Hate DiY

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have often said that me and OH are rubbish at DIY and that is why we rarely attempt anything technical. In case others do not understand how bad we are, let me give you an example. We are currently decorating the spare bedroom at home and need to put a bead of new sealant down the internal side of a window frame. Bought the sealant, bought the sealant gun. Placed said sealant inside said gun. Cut decent sized chunk off end of nozzle and squeezed. Could anything be more straightforward?? Does this go wrong for anyone else??
Some sealant duly comes out the nozzle end…great. Sealant then stops coming out the nozzle end and squirts out of the base of the sealant tube all over the gun and everywhere else.
Why?! What are we doing wrong? What can you possibly do wrong? DIY just hates us. 😤
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have often said that me and OH are rubbish at DIY and that is why we rarely attempt anything technical. In case others do not understand how bad we are, let me give you an example. We are currently decorating the spare bedroom at home and need to put a bead of new sealant down the internal side of a window frame. Bought the sealant, bought the sealant gun. Placed said sealant inside said gun. Cut decent sized chunk off end of nozzle and squeezed. Could anything be more straightforward?? Does this go wrong for anyone else??
Some sealant duly comes out the nozzle end…great. Sealant then stops coming out the nozzle end and squirts out of the base of the sealant tube all over the gun and everywhere else.
Why?! What are we doing wrong? What can you possibly do wrong? DIY just hates us. 😤
Mel
It’s not you, I’ve had that happen on a sealant tube in the gun. I put it down to over enthusiastic pressurising of the tube, but now it’s happened to you it’s probably due to tubes made by caravan manufacturers 😂

Reactions: Mel
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There is a seal at the end of the tube. After trimming the tip of the nozzle, something needs to be pushed down the nozzle to puncture that seal. A nail or screwdriver would do.

Not a thing they point out on the tube.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Since you've got sealant coming out the end I guess you've cut the tip off the tube. I've had the same problems with sealant coming out of the bottom of the tube but only on old stuff that's got very viscous and I've had to apply considerable pressure.

A good tip is to have to had a small spray mister filled with water and a tiny drop of washing up liquid. Once you've got the bead where it should be, give it a light spray and the use a finger or tool to smooth out the bead. Also spray your fingers afterwards and anything else that has excess sealant and then wipe with paper towel.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is a seal at the end of the tube. After trimming the tip of the nozzle, something needs to be pushed down the nozzle to puncture that seal. A nail or screwdriver would do.

Not a thing they point out on the tube.

John
Some tubes require you to cut off the tip of the screw thread on the tube.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since you've got sealant coming out the end I guess you've cut the tip off the tube. I've had the same problems with sealant coming out of the bottom of the tube but only on old stuff that's got very viscous and I've had to apply considerable pressure.

A good tip is to have to had a small spray mister filled with water and a tiny drop of washing up liquid. Once you've got the bead where it should be, give it a light spray and the use a finger or tool to smooth out the bead. Also spray your fingers afterwards and anything else that has excess sealant and then wipe with paper towel.
My father had to be taken to hospital for an allergic attack when he licked his fingers and used them to smooth out a bead of some type of sealant. . After that Ive been a bowl of water and washing up liquid convert.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Different products can have different opening and use instructions, and as far as I can remember, every tube I've used has had opening instructions printed on the tube or sales box.

Simples- read read the Instructions

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I can do some DIY but most of it is for the experts. Never had your problem but not done much with that type of gun.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Different products can have different opening and use instructions, and as far as I can remember, every tube I've used has had opening instructions printed on the tube or sales box.

Simples- read read the Instructions
The size of print often precludes reading of the instructions, squeezed in amongst various other languages. I now keep my old Dad’s magnifying glass handy. I have looked at three tubes of stuff from Soudal, Dial, and Evo and all just tell you to cut off the top of the screw thread and screw on the nozzle. Nothing about piercing any internal seal. But they do advise smoothing the bead using water.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The size of print often precludes reading of the instructions, squeezed in amongst various other languages. I now keep my old Dad’s magnifying glass handy. I have looked at three tubes of stuff from Soudal, Dial, and Evo and all just tell you to cut off the top of the screw thread and screw on the nozzle. Nothing about piercing any internal seal. But they do advise smoothing the bead using water.
You are correct, I have never seen instructions to break the internal seal. Often it will burst itself under pressure, but sometimes the sealant will initially come out without control. And other times it can burst the casing.

It just needs a quick poke.

Normally, my mantra is, if in doubt, read the instructions.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Try this one for size.......me "just going out to change the back tyre on the car"
Wife " Ok see you in a bit"
Now prepare for Frank Spenceresque incompetence and bad luck.

The car was a Peugeot 205 diesel.
Jacked it up successfully.
Car in first gear so wheel won't spin round when I am loosening the wheelnuts.
Put spanner ( was with the spare tyre and looked like it had never been used before - short one with flat blade on the lever end).
Put it on wheel nut securely and heaved.........but to no avail, that nut was not for budging....
Stand by yer beds for side splitting laughter and disbelief....
I stamped on the wheel spanner.........REALLY FIRMLY........imagine the next bit in slow motion....
All my weight went down on the spanner through my right foot........the socket section of the spanner snapped with the force ( let's face it, I am a superhuman at 5 ft 8 and 11 stone)......I went down and as I did the lever section of the spanner hit the ground having broken off.......and somehow went up my trouser leg, ripping it all the way up to my groin but miraculously did not pierce my skin.......I smashed into the ground chin first...... hell that smarted!!
I then picked myself up and walked back into the house where my wife looked at me in bewilderment.........
"Look at those trousers!!".......... never mind oh my god are you ok love....
Cleaned myself up, changed into trackie bottoms and then went back out to try and get the head of the wheelnut spanner off the wheel nut.........which took twenty minutes and assistance from a heat gun.......

So........anyone want any help with any DIY projects at the weekend??

Steve

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Sometimes if you are over enthusiastic when cutting the top off the mastic tube this can happen, it’s just the non treaded tip that needs to be cut, if you trim some thread with it then that’s when this issue can arise.

As said water with a dash of washing up liquid sprayed onto the bead of mastic, then I use

I read somewhere using spit and applying sealant with your finger introduces bacteria that can cause mould further down the road

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mel
Hi Mel it not you i just slowly squeeze the trigger of the caulk gun to apply the sealant and so far okay

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for all your kind and helpful comments. As we did everything suggested including cutting the top off the mastic tube as well as the nozzle and reading the instructions, we have put it down to a defective tube. Will buy a different brand and try again.
Now need to get hinges covered in 30 years of paint off a door frame 😀🤔.
All good fun
Mel

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 12, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for all your kind and helpful comments. As we did everything suggested including cutting the top off the mastic tube as well as the nozzle and reading the instructions, we have put it down to a defective tube. Will buy a different brand and try again.
Now need to get hinges covered in 30 years of paint off a door frame 😀🤔.
All good fun
Mel

Just on my way round with the blow torch.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Mel and Hutch

TRENDING THREADS