Happy new year caravanning!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
So martin Roberts doesn't know whether we like it or not with all the hassle of hooking up and driving then setting up and not sure if we're going to get there in one piece ! Nowt like being negative is there ! He should have bought a static ! I love the thought of planning a weekend away hitching up and just driving away from home getting to the site watching the kids play making new friends and also cracking on with the people around us . As for his fermented grape juice , stuff that ! nice cold can fosters - possibly followed by a few more ha ha :p

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Quote from his blog - "Cons - 1 Fear of the unknown, 2 The places you pick might be rubbish 3 It’s more stressful, and holidays are not supposed to involve stress"
He must do his caravanning different to us, 1 - what unknown, with Google these days never arrive without having had a look what to expect..
2 - Might be rubbish - again google maps and how many sites for folks reviews beforehand.
3 Stressful? - What is? -- holidaying. You must be doing it wrong!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Having read the blog, I would respectfully suggest that Martin is writing for the wrong magazine.
Surely his job is to encourage, not discourage, new caravanners?
Give it up mate, and make room for someone who might enjoy the hobby.
Oh, and yes, I enjoy the whole towing thing, and have done for almost 50 years.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Says it all in the head line, "Should he stay or go", touring or static vans, have there own attraction, seems like he has gone negative on both, maybe stick to the "lovely houses to be bought".

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I feel sure that we could take it turns to replace Martin with no difficulty at all. We need an ambassador writing these blogs. As it stands the dreaded JC may as well be doing it.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Should he stay or should he go[/size].........GO

Lets face the reality of this bloke, take a look back at his blogs...

He uses a PETROL can to fill his toilet
He moans about mobile phones on site's
He complains about what you wear to the shower blocks (Pyjama's etc)
He moans about pitch territory,people marking it with white picket fences, 40,000 volt electric fences,windbreaks, trench's etc etc.

Can you just imagine being pitched up next to such a miserable ole sod
Here's a tip for your Martin....sell up and stay in 5 star hotels

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Should he stay or should he go[/size].........GO

Lets face the reality of this bloke, Can you just imagine being pitched up next to such a miserable old sod
Here's a tip for your Martin....sell up and stay in 5 star hotels

Excellent ! And like hutch says , he should just stick to blogging houses !!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that Martin Roberts' blog is meant to be taken literally, his writing is tongue in cheek and designed to create a reaction or a forum talking point.
My guess is that it's mission accomplished :p

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
You beat me to it Parksy. I love reading Martins page, even if does make me cringe because I have had those thoughts, too!! Especially people walking through the pitch - that drives me nuts! If I had a picket fence I would use it - especially for the obvious first time campers in Dorset who walked BETWEEN the car and van, chatting loudly at 5.30 am, because it was closer than walking round to their tent which was behind me. You could tell they were first timers - creases in the tent, she had fur topped boots (in June) and had the biggest make up bag I've ever seen - and not a onesie in sight. So don't slate Martin too much - he's probably listening to your inner thoughts...

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes as , Sir Crying , says. Hopefulluy Martin could respond to several replys. MARTIN, do you like caravanning or is your writing just a means to an end for financial gains. As a Scot, my sense of humour can be taken the wrong way, I can read your tales a wrong way, A reply, from yourself would be nice. :)
Hutch.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Yes as , Sir Crying , says. Hopefulluy Martin could respond to several replys. MARTIN, do you like caravanning or is your writing just a means to an end for financial gains. As a Scot, my sense of humour can be taken the wrong way, I can read your tales a wrong way, A reply, from yourself would be nice. :)
Hutch.
An old show business adage advises those in the public eye to ignore their critics, and Martin Roberts leads a very busy life with various projects and interests which take up much of his time according to this interview from 2013.
The clue to Martins blog is provided in the opening statement of this thread.
LizziePope said:
Practical Caravan columnist Martin Roberts has a conundrum for the new year – read his light-hearted blog to find out more.
Some time ago touring caravans and those of us who enjoy owning them were coming in for some routine ill informed criticism on the Jeremy Vine programme which airs around lunchtime on BBC Radio Two.
Obviously I was incensed at the blatant mis-information so I phoned the producers and was invited to comment on air, which I did, for all the good it did because the anti-caravan agenda was already set.
Before my turn on air some loathsome publicity seeking moronic rent-a gob was given his five minutes of fame, and in reply Martin Roberts who was also invited to speak on our behalf calmly, concisely and with great good humour demolished the numpties argument without really trying too hard.
I don't know Martin Roberts and have no connection with him other than as a fellow caravanner like all of us here, but it seems to me that to take his humorous articles literally and to criticise them as though he was making serious suggestions is rather mean spirited and unfair.
It's a known fact that Martin Roberts owns a touring caravan which he uses with his family quite regularly.
If as a moderator I were to start to take some of the preceding comments as literally as some people appear to be interpreting a humorous blog on this website I might be tempted to suggest that rather than calling the guy 'a miserable old sod' who should 'sell up and stay in 5 star hotels' it might be a good idea to look at Rule 3 Forum etiquette which states that 'You may not transmit material that discloses personal matters concerning any person or that is defamatory.'
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/our-website/48922-forum-etiquette#BSBpOMtbE80Durm9.99
If you don't share Martin Roberts sense of humour the simple answer is not to read his blog.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sometimes it's worth a laugh and joke extracting the urine.
Martin is spot on regarding his hype on "seasonals" pros and cons :)
Nothing wrong with that as some on here use seasonals to enjoy their caravans and why not. I'd rather have a page of his slant on caravanning than another advert ;)

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
we do tend to concur with his 'dress code' to the facilities....I lost all bowel control this morning following some woman in her white dressing gown (dirty !!!), pyjamas (primark) and moon boots (fake) in 6 inches of snow....SWMBO wont venture out in anything other than full make up and straightened hair to the shower.....only joking....(not about the woman in the white dressing gown !!) wife will not use on site facilities !!

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Fear of the unknown, I thought that was life, everyday is different and unknown.
Martin should know that from homes under the hammer, caravan is just the same, out into the unknown.
An adventure to be savoured just like working for the beeb
Martin how about a lounge in cheek program on your caravan antics, would be a great change from houses.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
The clue to Martins blog is provided in the opening statement of this thread.
light-hearted

If as a moderator I were to start to take some of the preceding comments as literally as some people appear to be interpreting a humorous blog on this website I might be tempted to suggest that rather than calling the guy 'a miserable old sod' who should 'sell up and stay in 5 star hotels' it might be a good idea to look at Rule 3 Forum etiquette which states that 'You may not transmit material that discloses personal matters concerning any person or that is defamatory.'

So on this occasion I accept I have overstepped the mark... please accept my apologies.
Could it not depend on how you read it...I thought it was light hearted humor.
And there in lies the problems with both my post and the blogs....., Interpretation
I thought forums such as this were here to help others and not discourage.
Now if newbie/wannabe caravaners read his blogs it could seriously be off putting for some off them.
Or they could think "it's OK that celebrity said I could use a petrol can for my water to fill my toilet"

Now most people know I like humor....there's a right one and a wrong ill informed one...there's just not enough of the right one in this world.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I have to say there is no where near enough humour left in this country. I don't want to stray to far from the topic but Political Correctness has gone too far. Luckily in public being stuck in the land of wheels I get away with saying more than many would these days. I do have to remember though when typing people don't know your a cripple so get away with less :blink:

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
A lot of humour is indicated by body language. Sadly this does not come across in print.
I agree that these blogs could discourage newbies.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Gagakev said:
So on this occasion I accept I have overstepped the mark... please accept my apologies.
Could it not depend on how you read it...I thought it was light hearted humor.
And there in lies the problems with both my post and the blogs....., Interpretation
I thought forums such as this were here to help others and not discourage.
Now if newbie/wannabe caravaners read his blogs it could seriously be off putting for some off them.
Or they could think "it's OK that celebrity said I could use a petrol can for my water to fill my toilet"

Now most people know I like humor....there's a right one and a wrong ill informed one...there's just not enough of the right one in this world.

Not a problem Kev, I knew that you were probably joking but on a different thread people were asking why the editorial staff rarely posted on this forum and there have been comments from other members asking Martin Roberts to answer his critics on this thread.
The criticism of and general negativity toward those who write the blogs and articles possibly discourages some of them who have little or no experience of internet forums and most forumites have a robust sense of humour that those of us who regularly use the forum are aware of.
My comments that you responded to were not directed solely at you Kev, (unfortunately your comment was one that I happened to quote) but were aimed at putting the brakes on the generally disparaging attitude exhibited on this forum toward the magazine staff when they write blogs or articles.
Banter is fine when two people are directing it at each other but when it only comes from one side it looks more like criticism even if it was meant as humour.
Perhaps if forum members had been criticised in the blog then the writer would have been fair game but this is not the case so forum etiquette has to apply without fear or favour and all I did was to add a gentle reminder.
As I mentioned earlier, Lizzie had indicated that Martins blog is light hearted and I would have thought that the off the wall humour would be obvious to any casual reader in any case.
If a potential caravan buyers sole source of research and information before buying a tourer was a humorous blog by a celebrity in a caravan magazine and a website otherwise packed with good advice, their choice of container used to fill their toilet would surely be the least of their worries?
Have we finally reached the stage in our molly coddled risk averse society where publishers need to add a strapline to a funny magazine article which reads : Caution! May Contain Humour or Jokes! Do Not Try This At Home or On Site!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Surely Martin Roberts writes interesting thought provoking articles........their seems to be a lot of people reading them and commenting on them anyway!
My experience of caravanning is that you have to be fairly thick skinned as all life is to be found on site.
Whenever and wherever I pitch I know at some point my caravan will be hit by some sort of ball (which I hate :evil: ......it happened at the Wossiefest this year and no it wasn't a Woosie!)

I could add to Martin's list of gripes such as this one ...........CC rally on school playing field with experienced CC members in Suburb of Bournemouth to attend annual 4 day air show.
I was instructed where to pitch by the rally officer and on pitching was ordered by neighbour (who was already pitched) to keep the noise down.
He was reading a book in his awning.
I would have thought you would not attend this rally if you wanted peace and quiet, there being 4 days of rather noisy aircraft overhead including an Avro Vulcan, a F16 and a Eurofighter.
Come the Sunday morning at 8am, the same guy was having a noisy 30 minute conversation just outside my caravan with his mate :angry: ............I was hoping for a lie in!!

The trick is to still enjoy caravanning despite a few bad bits........I do and I would guess Martin Roberts does as well :)

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I hope the person who hit your van with a ball at Woosiefest wasn't my son or daughter? If it was I will chastise them with great vengeance and furious anger. Please accept my apologies on their behalf if it was.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I listened to that particular radio show, and was absolutely delighted with the way Martin handled the interviewer and other 'numpties'.
He is technically a 'neighbour' as he lives in the next village!
I love his article, it makes me smile, because, as I said previously: he knows what we're thinking!!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
crazyguider said:
I hope the person who hit your van with a ball at Woosiefest wasn't my son or daughter? If it was I will chastise them with great vengeance and furious anger. Please accept my apologies on their behalf if it was.

Sir Baldrick had said it wasn't a Woosie, quote:

".it happened at the Wossiefest this year and no it wasn't a Woosie!"

I think your offspring are counted as Woosies on this occasion. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
crazyguider said:
They got ours and Kevins (which was next door) with their ball after it bounced off our caravan when they were playing on the rally field and things got a bit out of hand but I'm pretty sure that you chastised them with great vengeance and furious anger at the time :woohoo: They were in a different field and not where we were pitched to be fair, the ball just went a bit further than they thought it would. :)
These things happen, it wasn't intentional, no damage was done and I wouldn't have mentioned it unless you had :lol:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts