hairline Cracks

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum and I would like some advice from you. We have just purchased a S/H 2004 Avondale Argente 390/2 caravan and noticed that on the front offside panel there are 4 small (about one inch long) hairline cracks, 1 on the nearside front panel and 1 on either side of the rear panel. We phoned the company from whom we purchased the van and were told that these are caused by stress and were quite common, even on new vans. We were told to have our holiday (which was supposed to start this Tuesday) and take the van in for repair when we get back.

Our questions are:

1. Are these hairline serious and can they be repaired as easily

as we have been told?

2. Should we return the van as being unsuitable, given we only

took delivery on Friday 31 March?

Thank you

Harry

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you search this sites posts you will find more than a fair ammount of comment on Avondale front panels.

Search is just above here under Forum FAQs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi harry

got the same problem with my avondale osprey(2years old)stress fractures they call them,was told by technician that the whole back panel would have to be replaced.got a phone call 2 days ago and avondale said because it was a fibreglass panel it could be repaired,if it had been plastic they would have had to replace the whole panel.enquired on the validity of a repair and was told their would be no problem, it could be repaired,and if anything was to happen at a later date it would be addressed.so we'll see what happens and hopefully everything will be ok

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply. Our problem is, do we go on holiday or take it back before we use the van and then get involved in a lot of hassle? If the repair is guaranteed then we would be quite happy to accept that route. Given that there could be problems even with new vans what other options are there.

Harry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
asked the technician if it needed doing immediately, and he said it need not be done immediately as the fractures were not that far advanced.but he did say the quicker its done the better as the fractures do get worse and open up,thus allowing water to penetrate and further damage the van.he did show me a van in an advanced stage of fractuing and it did look quite bad.at the moment you can hardly see mine,i wouldn't have evev noticed them if i hadn't been shown,you really do have to look close to see them.ive had my van from new,you've bought a used one which in my mind they should have seen these fractures and either repaired them before selling the van, or, pointing out to you the fractures when showing you the van.do they have a service place at this dealers???,if they have,and the van was serviced properly,and they will have known the problems that avondale have had with at least 2 of their ranges and i'm sure the argent was one of them then this really should have been noted????

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi The caravan dealer has a service & repair facility and has assured me that it will be done properly. I also phoned Avondale Customer Services who said that it would be OK to use and that this type of fault was known to them. They said that it may be a minor repair or, if serious, the front & rear panels could be replaced. They also said that because they knew that this type of fault occured in the Argente and being S/H (the warranty, normally 3 years, is no longer valid) they would deal with the supplier favourably. Anyway we are now setting off to the storage area and having another check.

Harry

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
as far as i know,only affects 2004 models,but avondale also have a problem with the shower cubicle doors,they warp and wont stay closed.mine is having it done for the 2nd time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Klarky is your dealer covering the work to your Osprey? The warranty says panel cracks only for the first year unless there is water ingress. My parents Osprey has this too and is the same age and the dealer Kimberly Caravans does not want to know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi paul

yes, it is been done under warranty, by glossop caravans.avondale know of this problem and as far as i'm aware they are replacing or repairing the panels concerned. there is also, as i have mentioned previously, a problem with the shower cubicle doors,if your parents shower doors are warped and will not shut correcty this is a manufacturing problem.mine are been replaced for the 2nd time,tell them to check this out.as for the fractures,contact avondale and explain.kimberley caravans MUST do something about this,my caravan came with a 3yr body and 5yr water ingress warranty.as long as they have had the van serviced they should be ok

TRENDING THREADS