Green Toilet Fluids

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Aldi currently has stocks of blue pink and green. I have been using the pink in the top flush tank for several seasons, but after cleaning out black bits last autumn and this spring, treating with a Milton dilution, I am going to try a different make. A 'top and tail' version would suit as one less thing to carry!
it might be blue and green from Aldi if i was buying

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We recently bought the Dometic Powercare tablets at a bargain price and you got 25% extra in a tub. These are even worse than the green tabs we have tried on previous occasions. The smell when emptying is horrendous. BTW no mention of formaldehyde anywhere on the container or pamplet.
The previous lot of Dometic tablets were brilliant, but we bought them about 2-3 years ago when the CAMC were running a special on them.
Immediately prior to using the new tablets we used the Elsan blue purchased in about 2015 and found in the garage when doing a clear out. No issues there with smell.
Need to start looking around again!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We recently bought the Dometic Powercare tablets at a bargain price and you got 25% extra in a tub. These are even worse than the green tabs we have tried on previous occasions. The smell when emptying is horrendous. BTW no mention of formaldehyde anywhere on the container or pamplet.
The previous lot of Dometic tablets were brilliant, but we bought them about 2-3 years ago when the CAMC were running a special on them.
Immediately prior to using the new tablets we used the Elsan blue purchased in about 2015 and found in the garage when doing a clear out. No issues there with smell.
Need to start looking around again!
Formaldehyde and smell are mutually exclusive - formaldehyde stops the decomposition of solid waste and stops the smells - it also stops sewage systems working as well as being cancerous whish is why it's generally withdrawn - formulations without formaldehyde allow/encourage decomposition which generates the smell and needs more "perfume" to overcome.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
We have been using Olpro top and bottom which is formaldehyde free so 'green' in that sense. Smells ok to us, seems to do the job and only 1 bottle to carry around.Olpro

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Formaldehyde and smell are mutually exclusive - formaldehyde stops the decomposition of solid waste and stops the smells - it also stops sewage systems working as well as being cancerous whish is why it's generally withdrawn - formulations without formaldehyde allow/encourage decomposition which generates the smell and needs more "perfume" to overcome.
These new type improved Dometic Powercare tablets are marketed as the blue as the non formaldehyde are in a green container and the colour green. Not quite sure what they use to break down the solids? I thought that Formaldehyde added the breakdown of solids?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have been using Olpro top and bottom which is formaldehyde free so 'green' in that sense. Smells ok to us, seems to do the job and only 1 bottle to carry around.Olpro
Olpro is probably a rebranded product as doubt if they have the facilities to make their own. however if it works who cares where it is made? LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I read that the next generation of caravans will have composting toilets and require you to carry a bag of sawdust or similar. Oak or pine anyone?

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I thought that Formaldehyde added the breakdown of solids?
Not an expert, but I do know that formaldehyde is used in hospital pathology departments to preserve samples as they are at the point they're fixed, so in that context at least they're preventing decomposition.

That said, I've never known a caravan toilet chemical, of whatever colour, that significantly breaks down...umm..solid matter...in the short timespan between the matter entering the tank, and the tank being emptied. Waste stays in the site sewage pit for much longer, obviously, and that's got to be where the break down happens.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
More likely just SOG systems which are widely used in South Africa and Australia
Done plenty of camping in South Africa and also had a small trailer camper and had never heard of the SOG system until we moved to Britain. I belong to a SA caravan fourm and it has never been mentioned? When we used to go camping we simply used ant bear holes or dug a hole as no toilets in caravans in those days.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can get a few toilet chemicals that say they can be added to the top and work at the bottom. Given the vivid colours of these and the awkward filler for the toilet I do not risk it as I do wonder if a small spill would stain the very white side of the caravan.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
You can get a few toilet chemicals that say they can be added to the top and work at the bottom. Given the vivid colours of these and the awkward filler for the toilet I do not risk it as I do wonder if a small spill would stain the very white side of the caravan.

I’ve put the Elsan Green in ours and been using the van as an office today. Quite agree on the stain risk as it is vivid.
Have to see how it goes.

Kev

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Dunno about the White side of a caravan but did have a bottle of blue “ One” toilet fluid up end itself in a front locker. Never got the stains out.
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dunno about the White side of a caravan but did have a bottle of blue “ One” toilet fluid up end itself in a front locker. Never got the stains out.
mel
We used Onechem a blue biocompatible too and bottom fluid. Never did any damage or staining of the plastic bowl. But it was only one measure in 15 litres. So quite dilute. But it worked for us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts