Grr, lost my mover remote today through my own stupidity

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Most of my lockers have catch, it’s just the battery and gas lockers which have to have a key turned …. Even my toilet cassette compartment has a key…. Who the hell would want to nick that?!

Been there, had it nicked. Discovered the cassette was gone when on site and foster son opened the lid and peed into the non existent cassette. ( We had left it set up for the next trip and so hadn’t opened it on site on arrival). Realised the lock had been broken but had been left shut. Curiously the locker door hadn’t opened en route.
Clearly nicked by someone who wanted a new cassette and saw our van on the drive.
As many on this forum commented at the time… Someone was taking the …..
Mel

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Even my toilet cassette compartment has a key…. Who the hell would want to nick that?!
Someone who sells caravan spare parts online and doesn't mind doing a bit of cleaning to get a cheap source of supply.

Or someone whose caravan loo isn't in the first flush of youth (see what I did there) and isn't particular about respecting other people's property

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Forgot to lock shut my battery compartment. In there is the switch for the mover. I usually tuck the remote in next to the switch.
I have been staying a short distance from my storage at a site near to South Cerney for the vintage extravaganza. On the way back I noticed the door flapping about. Pulled over to sort it out then discovered remote had gone. Storage site gave me a different space which is easier to reverse into. Dropped the van off and retraced my journey , driving slowly and annoying people, but to no avail. It’s either been flicked away from the road or crushed into thousands of pieces by a steam roller leaving the show !

Looking at prices they seem to vary a lot. I see there are some universal ones about. How does replacing it work usually, do they have to be “paired” in some way?
[/QUOTE I have mine on a lanyard round my neck when using . After use it hangs on the rear of my seat.

Aug 6, 2022
Visit site
this made me chuckle , just reading down the last couple of posts about cassettes and I got to J. Lo's post and just read the last line .....[/QUOTE I have mine on a lanyard round my neck when using . After use it hangs on the rear of my seat.:ROFLMAO::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: RogerL and DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Lost my remote, couldn't find it anywhere, had a weeks holiday without it, had to reverse onto pitch plenty of room though.

Got home and started to look to find a replacement, felt peckish, went to get apple from the empty fruit bowl, and there is was.

How it got there, God only knows, no one else knows, "must have been you, wasn't me" argument.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lost my remote, couldn't find it anywhere, had a weeks holiday without it, had to reverse onto pitch plenty of room though.

Got home and started to look to find a replacement, felt peckish, went to get apple from the empty fruit bowl, and there is was.

How it got there, God only knows, no one else knows, "must have been you, wasn't me" argument.
Mrs H lost one set of car keys, just before I got home from 8 weeks away at work overseas, she found them in the frezzer the morning I came home. How, why, Who knows. 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: DaveA1
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
One of our cats has to have medicine first thing every morning, which means I do it.

Every single morning I find myself looking in the fridge for medicine that I know perfectly well is in the medicine cabinet.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I’ve gone marching around desperately searching for things and discovered they’re in my pocket!:rolleyes:

anyhow, got my replacement remote today, ordered from A&R (EBay shop) as recommended by Jaydug. Very impressed with the quality, I think it’s actually better than the original. Been over to the caravan today as I had a few jobs to do and had the day off work. It was a bit of a ballache pairing it, but I got there in the end. Works beautifully. Now just need to get some sticky Velcro pads so I can keep it by the door.

Reactions: DaveA1
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Think just about any part on a caravan is liable to be nicked these days. The lead time to get say new windows can be horrific, hence the high value of existing used parts, incentivises theft. We stupidly left a tv in our van out front late last year, some low life broke in to collect it. TVs can be had for a couple of hundred, not the worst perhaps. But the surprise was they did not stop at the TV, they cracked one window getting in and nicked the bigger window the TV was behind. Cue about 8 months wait for new windows. Not hard to see why they nick the part when you have to try so hard to get a replacement. Value of plastic window way exceeds that of TV. All delays in the name of Covid etc etc,

Steve

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Putting the car away last night into the garage, I put the keys away in the drawer with the dog leads. I thought where are the other set?
I searched the house shopping bags fridge , frezzer everywhere. Sudden thought, I had both sets away with us in the caravan, two weeks ago, maybe I left them there, so went to the caravan this morning . No not there, back at home, moved the car out of the garage, moved Mrs H's Chariot over, got my motor bike out, searched all the tool boxes. Sudden lightbulb moment, they are in the side pocket of the dogs cool bag, where we keep cold water when away in the caravan.
I can sit back and take the dogs ( one is a house guest for a week ) down the pub for a celebratory pint or two.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to lock shut my battery compartment. In there is the switch for the mover. I usually tuck the remote in next to the switch.
I have been staying a short distance from my storage at a site near to South Cerney for the vintage extravaganza. On the way back I noticed the door flapping about. Pulled over to sort it out then discovered remote had gone. Storage site gave me a different space which is easier to reverse into. Dropped the van off and retraced my journey , driving slowly and annoying people, but to no avail. It’s either been flicked away from the road or crushed into thousands of pieces by a steam roller leaving the show !

Looking at prices they seem to vary a lot. I see there are some universal ones about. How does replacing it work usually, do they have to be “paired” in some way?
We keep the mover remote in the car glove box.We always shut and lock the battery box door before moving the van - an expensive lesson was learnt after the door was ripped off when moving the van down the drive.(box was lower down on this particular van ) and the open lid hit the drive.

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We keep the mover remote in the car glove box.We always shut and lock the battery box door before moving the van - an expensive lesson was learnt after the door was ripped off when moving the van down the drive.(box was lower down on this particular van ) and the open lid hit the drive.
I have a bag, where I keep all the "bits" for moving the van, wheel lock, hitch lock keys, extention drive for the stabalisers for the drill, Motor mover remote, motor mover handle, pain killing cream , for use after using the motor mover.

Aug 6, 2022
Visit site
I have a bag, where I keep all the "bits" for moving the van, wheel lock, hitch lock keys, extention drive for the stabalisers for the drill, Motor mover remote, motor mover handle, pain killing cream , for use after using the motor mover.
is the pain killing cream because the mover handle is a bit stiff to get over onto the tyres, have you checked your gap lately? Some folks put too much air in the tyres thereby closing the gap and making it near impossible to get the lever across onto the tyre.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
is the pain killing cream because the mover handle is a bit stiff to get over onto the tyres, have you checked your gap lately? Some folks put too much air in the tyres thereby closing the gap and making it near impossible to get the lever across onto the tyre.
I always used a telescopic wheel wrench to give a longer lever arm. The wrench supplied by the motor mover maker was quite short. If anyone prefers manual over automatic electric and don’t want a gym session a wind on is a much better choice. Our first mover was a Reich wind on; top quality unit.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
If you have a cross-over bar fitted between the two motors so that both sides can be deployed from one side, then the effort required to move both together is high. The longer the lever, the easier it becomes.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Joanie, I reset my gap after the last tyre change, and putting in to much air, I presume you mean setting the pressure to the correct pressure, of the tyre for the MTPM of the caravan, Unless you are seriousley underpresurising your tyres will make almost no difference. I think you may need to check your own tyre pressures. Adjusting them, to be able to operate your motor mover is not the correct way.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Putting the car away last night into the garage, I put the keys away in the drawer with the dog leads. I thought where are the other set?
I searched the house shopping bags fridge , freezer everywhere. Sudden thought, I had both sets away with us in the caravan, two weeks ago, maybe I left them there, so went to the caravan this morning . No not there, back at home, moved the car out of the garage, moved Mrs H's Chariot over, got my motor bike out, searched all the tool boxes. Sudden lightbulb moment, they are in the side pocket of the dogs cool bag, where we keep cold water when away in the caravan.
I can sit back and take the dogs ( one is a house guest for a week ) down the pub for a celebratory pint or two.

I think we have all at sometime put the keys in a safe place. Problem is remembering where the safe place is. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RogerL
Sep 1, 2022
Visit site

That's fine as long as the car/van doesn't drive over it. Even with a tag it won't be much use :p;)

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts