Hand wheel on Pigtail Split

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had the need to "borrow" a gas bottle this morning from the locker of the caravan, cooking breakfast on BBQ ---ran out off gas!!!

Any one had the handwheel split? It split in one place and actually stopped me from turning it, so tapped it off and used a spanner.

Would the sun heat the locker that much to damage it?

Van not been used since it's service back last September.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Not sure how old the pigtail is but presumably it is the black handwheel that has become brittle and split. seems you can buy either a direct replacement or one with a brass nut requiring a spanner at a similar price, so presumably the plastic handwheel is a convenience factor - saving finding the spanner when changing cylinders. The black 'pipe' is dated, so presumably is regarded as having a limited life anyway.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Not sure how old the pigtail is but presumably it is the black handwheel that has become brittle and split. seems you can buy either a direct replacement or one with a brass nut requiring a spanner at a similar price, so presumably the plastic handwheel is a convenience factor - saving finding the spanner when changing cylinders. The black 'pipe' is dated, so presumably is regarded as having a limited life anyway.
Hi audiorob, yes you are correct the black handwheel, mine is not the black pipe but braded with a plastic covering.
Just checked the date and was fitted 2011 or 2012 but has 20 year lifespan!! looking at it I can just use the spanner so may not even replace it at £32.00 odd.
IMG_20200601_205958.jpg

IMG_20200601_210052.jpg

The wheel is actually split but not showing in photo's.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
They don't have to cost £32, LINK

The handwheel version come with a "soft nose" rubber seal compatible with the modest torque that the handwheel ought to be used at, the spanner type typically is a metal to metal coupling featuring a brass nose.

Unfortunately, it is the nature of plastics, that give enough time they ultimately fail, but until they do these handwheel type of connector are IMO a real asset. So I accept sometime mine will fail.

Having it outside, say on a BBQ bottle or an oversized bottle that can't live in the gas locker will expose it to the UV in the sun rays, doing this will massively shorten its life.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
They don't have to cost £32, LINK

The handwheel version come with a "soft nose" rubber seal compatible with the modest torque that the handwheel ought to be used at, the spanner type typically is a metal to metal coupling featuring a brass nose.

Unfortunately, it is the nature of plastics, that give enough time they ultimately fail, but until they do these handwheel type of connector are IMO a real asset. So I accept sometime mine will fail.

Having it outside, say on a BBQ bottle or an oversized bottle that can't live in the gas locker will expose it to the UV in the sun rays, doing this will massively shorten its life.
See the one in the link is the rubber hose type, I will stand corrected if needs be. Would they have a shorter use life?
But on that note further down in your link is the braided ones like mine and yes cheaper at around £16.00 so they are available at reasonable cost, thank you

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hamilton Gas Products Ltd, I suggest a well respected vendor, quotes a usable life for rubber high pressure propane pig tails of 5 years and 20 for stainless.LINK

I am not aware that any high pressure LPG hose would not be reinforced. Low pressure hose can be, but the application here is high pressure.
In the absence of anything authoritative I would accept that 5 years is a decent guide figure, unless I could find definitive info on a specific brand of hose I intended using.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought one from a well known company Gaslow 4-5 years ago. It is braided by after few uses found that due to arthritic hands had difficulty turning it enough for a tight fit. I think it also had the long life warranty. If I can find it, you can have it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I think I would make one up using two bits from an oak off cut, I know I have, as two halves, screwed and glued together, after all it is only a handwheel so requires little precision. Good "lock down project".

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We bought one from a well known company Gaslow 4-5 years ago. It is braided by after few uses found that due to arthritic hands had difficulty turning it enough for a tight fit. I think it also had the long life warranty. If I can find it, you can have it.
Thanks for the offer Buckman, but its' not a big issue as it can be used with a spanner as a last resort, but there have been numerous suggestions on here as usual and I am eternally grateful, so one option is bound to work, thanks folks.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I think I would make one up using two bits from an oak off cut, I know I have, as two halves, screwed and glued together, after all it is only a handwheel so requires little precision. Good "lock down project".
"Lockdown" been back at work since mid March, could be a weekend project though.

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts