Gordon Brown - very astute?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gordon Brown seems to be the most astute politician in history.

There are so many politically damaging issues that Blair is being forced to take responsibility for, which keep Brown appearing almost honest.

My own theory is that he's refusing to take over from Blair until all the flak has been dealt with!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh yes! - agree with that.

But his stealth tax history and countless U-turns on policy, together with complex legislation that is costly to impliment but raises little revenue for the treasury (hence the need for stealth taxes and U-turns) leave him distinctly vulnerable to being seen as a ditherer rather than someone who knows what he is doing.

G

I agree with the thoughts but not necessarily the reasoning. G Brown has been the most important member of the Labour Government since it gained power in 1997. Nothing is decided without his approval, so in my book, he bears full responsibility for every single mess that has been created. Trying to pretend he doesn't know what is going on is similar to Stalin denying the Gulag, it is just impossible.

He should not be allowed to take office as PM, until an election has been called to decide the will of the people. Knowing New Labour there is lttle chance of that happening.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Scotch Lad

"He should not be allowed to take office as PM, until an election has been called to decide the will of the people. Knowing New Labour there is lttle chance of that happening".

Why would that be ?? We never had an election when Maggie was turfed out ?.

Val & Frank

G

Frank,

I do agree with the point and did consider it when writing the post.

The point I was making is that back then it was more of a case that Maggie (bless her cotton socks) was more unpopular than the Government as a whole. In fact several members of her own Cabinet resigned after disagreeing with her. Can you recall a single instance of anyone in New Labour resigning on principle? They have to be kicked out screaming, and then usually crawl back through the back door. Spin, lies and deceipt is so much the par for the course with this bunch which is why I feel that an election is the only way the country will tolerate any change.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
I agree with scotch lad Brown shouldnt be allowed to take office until an election is held i voted labour in the last election but the way we have been sold down the river by blair and brown i think my next vote would be independant the way blair and brown have been taxing the life out of us we will have to pay them to go to work next.

G

President Truman was famous for having a sign on his desk that said: 'the buck stops here'. Blair and Brown have one on their desks that states: 'It wisnae me, it was anither laddie that done it'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts