Giving up,,

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Is anybody like me, I am 74 and this COVID business has affected a lot of things, I have a 3 year old caravan and a Mazda six I use for towing,, last year I put 200 miles on the car and used the caravan once, this year doesn’t look much better so I’m now thinking of selling up, does anybody feel the same way,

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Is anybody like me, I am 74 and this COVID business has affected a lot of things, I have a 3 year old caravan and a Mazda six I use for towing,, last year I put 200 miles on the car and used the caravan once, this year doesn’t look much better so I’m now thinking of selling up, does anybody feel the same way,

No, I don't feel the same - I'm nearly 74, haven't used the caravan for 18 months and the car has done virtually nothing since Covid - it's the 3rd year we've done no caravanning for health reasons in the last 6 years - all the more reason to make up time when lockdown eases.

Reactions: Cammy and Scorpy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends on your reasons for considering selling up, if you think your not going to use the
caravan after the pandemic, selling now might be quite good as you'll be more likely to get a good price as caravan seem to be in short supply. You might feel you need the capital it might raise to cover lost or reduced income due to the pandemic.

But what happens if you sell up now, and when the pandemic is over you decide you want caravan again - your stuck with trying to find another caravan and the associated costs.

I would suggest that if you do not need the income from a sale and you can afford the cost of retaining the van, it makes sense to keep the van, then your options are open.

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think that this Covid virus and its mutations may be around for some time to come, it may be a virus that we have to learn to live with permanently.
There may be restrictions imposed from time to time, so if we are compelled to abide by social distancing regulations into the future, touring caravans with onboard facilities represent the ultimate in safety from infection.
There's no way that we'd give up now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I actually did give up for three years 2014-16 . Sold everything including a nice XC70 and bought a car more suited to solo trips. We had some lovely holidays both in UK, Europe and Asia but then things seemed to beckon us back to caravanning. Hearts over heads we bought a Trigano Silver pop top but it was too small and had a very low payload. So we traded it in for something more usable, albeit budget. Then the car wasn’t relaxing to tow with so we changed the car.

But best laid plans as they say. In summer 2018 just days before a trip to Europe my father took ill, and for 12 months we were commuting frequently to the midlands for periods on end. After he passed away we had to rearrange our lives to enable our mid 40s daughter to undertake a degree, which she passed. And she now enrolled on another, a mental health nursing degree. So our child care commitment increased. I actually seriously put the van up for sale just as lock down arrived. But clearly wasn’t able to show it to any one. I think the ad may still be in market place. After lockdown I got some serous interest from private and trade buyers. But it became apparent that perhaps a caravan would be the safest way to enjoy a holiday once restrictions eased further. From July to October we enjoyed a number of really nice breaks. So we are already booked for a number this year beginning end of March. But it remains to be seen if the first one happens.

With our two dogs now approaching 14 years we won’t be planning a continental trip, plus the cost of documentation weighs against it. But still have many areas of UK, or GB as Ireland or even NI is out with the dogs. And one day still plan to tour into Europe with the caravan. Although one of our dogs mother lived to 18 years. 👍

Yes it’s been frustrating, and I jibe at the money pit aspects, but we enjoy the caravan, although can be equally at home in a nice hotel. Hopefully at a year younger than you our deferred plans will come to fruition.

Keep the van, plan ahead
“ for tomorrow will be a good day”

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Nimrod, we are 69, I think I am fairly fit, Mrs H has COPD but copes well with it, and during lockdown we bought a treadmill for her to get 15 minutes fast walking a aday, nowhere near as fast as she would be when I said I am off to the pub with the dog though.
We have thought abought giving up the van, cost of storage etc, but we do love getting away, the last many times away, I check that the walks to the pubs are fairly flat. We are not into statley homes or gardens , just like rural pubs and river or beach sites near to pubs where we can go to.
W will wait another year yet.
Again I am in no way booking places at the moment , we are more of a " lets go there" folk. I don't like to be held down to a program.

Reactions: Nimrod
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We gave it up in 2011 sold the caravan, awnings the rest of the stuff we put it on preloved . due to my health
In January 2012 we got a twin Axle caravan brought all the stuff again put it on a Seasonal site Adult park with fully hardstanding service pitch and a fishing pond .
We sold the twin axle in January 20017 kept some of the stuff just in case
We brought our present caravan March 2019 looking forward of using it this season .
i just hope someone can help me put up the porch awning when we arrive at a site

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The thought had occurred to us also as I am in my seventies with plenty more years to go, but then we thought that this pandemic will ease and we will be allowed to go out and about so no point. We don't want to sell and then start all over again especially as we now have our "ideal" caravan. Financially we would probably then be worse off starting over again!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am 74 and just had my first jab. We did not use the caravan last year and I would admit to being pretty fed, up but I am not willing to give in just yet. To make matters worse we have a Lunar which is possibly a problem if parts are needed and with no guarantee.
I have wondered a couple of times about trying to sell t given current second hand prices but I just love the life style and could not face a future stuck in hotels or hired accommodation. They are alright for the odd weekend but no more.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm 77end of March, (didn't believe it, had to work it out;)) Used van twice last year, just under 400 miles, even had a rebate from my car insurance, because car sat in garage all first lock down.

Have no intention of giving up, my lad says he will ask for my car keys when he thinks I'm past it.

Don't sell up, like others have said, you'll be buying everything again in two years.

Reactions: Hutch and Nimrod
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that this Covid virus and its mutations may be around for some time to come, it may be a virus that we have to learn to live with permanently.
There may be restrictions imposed from time to time, so if we are compelled to abide by social distancing regulations into the future, touring caravans with onboard facilities represent the ultimate in safety from infection.
There's no way that we'd give up now.
I am certain C19 in some form or another will persist, But providing we can build up enough herd immunity. But the risks of catching it in the future will be much more manageable, meaning the Vaccines will help prevent the worst effects from developing, and other treatments are being developed to help relive some of the effects making the long term prospects of living with C19 to be similar to catching flue or a heavy cold.

But we have quite a long way to go before we reach these goals, but we are getting there. It may take a year or so for the whole world to reach the same state, so we may see some "firefighting" restrictions pop up but decreasingly so for this virus.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well at 79 and just lost my wife I will not be giving up on my caravaning. We never went out last year with the van first time in 40+ years of caravaning. I will wait for the Covid to clear a while then get out to some CL's like to be anti social:eek: no crowds.

Trevor

The two sites we have chosen for our June/July break we now will have no crowds and you have plenty of room around your caravan. Both have fully serviced pitches which is a bonus. The CL we use also has fully serviced pitches so no hassle with having to mingle with other people.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
At 65 1/2 I’m a youngster compared to some of you but I can’t see me wanting to pack it in for a long time to come, we’ve altered our way of staying safe by not using facilities, loo/showers etc whereas previously we wouldn’t even consider using them, if I remember rightly going back a while it was often a topic on the woosies topic that hardly anyone used own facilities other than for a pee, I got given the woosie nickname sir sticky for that reason, now I will never bother with on-site facilities again, we feel as safe when we’re away in the caravan as we feel at home, I can’t see things getting totally free of rules for the rest of this year and could easily be next year as well, I’d hold fire and see if you change your mind. Best of luck with what ever you decide.

BP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Like BP we never used site facilities always used our inboard ones wife used to say I know who has used them and they are clean. Don't know when I will be mobile with the van, want some work done in the house, getting quotes at the moment.

Trevor

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Must confess ‘Nimrod’ my thought processes (@ 78) are ‘edging’ towards yours, after 44 vanning years. For health reasons didn’t get out last year,- when we could have got out after initial lockdown I was having weekly treatment as an outpatient for six weeks for bladder cancer. Caravan then hadn’t moved for nearly a year. When I then wanted the van found out motor mover had ‘packed up’, (now once upon a time I would have sorted it, but not now – it’s a bit low down!) Took van to dealer (only towing I did last year!) Resulted in new mover being fitted. Got it home and couldn’t get power to work, took it back to dealer (moaning like ‘hell’ at them for leaving it in that state.) they pressed the right switches in the right order everything OK (ever felt like a novice prat?) Now when we ought to be getting interested/excited about sorting out our year we seem to have got used to being at home, (and still suffering with ‘health’) not ‘bothered at this moment in ‘planning’ our excursions. Have we retired? Don’t know, don’t like to admit it, wife thinks we have. Daughter (tenter) has intimated that she will take the caravan ‘off’ our hands, (know what price that’ll be!) Decision not made yet, see how spring goes? Freelander did a thousand miles only last year and most of that was using it to use it!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s in our blood! 43 years of caravans is home from home. We have done our far away travels but nothing truly touches the creature home from home enjoyed in the caravan. All our dogs over the years have loved their touring holidays and indeed been influential to where we have gone. Ie where is the dog walk? Is is a long decent one? Amazingly we still have the Wyoming, 12 years on from new. It does all we want so hasn’t been changed. The two local Dealers have offered me over £9500 . I should bite off their hands but where will that leave me? If you really want to give up then do it now. You will never get a better price.
However, there is another option for those who find touring difficult with age. How about a seasonal? There are many sites who will store your caravan, bring it onto pitch when required all set up etc. Or just park it up on a semi permanent seasonal most of the year.
There are also firms and I am sure friends who will tow it to a site of your choice for a holiday.
so yes . I am in the not giving up camp👍👍👍

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm almost 74, but I've had no thoughts about giving up. On the contrary, my wife and I can't wait to set off in the caravan again as soon as it's possible. We were lucky last year in being able to spend time near the Swiss/French border while there was a slight relaxation of restrictions in movement during the summer months and again a little later in September down in Italy, returning just in time before things started to get a bit out of hand down there. We'd really love to take the caravan down to our favourite spot in Spain sometime in late May, but we're not very hopeful. It looks like Italy is getting things under control quicker than Spain, so it will probably be Italy again.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
In 2015 we gave up camping sold the Charisma535 lost £3k and then my wife suggested moving nearer to her side of the family. In 2016 moved nearer to her family and so busy with new house so nephew suggested a
have a day with us at Horsley CCC, we went and had a fabulous day fishing. Night time in bed and I suggested why don't we buy cheap caravan and give it a go. Next few days forget about the house went viewing dealers and found one 70 miles away £4500, put deposit down and came home, researching about said caravan discovered another one 120 miles away and £1000 cheaper went down there next day and viewed it , few thing needed which dealer was going to put right. Bear in mind we had got rid of all our camping gear before this. Dealer had numerous items which we bought all second hand like water and waste plus Milenco mirrored . It already had two awnings and hitchlocks wheel lock and more. Phoned previous dealer who was very good and refund deposit. This was June 2016, managed Cornwall and three more places before November. So that's how it went and even last year managed June July August September and October . As for the car, before we moved we were doing 20k a year 2018 down to 7k .Last year 3kl. We did wonder how long we can do this as I have no problems driving how ever last October I started losing weight and by December had lost 10kg. Thought I have had it but admitted to Hospital for several procedures which found no cancer but continue with other Procedures such as CT this wednesday coming. Have booked April and May hoping Boris allows it. As for age am 88 this April

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It always been in our blood caravanning I am a bit younger then BP we started off with a tent two of us plus the dogs use to set up next to stream and catch trout than a trailer tent and moved up to a Kip Kompakt a lightweight with elevating roof caravan our son came with us we have had so many makes to list our present caravan was to try it out after been seasonal we are not sure if we will keep towing this season yes and the year after and maybe for a bit longer, depending how we are .

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Everyone obviously must do what feels to be right for them and decisions can be difficult to make and sometimes regretted, I've enjoyed following this thread - Robert I loved reading your post! Absolutely brilliant!!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In 2015 we gave up camping sold the Charisma535 lost £3k and then my wife suggested moving nearer to her side of the family. In 2016 moved nearer to her family and so busy with new house so nephew suggested a
have a day with us at Horsley CCC, we went and had a fabulous day fishing. Night time in bed and I suggested why don't we buy cheap caravan and give it a go. Next few days forget about the house went viewing dealers and found one 70 miles away £4500, put deposit down and came home, researching about said caravan discovered another one 120 miles away and £1000 cheaper went down there next day and viewed it , few thing needed which dealer was going to put right. Bear in mind we had got rid of all our camping gear before this. Dealer had numerous items which we bought all second hand like water and waste plus Milenco mirrored . It already had two awnings and hitchlocks wheel lock and more. Phoned previous dealer who was very good and refund deposit. This was June 2016, managed Cornwall and three more places before November. So that's how it went and even last year managed June July August September and October . As for the car, before we moved we were doing 20k a year 2018 down to 7k .Last year 3kl. We did wonder how long we can do this as I have no problems driving how ever last October I started losing weight and by December had lost 10kg. Thought I have had it but admitted to Hospital for several procedures which found no cancer but continue with other Procedures such as CT this wednesday coming. Have booked April and May hoping Boris allows it. As for age am 88 this April
Hi Robert i also love reading your post it was fab (y)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Just reading this post, ......... hadn't realised how (until reading this post) . ' geriatric' us contributors/members are.. Are there no 'young un's' about? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts