hartal door lock

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, got the same problem with a stiff lock took advise from forum and stripped lock and used a drummel to increase size slilghtly and it all seems much smoother, however as everyone pointed out the callipers are the trickyist part, got em off but how on earth do you get back on, especially the large one in the spring catch compartment, been trying all night, if I had a swear box itd be bursting now, is there a special tool I can obtain from screwfix or somewhere, I used small pliers to remove but cannot get it back on

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Smurff, When I was preparing for my few days away last week I found my caravan lock had become very stiff. I just squirted a load of 3 in 1 oil in the keyhole and in/on all moving parts, went and had a cup of coffee, and when I tried the lock again, hey presto! free movement! Thank goodness for that, I thought, not being very good at taking things apart and putting them back together........ Also, I have solved the same problem in the past with the judicious application of some Vaseline. That reminds me of a joke, but the mods would probably censor it!

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
earlyriser said:
hi smurff
are these what you are looking for http://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/circlip-pliers/cat831190 also avaible from b&q
yep there the ones however tried fixing it on a sunday morning, shot down to screwfix as id seen them on net for the £8.99 ones guess what they had to be ordered in, I ask you a small item and you gotta order them, so off to bnq and yes guess what could not find them so asked 3 assistants all female, not one knew what a circlip was let alone a remover, so grabbed a male assistant who said they dont stock em, im panicking now with tools spread everywhere on my drive n unable to lock van door so tried halfords, aaaarrrgghh they stock em but none on shelves would have to order them, they were priced up at £20 scfewfix £ 8.99 for the same ones, anyway ordered exactly the same on ebay plus a box of 300 circlips all for £5.60 inc delivery.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have seen messages about sticky Hartal locks so I decided to try to fix mine.
I took it off the door and stripped it down OK but I discovered that there is a coil spring which pushes the catch out. Mine was broken hence the reason why my door would not latch unless I locked it.

I can see from other posts that many of you have had problems and even replaced locks in the past, did any of you keep the old one and if so could you let me have the coiled compression spring.
I would be glad to let you have postage and a donation. I don't have a dealer nearby and it seems over the top to buy a new lock for the sake of a small spring.

Thanks. David.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I see a few of you have been having a squirt........................with oil. We use powdered graphite on all our locks, car, caravan and home and it gives much better long term results.

Powdered Graphite

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
New to the whole forum thing but somebody saved me £85 today - thanks! Had Bailey Senator Indiana last Sept. Sited it last week and noticed door handle not returning to centre. Last night my Mum and Dad went to the caravan and couldn't even get in. Luckily the farmer persevered and wiggled and jiggled and got lock to move. Dealer wanted £85 to go out to look at lock, which they admitted would be covered on warranty but not the call out.
I searched a few forums and found that it's common with Hartal locks and found a few helpful people who explained what to do.
I armed myself with a screwdriver, knife, file and circlip pliers and fixed it in 1 hour tonight. Works like new.
Very annoyed that dealer would charge me £85 to go to look at that, surely they know it's a common fault!
What's that motto - if you want a job done properly, do it yourself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts