Going to Ireland?

May 16, 2006
Visit site
We are thinking of going to Ireland with our van next summer. We live near Cardiff so would prefer to sail from Swansea-Cork than a different route, as less driving involved. Does anyone know of any good sites within a couple of hours of the ferry at Cork? We've never been to Ireland so would also value advice on things to see if we do go. Also likely cost of a ferry with car and caravan? We'll be taking our two sons, aged 7 and 4. Any useful tips would be much appreciated!

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I would be interested to hear replies to this too.

We were looking at taking the van over but had been advised not to by someone who has taken a tourer over and by my brother who lives in the North.

They both said the roads in size and quality are not anywhere near as good as over here and you can get caught out by unmarked tight bends and narrow lanes - we have got a big outfit mind you.

I would like to think that this is not the case though.

I have only been to the North without a van and remember it being little different to here and not as bad as Cornwall, but the advice was to do with the South.

I have not heard a bad thing about the people or scenery.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Just to spoil the party, we went a few years ago and hated it, couldn`t wait to get home, and vowed not to return under any circumstances.

However, my brother goes every year and loves it........

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I went to Ireland a few months ago (not with the van though). Beautiful place, friendly laid back people. However, some of the roads are very scary and makes some of the Cornish roads look like dual carriageways in comparison!

Lisa

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Louisa.

Can`t help with the sites, but a word of warning, I have seen signs at several sites in Southern Ireland banning double axle caravans from staying there, something to do with the travelers over there, apparently if they get on a site, it takes a court order to shift them and they still don`t pay.

if any one intends to take a double axle over I recomend they phone a head.

Tony A.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
we have been going for 5 years now and it is the best place ever try not to go jul-aug most places are booked they have 8 weeks holiday mannix point is the best caravan park ever small but brileant most sites dont cater for teenagers no discos or slots but go there and you will like it look on mannix points web site

May 16, 2006
Visit site
we have been going for 5 years now and it is the best place ever try not to go jul-aug most places are booked they have 8 weeks holiday mannix point is the best caravan park ever small but brileant most sites dont cater for teenagers no discos or slots but go there and you will like it look on mannix points web site
Hi Benny,

Thanks very much for your advice. I checked out the website and it does look brilliant. All I have to do now is convince the man of the house to face the roads everyone else has said are so scary!

Thanks also to everyone else who responded, the info is all very useful.

TRENDING THREADS