replaced all the window seals & they look great apart from these tatty stickers. Where the stickers would peel off whole, we could get any sticky residue off with white spirit. However, some will only peel off a shred at a time & the solvent won't penetrate the plastic sticker. I had thought of a hair dryer but we were worried that heat would crack the window. Is it ok to use one?

Sue

May 26, 2006
Visit site
Warm the stickers gently with the hairdrier. You can purchase a product called 'sticky stuff remover' from Lakeland products, which does what it says very well. test a small area first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know it has been said here a few postings back but W.D.40 did the trick softening double sided stickies left from old number plates. White spirit sounds a bit risky on windows.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts