Gizmo's, do we need/want them?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
After selling my Shogun Last year and purchasing my current Kia Sorento I removed the gizmos'
ie; Rear view camera (permanently live) one on rear of shogun and another on the rear of the sold caravan.
Tyre Pal
Dash Cam
Then you have the caravan dedicated sat nav.
Oh and the mobile phone!!
On MOT days I had to remove the tyre Pal, and sat nav as it wouldnt pass!! Too much obscuring the screen.

I have not installed them into the Kia and to be honest have not missed them.

However I have decided to put new batteries in the Tyre Pal sensors and use that.
Sat Nav I will use
Cant find dash cam, didnt want it any way
Dont need mobile as it will be set to divert to another work colleague.
And haven't missed the rear view camera's at all, (Kia has reverse camera built in).

What do you have and would you really miss it?

Off on Friday for a well deserved 5 night break to celebrate our 41st wedding Anniversary.
Happy vanning folks.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I have had my current 2022 V90 for 10 months now and its “infotainment centre” is nowhere near as complex as the previous 2018 model I had (apparently due to the semiconductor shortage).

Comparing both models:

I DON’T miss the pilot assist function (self steering).

I DO miss the powered folding rear seats (handy when loading something in the boot), the gearbox settings (sport, eco etc), the better dashboard display that was also easier to use.

Gadgets with the new one I like, rear view camera, folding tow bar, Google based sat-nav, hands free tailgate (brilliant when you’re carrying shopping).

Gadgets with the new one I wouldn’t miss, lights in the door handles and bottom of the doors.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never had a rear view camera , but we now have a front and rear view dashcam. Too many close calls while towing where we are not at fault. We only use the Tyrepal for caravan when towing.

We do have the caravan dedicated sat nav and always use it when towing as the built in Satnav cannot be set to take towing a caravan into consideration or advise of speed cameras.

Our dedicated Satnav also advises if we exceed the speed limit in an area by even 3mph. Always have a mobile phone as you never know when you may need it. i.e. puncture or break down.

At times I do miss the auto braking to warn you of a possible collision like on our previous Jeep, but having to do it manually makes you concentrate better and be more aware of road conditions.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So far very happy with my new car it one week old today we went to my cousin home on Sunday at Market Bosworth the Satnav in this car was fantastic .
The rear camera is also great
But the lane assist can be a pain keeps reminding me to drive in the centre of the road but it only doing what it should .
i love the sliding doors on both side of my car it very easy access
The winch is great wish i had one sooner .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The VW like the Kia came fully loaded with gizmos all built in like tyre pal (car only). Dashcam is still,in its box. Time it came out. Rear camera standard. Three specific great gizmos are powered tailgate, hill decent control, and cruise control.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Kia has a full suite of bits but with its 10.25 screen I don’t need a separate satnav. So the dash is delightfully free of clutter. I’ve turned a few things off such as rear camera on whilst going forwards. on start up Lane Monitor is always live so that gets turned off. When I first bought it there was a sound of birds chirping which my wife pointed out. I couldn’t hear them being a bit deaf and not wearing my aids apart from tv watching. After a bit of investigation I found a whole raft of mindfulness tracks such a pebbles in the surf, rain on the forest, outdoor coffee shop etc. Suffice to say they are now off. Things like weather reports via Kia live aren't required, after all it will be what it will be, but live traffic updates to the satnav are useful. So overall a bit like the Curates egg.
The heated steering wheel is great though, yet never even thought of having one.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Kia has a full suite of bits but with its 10.25 screen I don’t need a separate satnav. So the dash is delightfully free of clutter. I’ve turned a few things off such as rear camera on whilst going forwards. on start up Lane Monitor is always live so that gets turned off. When I first bought it there was a sound of birds chirping which my wife pointed out. I couldn’t hear them being a bit deaf and not wearing my aids apart from tv watching. After a bit of investigation I found a whole raft of mindfulness tracks such a pebbles in the surf, rain on the forest, outdoor coffee shop etc. Suffice to say they are now off. Things like weather reports via Kia live aren't required, after all it will be what it will be, but live traffic updates to the satnav are useful. So overall a bit like the Curates egg.
The heated steering wheel is great though, yet never even thought of having one.
I bet you haven’t turned off the heated massaging seats🤪

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
To me the dash cam is the important one. I have dealt with the insurance claims and the amount of fraud and simple lies about what happened is a major problem. The dash cam is the best defence against this sort of thing and I would not ditch that.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've just fitted a dashcam - I've wanted one for years but only just got round to it!

I've also got a wifi rear view camera which I really bought for the caravan, but I also use it on the car when I'm not towing, because the Jeep has a tiny rear window which gives a poor view behind. Unfortunately the app it works with doesn't record, so if I want a rear dashcam (which I do) I'll have to double up on the technology.

I've got some Bluetooth tyre pressure sensors from Amazon which I've been quite disappointed with, they only seem to work with one app which is really poor. The sensors which work with the decent apps are so expensive it'd be cheaper to buy a tyrepal, so I'll be waiting until I can afford one of those.

In short, yes I love gizmos and can't get enough of them!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our latest Kia Sorento has more gadgets than our old one.
I like the heated steering wheel and built in sat nav which also incorporates a reversing camera complete with proximity sensor beeps.
I miss the sunglasses storage spaces built in to the headlining of the old Kia, but the electrically operated panoramic sunroof on this newer model is a plus.
I also like the sport / relaxed steering mode on the newer Kia, the sport mode is great for motorway driving with stiffer steering to give less chance of wander.

Reactions: Gagakev
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The new MG has a 360 camera is great. Very accurate and so easy to park etc. But the blind spot warning is a bit of a waste of time. It is good that it reminds you that you have blind spots. But if you relied on it you would have an accident.

It has its own SatNav. But I don't see much point as it also has Apple and Android.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased a dash cam, hard wired and fitted using a Halfords gift voucher + cash.
The fitter mounted the dash cam at the top of the windscreen on a rectangular sticker attachment which was part of the dashcam.
The camera fell off the screen before we'd even left Halfords!
I immediately went back in, their assistant cleaned the screen and the sticky pad and re-attached the dashcam to the top of the screen and it stayed there.....until the next morning.
Back to Halfords, and another two time since, with number plate double sided sticky pads being used the last time.
That lasted for almost a week before the dash cam fell off again.
I now have two choices.
I could return the dash cam and start again, but I've also considered getting a tube of Soudall Fixall Chrystal to apply a blob of clear bonding solution to the now not so sticky dash cam mounting pad to see if it will solve the problem once and for all.
I want the dash cam, but I don't need it to fall off the screen every few days.
Any thoughts?

• Sad
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased a dash cam, hard wired and fitted using a Halfords gift voucher + cash.
The fitter mounted the dash cam at the top of the windscreen on a rectangular sticker attachment which was part of the dashcam.
The camera fell off the screen before we'd even left Halfords!
I immediately went back in, their assistant cleaned the screen and the sticky pad and re-attached the dashcam to the top of the screen and it stayed there.....until the next morning.
Back to Halfords, and another two time since, with number plate double sided sticky pads being used the last time.
That lasted for almost a week before the dash cam fell off again.
I now have two choices.
I could return the dash cam and start again, but I've also considered getting a tube of Soudall Fixall Chrystal to apply a blob of clear bonding solution to the now not so sticky dash cam mounting pad to see if it will solve the problem once and for all.
I want the dash cam, but I don't need it to fall off the screen every few days.
Any thoughts?
I used that Soudall Fixall to bond the mounting plate of a clear polymer shower holder to the tiles. 12 months and going strong.

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think DashCams are excellent. Not wanting to hijack this thread I have started this one.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think DashCams are excellent. Not wanting to hijack this thread I have started this one.

John
Have you been reading the forum rules ???

Reactions: Jcloughie
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So Tyre Pal tonight had new batteries all round, fitted to the Kia, all worked first time and the bonus wait for..... it all four tyres at the correct pressure, onto the caravan and disappointment set in one Tyre's was 1lb over pressure ,62psi instead of 61psi.
oh well wont loose sleep on that one.
Then decided after reading the replies above, OK will fit the dash cam
No I wont...............still cant find it!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So Tyre Pal tonight had new batteries all round, fitted to the Kia, all worked first time and the bonus wait for..... it all four tyres at the correct pressure, onto the caravan and disappointment set in one Tyre's was 1lb over pressure ,62psi instead of 61psi.
oh well wont loose sleep on that one.
Then decided after reading the replies above, OK will fit the dash cam
No I wont...............still cant find it!!!
Don't worry about it, just enjoy your time away, we are thinking about your recommendation for The Riverside at The George, sounds good. And Happy Anniversary.
A&E.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Our latest Kia Sorento has more gadgets than our old one.
I like the heated steering wheel and built in sat nav which also incorporates a reversing camera complete with proximity sensor beeps.
I miss the sunglasses storage spaces built in to the headlining of the old Kia, but the electrically operated panoramic sunroof on this newer model is a plus.
I also like the sport / relaxed steering mode on the newer Kia, the sport mode is great for motorway driving with stiffer steering to give less chance of wander.
Mine has all that, and other buttons and knobs which I'm yet to find out what they are for!!

One thing that doesnt work any longer is the exterior mirrors which used to tilt every time you put it into reverse, they stopped working after I fitted my extension mirrors for the caravan for the 1st time!!

Reactions: Parksy
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Don't worry about it, just enjoy your time away, we are thinking about your recommendation for The Riverside at The George, sounds good. And Happy Anniversary.
A&E.
Thanks Hutch, looking forward to it, might even take the wife with me :LOL: :LOL:
PS dont tell her I said that.

PPS; dont think it was me that recommended that site, lr has my brian let me down again.
Just looked it up myself and book marked it, one defo for the future,
when you thinking of going?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We were thinking week after next but Mrs H has another appointment , for Xx/#/23. And I missed dentist yesterday due Flambards. Where are you off to this weekend.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our seats are heated and also air cooled depending on time of year. Real bonus the air cooling when you are wearing shorts in summer and have leather seats. :D
I don't mind our Faux leather seat in the Santa Fe. Ok with the climate control. I can always put down a tea towel.
Never seen a heard of Faux Cows.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine has all that, and other buttons and knobs which I'm yet to find out what they are for!!

One thing that doesnt work any longer is the exterior mirrors which used to tilt every time you put it into reverse, they stopped working after I fitted my extension mirrors for the caravan for the 1st time!!
Have you tried to go into settings and selecting the option?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Hutch, looking forward to it, might even take the wife with me :LOL: :LOL:
PS dont tell her I said that.

PPS; dont think it was me that recommended that site, lr has my brian let me down again.
Just looked it up myself and book marked it, one defo for the future,
when you thinking of going?
Hi Kev Happy Anniversary have a great time

TRENDING THREADS