Glasgow area?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
My husband and I have enjoyed visits to Bristol Docks, Chatham Historic Dockyard and been to the Festival of the Sea at Portsmouth several times and have yet to visit Liverpool Dockyard. We were looking at the map today, planning future caravanning trips and wondered if any forum members could tell us if there is a Clyde visitor centre. If so, we would be interested in any CL recommendations in the area, with electric hook-up and WC.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Yes there is a Clyde visitor centre - it is beside Braehead (a shopping centre) not far from Renfrew (west of Glasgow beside Glasgow Airport).

Not sure about CLs in the area but it is the "right" side of Glasgow for Loch Lomond and there are a few good sites around the Loch.

Hope this helps.

Feb 2, 2007
Visit site
Hello 'Meals on Wheels'

I don't know if you plan travelling beyond Glasgow, but if not, there a site in Strathclyde Park, Hamilton and it sits right beside the M74 althjough not too close to be noisy. From there it's about 15 miles to Glasgow City Centre.

Safe jurney.

Charles

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks for the helpful info.

If anyone knows of a good CL they can recommend, within reasonable driving distance of the visitor centre, please let us know.

My husband is very interested in Naval History and many of our caravanning breaks are planned to include a visit to somewhere connected to our maritime heritage.

While we're on the subject - can anyone recommend a CL within reasonable driving distance to Liverpool Historic Dockyard, too?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mrs Meals on Wheels,

Try this web site.....it might help you.

www.scottishmaritimemuseum.org/renfrew.htm

Although we live about half an hour from the museum we have never visited the place !! Typical !!!

There are no CL's nearby on that side of the river.

There is a CL near us just outside Milngavie ( Page 520 )under the heading GLasgow.Mr Bell. Our friends have used it and found it adequate.To get to the museum from Milngavie would take approx half hour through the Clyde Tunnel and along to Braehead shopping centre where the museum is sited.

Another approach would be to take the train from Milngavie into Glasgow and then get the river bus to Braehead ( I think it's a half hourly service ) If you need more info. let me know and I shall try to help you.

The other one is under East Dunbartonshire Page 518, Paterson Barbeth farm,Cumbernauld.

We have heard that the standards at Strathclyde Park caravan site are not as good these days,but we have never been on site so can't comment.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks so much, Maureen. What a brilliant forum this is. There's always someone with local knowledge who can help.

We've been to the website you mentioned and have printed off details.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can recommend the CL at Barbeth Farm mentioned by Maureen. We stayed overnight on our way further north, and also as I had a meeting in Glasgow on the way.

Its in the countryside, so quiet on a farm, peaceful country lane to walk down yet only 5-10 minutes drive from the Cumbernauld railway station with regular trains into Glasgow.

Shouldn't praise it too much as we won't get in next time we go north!

Regards

Ken

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
I can recommend the CL at Barbeth Farm mentioned by Maureen. We stayed overnight on our way further north, and also as I had a meeting in Glasgow on the way.

Its in the countryside, so quiet on a farm, peaceful country lane to walk down yet only 5-10 minutes drive from the Cumbernauld railway station with regular trains into Glasgow.

Shouldn't praise it too much as we won't get in next time we go north!

Regards

Ken
Thanks, Ken for your endorsement of this site, too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts