hatchback or saloon?

Dec 16, 2005
Visit site
im looking to buy a vauxhall vectra with the possibility of using it to tow a small 2-berth caravan in the future. im dithering over a hatchback or saloon model, they are roughly the same price and i dont really care about the asthetic differences! any suggestions? anyone know the difference in weight and length between the hatchback and saloon models. i can only afford to insure a 1.6, but thats a huge engine compared to the citroen AX im driving at the moment...its going to the scrapheap next month so im lookin to buy asap! im also looking for a manual, petrol car.

thanks in advance

fiona

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
For towing purposes, there is nothing to choose between the hatch and the saloon. The max. permissible towloads and the rear overhang (the dimension from the rear axle to the towball) are identical. Weight differences are negligible. Only if you're looking at buying an estate would you have compare more closely.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As you appear to be looking secondhand, on the pre-2003 Vectras, the hatch has a shorter rear overhang but on current models the hatch and saloon are identical, in that respect. The hatchbacks are slightly heavier but it's marginal.

Hatchbacks are far more common in the UK and hold their price slightly better.

The saloon boot is very big but doesn't have the flexibility of the hatch.

The early Vectras had two 1.6's available - an 8v with 74 bhp and a 16v with 99bhp - the lower power version might struggle when towing. There wasn't much difference on insurance group between the two.

Dec 16, 2005
Visit site
thanks guys, your info is much appreciated!

i was definately going to avoid the 8V, and there are not too many of them on sale, most ive seen are the 16V version. but thanks for confirming my doubts on the 8V!

as its best to have a smaller rear overhang, I think im gonna go for a hatchback. the wheelbase between the hatch and saloon is pretty much the same. and there are tons of good quality hatchbacks on the market. all the saloons ive seen tend to be very high milage!

thanks for the advice!

fiona

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts