Hairline cracks in the Gel coating on front panels

May 19, 2005
Visit site
I've read the comments on the above problems that are caused by stress fractures, however, mine are caused by a small bump and I want to get them repaired without going to the expense of a replacement. Does anyone know if they can ground out (rubbibg paste),can the Gel coating be painted or is there a repair kit available? My caravan is an Explorer (Compass) Herald 460/2 (1999) There are a few cracks in the locker lid as well all caused by I guess, rough handling at sometime! Car renovation is easy these days with all the materials around but I've been unable to make any impression on these ugly hairline cracks. Any suggestions! Mike

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Michael,

Hairline cracks in the gel coat can also be caused by UV light degradation. If your caravan has been stored facing South for any extended periods of time in the past, it could be a major contributing factor.

Low DFT (dry film thickness) of the gel coat during manufacture is likely to be the cause. Impact and stress damage can also cause this type of defect, but if so, it is generally confined to specific localised areas.

Remedial work to rectify the hairline cracks is a straight forward job for any reputable car body shop repairer.

Regards,

Dave M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you contact Explorer group customer service via their website, I am sure they will be able to put you in touch with their glass fibre panel manufacturers. They have a man that tours the country fixing problems like this. I had mine done, the repair is invisible. Sorry I can't be more helpful - lost their address

May 19, 2005
Visit site
If you contact Explorer group customer service via their website, I am sure they will be able to put you in touch with their glass fibre panel manufacturers. They have a man that tours the country fixing problems like this. I had mine done, the repair is invisible. Sorry I can't be more helpful - lost their address
Thanks for this. I've been in contact but haven't as yet had a response. Mike

May 19, 2005
Visit site
Michael,

Hairline cracks in the gel coat can also be caused by UV light degradation. If your caravan has been stored facing South for any extended periods of time in the past, it could be a major contributing factor.

Low DFT (dry film thickness) of the gel coat during manufacture is likely to be the cause. Impact and stress damage can also cause this type of defect, but if so, it is generally confined to specific localised areas.

Remedial work to rectify the hairline cracks is a straight forward job for any reputable car body shop repairer.

Regards,

Dave M
Thanks for your help, I believe my damage was caused by impact Mike

TRENDING THREADS