Happy New Year.......NOT!!!!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for all your replies.
Took caravan to dealer where they assessed the cost of repairs,(£1695.01) including vat and labour.
Insurance contacted me after a week and after sending them certain documents,pictures etc, they have agreed to pay for repairs(minus my £300 excess).
Sounds all good so far except after a few days of talking and realisation,.....we've decided to sell the van back to the same dealer(where its now awaiting parts) that we purchased it from 18 months ago.
1.This is the third time in 10 years we've had a caravan vandalised(admittedly,not as bad as this).
2.Once van is repaired,I have absolutely no where else to store it except in the same storage yard where this theft occurred.
No spaces anywhere reasonably close to us and no chance of storing it at home.
If I did take it back to this storage yard,every day,I would be dreading the phone call from the owner which would begin,"Hi Mr xxxxx, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you"
I'm afraid this has really hit us hard and had no alternative but to sell.
Yes,I could have got more for it selling privately,but no alternative storage place to keep it whilst awaiting prospective buyers.
As it turns out,dealer checked prices on his phone and I'm only losing £300 less than what we paid for it 18 months ago(plus the £300 excess of course).
So thats it.......its gone.
Next job is to change the Santa fe for something smaller now.
I'm not leaving the forum and will be browsing posts most days.
Hopefully,new year will improve.🤔

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very sorry to hear this news Ade. I am sure it was not an easy decision. Just glad ,like others, you will continue posting on here. Best wishes with whatever you do going forward.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Dustydog.
Yes,will definitely not be leaving.
With my limited knowledge regarding caravans,everyones given me a lot of help and tips on here over the years which I really do appreciate.
Anyway,went on "Airbnb" this afternoon and booked a 2 week holiday in a small detached bungalow in Paignton for September so thats something to look forward to.🤗
Also,its other half's 60th birthday this Monday and one of my gifts is,I've adopted a donkey(she loves donkeys) in her name and the sanctuary is near Sidmouth,Devon,so I reckon there's going to be a few long weekends down there this year.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Anyway,went on "Airbnb" this afternoon and booked a 2 week holiday in a small detached bungalow in Paignton for September so thats something to look forward to.🤗
Also,its other half's 60th birthday this Monday and one of my gifts is,I've adopted a donkey(she loves donkeys) in her name and the sanctuary is near Sidmouth,Devon,

I used Airbnb to book a cottage for a week in Devon last September. We thoroughly enjoyed it. From our cottage, we only had a five-mile drive to the Donkey Sanctuary. Since our last visit some five years ago, they have undergone an expansion scheme. They do some wonderful work there now. I included some pictures in my blog which you can see here

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ade, Sorry to hear that you have been forced to sell your van, because basically that is what the toe rags (Cant call them what I want to as this is a public forum!!) have done.
I really hope you go on to find the holidays you deserve.
Also hope the wife enjoys the Donkey Sanctuary down here in Devon.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It must have been a very difficult decision, but the thought of it happening again would weigh on anyones mind. Undoubtedly a difficult decision, but as you’ve found out there are attractive alternatives. If you feel like venturing abroad Gites and mobiles in France still make Britain look over priced. Good luck.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you.
Yes,a heartbreaking time but maybe(just maybe) we may choose to buy a very small 2 berth in about 3 years time after we retire which will fit in the driveway and may have more free time to use it which is why I've decided to keep most of the associated "caravan equipment".....just incase🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Also,its other half's 60th birthday this Monday and one of my gifts is,I've adopted a donkey(she loves donkeys) in her name and the sanctuary is near Sidmouth,Devon,so I reckon there's going to be a few long weekends down there this year.
Not far from there I think there is a town called "Beer". So visit sanctuary and then time for Beer. :ROFLMAO:

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Quick update.

Insurers have paid dealer the cost of repairs etc today.

Had a phone call from dealer about an hour ago to let me know money for caravan will be in my account within the hour.
True to their word....its in the bank.

So thats it.....our beloved caravans gone☹

Just the Santa fe to change now.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you.
Yes,a heartbreaking time but maybe(just maybe) we may choose to buy a very small 2 berth in about 3 years time after we retire which will fit in the driveway and may have more free time to use it which is why I've decided to keep most of the associated "caravan equipment".....just incase🤔
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but if you miss the caravan like I suspect we would, then the idea of a far smaller one might work. Must admit I do have reservations about leaving ours in storage but the site is a five star CASSOA one and looks very secure./

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That’s awful for you, Looking at the photos the frame doesn’t look buckled which I guess is a bonus.
some years ago my swift challenger was broken into to steal the heki skylight.they buckled the door and frame getting inside then struggled to remove the skylight and destroyed the hinges getting it free so it probably was no use to the scroat who was buying it .Hope you get sorted that truly is an awful start to the new year for you.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Brian.
The frame was only dented where they must have forced a crow bar or something in between to force the lock open,but dealers replacing the frame as well.

One of the mechanics at the dealer reckons it probably took them about 60 seconds.😔

Anyway,insuranced paid out and van has now been sold back to dealer.

Part exchanged the Santa fe this afternoon for a Toyota Aygo so thats caravanning over for us.😢😢

• Sad
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Part exchanged the Santa fe this afternoon for a Toyota Aygo so thats caravanning over for us.😢😢
For how long? LOL! We did the same when I was diagnosed with a medical issue so decided to give up caravans as no AirBnB in those days. After no caravan for a year we went a bought a cheapo and started all over again. Wish you all the best and hope you remain active on this forum. :D

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I’m 72 and stopped touring a long time ago,.We are now seasonal and stay on a site in Whitby,Iwent last week to check on the van and someone as cut the tow plug off.Saved himself £15 and likely cost me around £500 to fix.There’s some heartless people around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Brian.
The frame was only dented where they must have forced a crow bar or something in between to force the lock open,but dealers replacing the frame as well.

One of the mechanics at the dealer reckons it probably took them about 60 seconds.😔

You certainly move quick George.good luck for the future

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I did get a bit of a move on Brian🤭

Thing is......caravan was sold and Santa fe was needing 4 new tyres,plus 25mpg around town(was due for a service) I decided it was time to change.

Been out in the Aygo this morning and its great.
Yes....its small and not so smooth as the Santa fe,but looking forward to good reliability and economy.
Government figures are exaggerated I think but I would imagine about 50mpg overall should be acheivable.
Sorry to hear about the damage to your van😔

Oh....im Ade🤭

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did get a bit of a move on Brian🤭

Thing is......caravan was sold and Santa fe was needing 4 new tyres,plus 25mpg around town(was due for a service) I decided it was time to change.

Been out in the Aygo this morning and its great.
Yes....its small and not so smooth as the Santa fe,but looking forward to good reliability and economy.
Government figures are exaggerated I think but I would imagine about 50mpg overall should be acheivable.
Sorry to hear about the damage to your van😔

Oh....im Ade🤭
Sorry,my mistake Ade.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Brian.

We also pack caravanning up in 2011 and thought we would try a Seasonal site did that for a few years then when got my present car it seem a shame not to tow with it so we brought a cheap caravan to see if i can manage if not we can sell it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also pack caravanning up in 2011 and thought we would try a Seasonal site did that for a few years then when got my present car it seem a shame not to tow with it so we brought a cheap caravan to see if i can manage if not we can sell it
That’s when I stopped towing,I pulled the van from Whitby to Glastonbury on the Tuesday till the following Monday morning.then set off back.the traffic coming out of the festival was that heavy I couldn’t get out of second gear for miles and burned the clutch out.got towed all the way home that was a story In itself 😂.That was the last year I towed.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I’m 72 and stopped touring a long time ago,.We are now seasonal and stay on a site in Whitby,Iwent last week to check on the van and someone as cut the tow plug off.Saved himself £15 and likely cost me around £500 to fix.There’s some heartless people around
Hi Brian what seasonal site are you on in Whitby i hope you get your caravan sorted

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts