Grayston spring assisters - fitting problems

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to fit rubber spring assisters to my 2007 Kia Carens 2.0l CRDI. The gap between the coils is 28mm and I have the correct type of assister (GE 14) which is OK for a gap of 26 - 38 mm. I reckon that I am a very average DIY person, but I simply can't get the assisters into the coil springs. I've followed the tips and boiled the assisters for over 20 mins and I've covered the springs in washing up liquid. Is it me, or have others had similar problems? Instructions also suggest 'unscrewing pin type shock absorbers' but I've no idea what that means and if it is easy or difficult.Any advice gratefully received.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
oldagetraveller said:
I have been trying to fit rubber spring assisters to my 2007 Kia Carens 2.0l CRDI. The gap between the coils is 28mm and I have the correct type of assister (GE 14) which is OK for a gap of 26 - 38 mm. I reckon that I am a very average DIY person, but I simply can't get the assisters into the coil springs. I've followed the tips and boiled the assisters for over 20 mins and I've covered the springs in washing up liquid. Is it me, or have others had similar problems? Instructions also suggest 'unscrewing pin type shock absorbers' but I've no idea what that means and if it is easy or difficult.Any advice gratefully received.
hi, may sound silly or reading your post maybe not so??? are you jacking up the car leaving the wheel to hang and thereby reducing the tension on the spring
smiley-embarassed.gif
is the spring clean?? as rust will stop the assister sliding through in between the coils,use liberal ammounts of soft soap on both the rubber and coil spring and try feeding the assister rubber one end first around with the direction of the coils, if all else fails you will indeed have to release the shock absorber from its btm mounting by removing the bolt, its a bit more tricky as you have to use a jack under the wheel or suspension arm,
jack the car up, place on axel stands with the wheel off the ground place jack under wheel or arm jack up untill the suspension is under normal tension remove the btm bolt then slowly lower jack under arm until the coils in the spring are wide enough to insert the rubber jack up the arm again untill the bolt can be replaced in the shock absorber tighen nut to the correct torque, job done try and position the rubber to either the top or btm of the spring as this prevents the rubber from becomming dislodged during use,

having said all that the prof is quite right though under tow it will make no difference to the towing ability of the car as all they do is stop the suspension from bottoming out, however this can be usefull if the car is to be driven over rough ground while carrying weight as it can prevent grounding,
colin

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Prof John L said:
I shall simply say that you should not need to fitt spring assisters. see other posts for why not.
The OP asked for help fitting the donuts.
Not a lecture on why you shouldn't use them, or need them.
Having used them on four different cars, i can say that they do stop the rear of the car dropping as much under load, and actually improve handling.

The rubbers do require the spring being relaxed fully, and can be difficult to fit, especially when your using them on the bottom side of there fitment range, which is why i always left them on.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
RAY said:
Having used them on four different cars, i can say that they do stop the rear of the car dropping as much under load, and actually improve handling.
Of course spring assisters would prevent the rear of the car from dropping as much under load, but as the car was designed to behave as it should with the standard suspension setup even with the rear end lower, or else there would have been an error in the design, I can understand the reservations against fitting them.
As for improved handling, any increase in the rear spring rate on account of fitting spring assisters will tend to make the car oversteer more. It is a known fact that less experienced drivers have more difficulty in controlling a vehicle with a tendancy to oversteer than one which understeers.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
OK, the spring needs to be fully relaxed so the car needs to be on axle stands with the spring loose. You might need to undo one end of the shock absorber (suspension damper) to achieve the travel required. It is often easiest to fit assisters if the spring is off the car and has been thoroughly cleaned up first.
Having said all that, if it were mine I would fit some MAD progressive springs instead.
http://www.mad-suspension.co.uk/Progressive.php
Dom.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I doubt whether you would unless you enter a bend having misjudged your speed or if you are confronted by a sudden hazard while negotiating a bend. It's the sort of thing the average driver only experiences in an emergency situation, but it could be life-threatening if suddenly surprised by the back end of the car trying to overtake the front.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
My OH has fitted spring assisters to our Mondeo Estate - and all the others we've ever had - and had no problem. He jacked up the car, so that the spring hung loose. He found that after boiling the spring assister, and using diluted washing up liquid, (undiluted was too sticky), the easiest way to get the spring assister in was by putting the bottom edge in and then waggling the assister up and down, feeding it in, top and bottom of the assister alternately. As it went into the coil of the spring he pushed the assister round so that he was always pushing it in at the same place. This meant that he was using the assister as a lever, on itself. Just make sure that the fixing lugs don't foul the brake pipes or anything else!
Hope you understand - he knows what he means anyway! Any problems email me.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Yes, I did jack the car up fully and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the springs. Guess I'll just have to release the shock absorbers! The reason I want to fit them is simply to give me another couple of cms ground clearance at the back. The Carens handles impeccably with the van on the back, so it's nothing to do with improved handling really. Incidentaly, the Carens is an excellent all round tow car. It has really impressed me. So much better than I expected and an amazing second hand bargain.

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Patex
I fitted them to my old 54 plate Carens and each side took about 20mins. I did'nt boil them as there was no need. Are you sure that you have the correct size as there could have been a packing mistake. Speak to the manufacturer for advice. When fitted i never noticed any differance in handling and agree with you that the Carens is a fantastic tow car. I still have it and use it to tow now and again.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes - you've solved the problem! Incorrect sizeing! Slightly annoying because I 'phoned Grayston to ask the size. But to be fair to them, thay do make it clear that customers should check the size before removing from the blister pack. So I've got only myself to blame.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts