going off line

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.
having been dismayed over the last few months how cable suppliers treat their customers I have this morning cancelled my subscription completely, this means my internet connecion will be lost some time soon.
I do have the dongle for the laptop but its a bit expensive to run long term so untill I get another supplier I shall be offline for a undetermined period as we are no longer connected to a BT line.
quick question it there a way to create a mail box independently of the main supplier so any current e-mails can be saved to as I will be losing the mail box I have when the service is disconnected.
I have no idea when it will be disconnected we pay in advance so it could be in one months time or tomorrow who knows anyway for the time being and while I have the chance its goodbye from me untill it is sorted.
so behave yourselfs I will be back when it is possible to do so.

colin.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
ps. sorry should have also said that I am a bit conserned about being able to keep things like ebay account and paypal active during the transison when the mailbox is no longer accessible.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I assume you have a @btinternet.com email address. if your email is say - c.yorks @ btinternet.com just open a yahoo.co.uk email address - c.yorks @yahoo.co.uk or a hotmail address. Change your Ebay address and any other account details in account details to the new address and just tell all your contacts to send future email to the new address now.
Should not be a problem.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Colin
You can get free desktop internet access from your local library to keep tabs on your emails etc. while you're offline at home.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Colin,
Just to clarify why you will lose your mail, do you currently access your mail only via a web page? If so and they close the account you are right you will lose acces to any stored mail and of course any new mail. If this is the case you may have to set up an e-mail client such as Outlook Express which will download all your old records and store them locally on your PC. Most ISPs have a help page showing you how to set up POP access as it is called. I think when I changed from BT some years ago they left the account active for about a year so you could open a new account with Google Mail for example, then set up rules in the BT account to divert everything to your new Google account. Since being caught in your position some years ago I always use mail providers who are not tied to an ISP for my important address, e.g. Google. so you can change ISP without worrying about mail. Use your ISP provider address for on-line competitions etc. which are likely to generate spam, as they get closed when you move to a new ISP.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi guys
thanks for the info must admit I had not thought of gmail I did have a MSN one years ago but it lapsed.
I will set one up and see how it goes
many thanks

ps how do I divert my emails from the old one to the new one again is the tab on the new or the old.provider.
colin

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have Windows Live Mail which replaced the old Outlook Express. It's a lot more user friendly than Outlook and will check all your other email addresses once set up which is relatively easy to do. Your old ISP based addy should still be accessible for a certain amount of time.
As well as my ISP addy, I have Hotmail and Google web based mail mainly for spam and Live Mail checks them all for emails.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts