Gritters

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anyone had their roads (or even major roads) gritted?

We haven't - looks like I'll be walking to work tomorrow. Bloody Council/Highways Agency.

Lisa

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi lisa

had you thought that the guy who drives the gritter may not have been able to get to work cos the roads had not been gritted.

sounds odd but think about it I assume they dont take the truck home.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I didn't SEE a gritter till after Xmas.

They say they have to keep the trunk roads open.

My problem is getting from my front door to my car, which involves a lot of flapping of arms. Getting to the end of the road, on foot, is exhausting. The chemist tells me that three people have fallen outside his shop ..... high street pavement. But we have no problem driving on the ungritted road.

Keeping the trunk roads open keeps commerce alive. Commerce doesn't have a vote. We have votes, but don't get the service. Oh well, thats one form of democracy.

The problem seems to be that if the council grit the road, they become liable. Now there is a law that needs thinking about. How much do our councils pay the insurance companies? Do the insurance companies tell councils not to grit the roads? Solution! Make private accident insurance compulsory for everybody. Then the insurers will have to pay out whether the pavements are cleared/gritted or not. Removes tongue from cheek.

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
We haven't seen one and our roads through the estate are packed with snow. Our street hasn't seen a gritter all winter. Luckily we both have 4x4 vehicles so getting out and about hasn't been a problem.

I bet some people with they had 4x4 gas guzzlers now haha!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Council worker told us the HSE and stopped them going out yesterday here in Cheshire, all they did all day was fool around in the snow, sounds about right for the HSE, they have never heard of managing risk, why do thing big buisness decided to take the work to the far east

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The minor road at the end of our Cul de Sac has been gritted (by North Yorkshire Council) and we now have a full grit bin (courtesy of North Yorkshire Council). Well done, that lot - they were gritting right up to midnight last night.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We haven't seen one and our roads through the estate are packed with snow. Our street hasn't seen a gritter all winter. Luckily we both have 4x4 vehicles so getting out and about hasn't been a problem.

I bet some people with they had 4x4 gas guzzlers now haha!
Shush Mrs Sproket. One or two wont see the funny side of your last comment because it's not funny to them. Anymore comments like that and I'll have to have a word with your master and he'll post a link to send you to the sin bin :O)

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have to say that the area I live in (wolverhampton) has been fairly good in keeping roads clear - at least major roads , bus routes , and near some some schools.

But where I work , walsall , yet agian seem very poor at keeping even the major road near the hospital clear and this has been for some years.

Why - cost - walsall are in dire troubles financially so road maintenance (in general) is very low on their priority list.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
A letter in our local newspaper today says that when the writer contacted the council re gritting etc. the reponse from the official was to ask whether the writer though the council had a crystal ball. They may not have a crystal ball but surely weather forcasts have not been kept secret. Or perhaps now that we have been reorganised here in Cheshire, we are controlled from such a distance that the controllers don't know whats going on in our part of Cheshire.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
one of my uncles was head of parks department for the local council in the 60s and 70s and was responsible for the gritting operations.

Never got caught out he and his team always had the roads in our town open ready for the milk man to deliver your pinta.

Didn't have all the modern forecasting tools of today and never got it wrong.

Progress!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts