Hard standing storage

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Our storage site is less than 10 minutes from home and has full security but it is on grass and limited space to manoeuvre the van. Although it is cheap at £180 per year I have to use the mover to get the van onto the pitch as there is not enough room to drive onto the pitch or reverse onto the pitch.
After getting stuck in the mud yet again I have been looking for a hard standing storage site in north essex but they are few and far between. Most are full but I have put my name down on the waiting list of one on a CL.
It is 35 minutes away but with not having to spend what has in the past been hours trying to get the van onto the storage pitch I feel the extra distance will be worth it even if the cost goes up to £400 PA.
I hope a pitch comes up soon as I am dreading getting the van out and back to the existing storage next month.
How far does everyone else go for storage ?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
FrintonMike said:
How far does everyone else go for storage ?

£160 pa,

If only. :huh:
It currently costs me £560.00 pa, which will no doubt go up in the new year, for gold hard standing storage. Due to the limited space between rows it's definitely a mover or by hand (not easy on type 2 surface) to get in or out of your slot.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are lucky in have CC storage at Strathclyde park 3 miles away. Hard standing and good security but just had next years fees, £285. Exit onto roundabout from the park can be a problem though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So far every post has reported either full security or good security.

Hmmm, This confirms security is one of the key features customers look for when choosing a site. So it is important and part of contracted the offer these sites make to you.

So please tell me what happens if your sites "full or Good" security fails and your van suffers some kind of loss? I'm sure Ray will tell us its the caravan owner.

Essentially the site is in breach of contract because a sales feature has failed. Who remains liable to pick up the cost and consequences of that failure?

If a site operator uses statements or hints about security to tempt customers they must deliver it. If they can't or it fails and customers property is damaged they must have some liability for the failure of the system they are selling.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
The storage site I use does not advertise, but is always full with recommendations by word of mouth. It has good security with CCTV, electronic gate and padlocked gate, however security is not mentioned as part of the site's facilities.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
The storage site I use does not advertise, but is always full with recommendations by word of mouth. It has good security with CCTV, electronic gate and padlocked gate, however security is not mentioned as part of the site's facilities.

If you enquired about storage and you were shown the site with fences and cameras, even though they are not necessarily mentioned in any brochures or documents, the fact you were shown them means they are an implied term or condition. You would have every reasonable expectation you caravan would be sited inside the fenced area and under the watchful eye of the cameras. If you found your caravan parked outside of the fence you would be less than happy and I am sure you would challenge the site owner about it.

I'm playing devils advocate here, because too many people are duped into believing something basically because they don't bother to look into it or ask the necessary questions.

So how do you know the security is "good"? how is it measured? Is it run/managed effectively?, And is it really any better than what you might have used before?

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
£48 pcm, CASSOA silver, 3 miles from home and I drive past twice a day on my commute.

Until the middle of this year we were on a site slightly further away but harder to get to, grass, no vehicle access during winter (park in the car park and walk to your 'van), £50pcm and no security except the warden of the attached mobile home site walked round once a day. I finally decided to look elsewhere when I went to collect the van at Easter and realised the grass hadn't been cut since the start of the year. I like wildflower meadows but I don't want to store my caravan in one.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Friends farm where he has 100 storage pitches. I have a hardstanding drive in ,drive out ,£200 pa.

Entry to the fenced off compound is via a swipe card security gate system. Alarmed around the entire perimeter and 24/7 CCTV .

3 miles from my home.
Security is not a sales pitch with my mate. More take it or leave it, At any time he has a waiting list of at least 20. We all use the site on the understanding any theft will be at our risk.
However as I said he does provide a degree of security and deterrent.

Taking the Prof's point . He is absolutely spot on particularly in regard to Cassoa rated sites and indeed any site who advertises "security"
At the end of the day I am happy with the pricing and fully accept I am responsible. My CC caravan insurers are happy too.
I'd love to know how many insurers pay for a theft claim and then seek recovery against the storage site owner.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We pay about £ 230 pa in Seaham , huge storage site with hard standing also CASSOA silver , barrier gate in and out plus cctv . Every pitch has ample room and I've loads of manoeuvrability space to get caravan in and out of plot and that's with about 500 plus on the site !

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
My storage is next to my garage at home..........cost is nil.
Caravan is checked every day.
Wheel clamp + hitch lock + Chain to ground anchor.
Ground anchor set in concrete and chain round axle .......chain centrally positioned under caravan.......good luck to anyone crawling under my caravan with hacksaw /grinder / acetylene torch / whatever!
I just have to crawl under it to undo/do up a padlock :)
Oh and there is a hidden 100 decibel movement alarm which is a one off system so only I know how it works!

......and the best deterrent of all the value of the caravan makes it not worth the effort of stealing it :whistle:

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
just had a look at another hard standing storage but they are only open 8:00-17:00 mon to fri and 08:00-13:00 Sat. Not open Sundays.
This restricts using the van so much as too not be worth considering

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I'm paying well above average, but it's better than the going rate around here! Everywhere has a big waiting list so they can more or less charge whatever the market will stand.
Mrs Gozza is currently house hunting, I've told her that space for caravan storage (plus off-street for our cars) is a requirement.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Gozza said:
Looks like I'm paying well above average, but it's better than the going rate around here! Everywhere has a big waiting list so they can more or less charge whatever the market will stand.
Mrs Gozza is currently house hunting, I've told her that space for caravan storage (plus off-street for our cars) is a requirement.

You always have to balance the risk of advertising when you are away, ie no caravan on the drive when there normally is. :(

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Rear of the house under cover, sides and front open to the elements though. It takes a bit of time getting van out, have to open full doors to carport, move trailer, work benches and other odds and ends. Use a motor mover that fits in place of the jockey wheel. Return have to move everything to get it back in.

Trevor

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.........you do need good neighbours if you store your caravan on your property for the reasons WC highlights.
Especially important if you are leaving your house empty whilst you are away.

I have lived in my house for 30 years so know my neighbours very well in our small close of eight houses.
We have our own Neighbourhood Watch group and one neighbour and friend has the key to our house and doesn't miss a thing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
You always have to balance the risk of advertising when you are away, ie no caravan on the drive when there normally is. :(
It's no more than risking the caravan in storage - with the exception of high security storage facilities, caravan insurers make no distinction in premiums between home or storage.

The fact that cars aren't there, aren't leaving/arriving and no sign of activity makes the caravan's absence irelevant. If they know enough about you to realise the caravan is missing, then there's plenty of other "clues".

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
We have lived here since 1976 and all get on well together. Van been were it is since 1978, next door has a 6 foot fence othe side of the van are climbing plants partly covering it.

Trevor

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
We keep ours on a cl site about 15 miles away. There is some hard standing but we tend to keep it on the field under a cover as its easier to get on and off. We have to give 24hrs notice that we are removing the van or bringing it back. The storage cannot be seen from the road, and is also part lived on by long term residents in other vans, so there is always someone there. It costs £21 a month.

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Ordered a new van at the NEC show and now looking for safe storage. From the prices I have been quoted, it looks like none of you guys are in the overpriced and overcrowded South East! Best price I have found is £800pa payable annually in advance.

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
We just moved into a new storage site today 530 pa in advance 10 miles for J25 on M25. We have been on a cassoa gold site nr Peterborough for the past 10 years at 220 pa, but it just restricted where we would go with the van with 2 hours to pick up the van before getting away

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts