Ground sheets & shower duck boards

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Two queries....

We're looking for a new ground sheet for our awning. Although we prefer not to use them they are sometimes neccesary on some CLS! We have seen one we like which we are told is breathable, but looks very closely woven - Bolon groundsheets made by a Swedish company. Does anyone know how breathable they are? They're quite pricey so don't want to make an expensive mistake!

Which is they best is both looks and breathability?

We're also looking for a 'duckboard' for our shower tray... we've seen them in (I think..) Eldis vans but dealers aren't any help. They fit into the base of the shower tray and are made of same/simalar material. They have small holes in so the water can run through rather than the usual wooden slat types. Has anyone seen them? Do you know where we could get one from?

Thanks folks!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Julie, we had a Bolon carpet with the Isabella for our old caravan.

The Bolon is very breathable, so much so that it doesn't stop the mud oozing through!

Having changed caravan, we just have an NR porch. If we're on hardstanding or well-drained grass we do without any groundsheet and just use an old-fashioned impermeable type in bad conditions.

I'm now of the opinion that breathable groundsheets are pointless. They only work in conditions when you don't need a groundsheet at all!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Julie,

despite the comments from Roger, we have found the breathable "carpet" type of groundsheet to be very good.

Sure, they will let mud or standing water through in extreme conditions but on the more usual surfaces, damp grass or gravel, they are fine.

The main thing is that they do not kill the grass like a normal groundsheet, although the grass will lose a bit of its colour after prolonged use. They are also very comfortable to walk on, even with bare feet on a cold morning.

It is a bit more dificult to clean the underneath after you get home because the fabric is woven but I use a pressure washer or just let it dry and use a stiff brush.

We are just about to buy a new awning to fit our new and larger van and will be buying a new Bolon "carpet" to fit.

Clarky.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I to seen the shower duck board you are refering too. I have a swift charisma & the tray is fitted to the swift challenger 500 I emailed swift they told me to go to my dealer , once I explained what I wanted they got it for me . not cheap

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Julie

As one who has to try and restore grass after a pitch is cleared I do not like to see any ground sheet used, our soil is sandy so mudd should not be a problem. We have found that only a few days in high summer will turn the grass yellow. this does not effect the current user but does not look good for our next visitor. Hence the use of hard standings on soil types that are not free draining. so I would ask please only use any ground sheet as a last resort. and if you are using a CL please ask if that would be ok.

Have fun

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have tried and tested many different ground sheets for our awning. We have come to the conclusion it is far nicer all round not to bother with a ground sheet at all. The grass is lovely to walk on and does not suffer from bald patches, even where we peg down!

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Ann

Thank you , you only have to look at any site that has had a high usage throughout the summer to how sad the pitches look, like yourself I find most are willing to forgo thier ground sheets to protect the grass.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I had an aerotex groundsheet with my last van, and have decided not to bother with a groundsheet now as I can't be bothered transporting a muddy groundsheet home after a damp weekend.

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
David

We rarely use our groundsheet but sadly on some CLs sheep 'mess' is all over the place and try as we may to clear some of it up, it is impossible not to walk it into the caravan, neither is it nice to sit in the awning surrounded by the stuff.... it is in these situations we prefer to use a groundsheet. however if the CL / site owner supplies us with a clean nice pitch.... then naturally we don't use one!

This is why we're looking for a good breathable type!

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Julie

I can only agree with you and would do the same, but have you looked at Armcher Guides WWW.armcher.com you can see Cls before you try. yes I have an interest or CL is featured.

Have fun

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts