Headlight beam deflectors for France

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Off to France at the end of next month. I have a 2010 Kia Sorento 1. Does anyone know if the headlamps can be adjusted for driving on the right in Europe or do I have to stick those stickers to the headlamp lens. I know that some cars enable the headlamps to be adjusted from inside the engine compartment to enable driving on the right when abroad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If it can be done it should be in the handbook but someone will know. In many ways I prefer the stick on beam benders which cost next to nothing. Not having them gives the police a reason to stop you and for what they cost I would want to avoid that.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I put them on last 2 years just for the sake off not getting done if we got stopped not that we done any night time driving . Had heard many rumours off fines for not having them . Dont forget your hi viz's and warning triangle , spare bulbs , and breathilisers to .

Enjoy

Craig .

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the help so far. I have checked the handbook but there is nothing in there to give you a clue. Good point about using the stick on ones so not to attract attention of the police. Never thought of that, I have got everything else, high viz jackets, warning triangle, bulbs etc. I have used the stick on deflectors in the past on a different vehicle and it was obvious where they went but on the Sorento it doesn't look so obvious. Just looking at the headlights it looks like it might be a bit of a pain to work out and the instructions that come with the stick on ones are a bit of a nightmare. Just thought someone might have a Sorento and know if the headlights can be adjusted without using the stick ones.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The instructions are a nightmare t under stand . They got filed away or should i say chucked away ! I just put them on , so they looked the same on either light . If its your first time to france also look into purchasing a toll tag . Saves a few €€€€ and a bit off time .

Enjoy . Craig . B)

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Looks like I am going to have to just plonk them on. Its not our first time in France but the last time we went was a good while ago. I was looking at the tag for the French motorways. You can buy them through the Caravan Club so I was thinking of doing that, I believe they are pretty good and work well.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The tags are spot on . Just drive towards it and it raises the barrier . Saves scrapping around for change like we did the first time . The second time was great . Straight through .

Craig .

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The headlights will be adjustable for LHD and RHD if the vehicle has HID headlamps. If it has bulbs then likely not.

(HID = High Intensity Discharge)

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
I put them on last 2 years just for the sake off not getting done if we got stopped not that we done any night time driving . Had heard many rumours off fines for not having them . Dont forget your hi viz's and warning triangle , spare bulbs , and breathilisers to .

Enjoy

Craig .

No need for breathalyzer now, that law was repealed ages ago. Don't forget to have sufficient hi viz jackets for all SEATS in the car (not just the number of passengers).

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
PaulT said:
Craigyoung said:

Enjoy

Craig .

No need for breathalyzer now, that law was repealed ages ago. Don't forget to have sufficient hi viz jackets for all SEATS in the car (not just the number of passengers).

Er, no. The law has not been repealed, it is still on the books - it is just that they have decided that no-one will be prosecuted for not having one.

Yet another typical French fudge.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Woodentop said:
PaulT said:
Craigyoung said:

Enjoy

Craig .

Er, no. The law has not been repealed, it is still on the books - it is just that they have decided that no-one will be prosecuted for not having one.

Yet another typical French fudge.

Why single out the French? Don't politicians the world over "fudge" matters to suit their own ends?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
What a debate ! :woohoo: I would just take them to be on the safe side !! They small enough to put in the glove box , we were told that they weren't needed last year due to the French not being able to produce them fast enough but we still took them .

Craig .

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
regarding the comment on hi viz jackets? having one for each seat in the car is a new one on me, as far as i have been made aware 1 per passenger is all that is needed. anyone care to clarify..

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I know people out here in France who have been fined for having insufficient jackets. They might have just met a gendarme on a bad day but for the cost of them, is it worth the bother?

The reason that the breathalyzers were put on hold was because it was discovered that the government minister in charge of the project was a major shareholder in one of the companies that were producing them!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi Paul was just after clarification of what legally applies, normally only myself and the wife in the car although i do have 4 hi viz jackets but the car is a 5 seater .so should i be carrying 5 hi viz even though there are just the 2 of us?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The Ferry companies, still point out that it's the French law to carry them, As Craig says, why not they are cheap enough, and rather the hassle for 3/4 of an hour trying to explain why you dont have them.
Back to the lights, my Santa Fe was supposed to have electrically changable , lights for the continent, but on checking , no not UK standard. But they are a flat beam, and do not require the beam benders, but I still fit the BB'

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
JonnyG said:
hi Paul was just after clarification of what legally applies, normally only myself and the wife in the car although i do have 4 hi viz jackets but the car is a 5 seater .so should i be carrying 5 hi viz even though there are just the 2 of us?

In theory, yes. My XC90 is a 7 seater but the 2 extra seats are hidden away (and never been used) so I just carry 5 jackets.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
It is one hi viz vest to each person in the car which must be reachable in case off a break down etc , not buried under the boot luggage ! Ours is a 7 seater but we only carry 4 hi viz's .

Craig .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I carry 5 hi vis, jackets, and one for each dog, mostley for the fact that if I need something out of the back of the car I have to have the dogs out. Three ! Strobe hazard lights, inflatable led and arm splints , snow chains for winter, First aid kits, all I really need is the Full Paramedics degree, and blues and two's.

I have the utmost respect for Doctors ,Nurses and Paramedics,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I carry 5 hi vis, jackets, First aid kits, all I really need is the Full Paramedics degree, and blues and two's.

I have the utmost respect for Doctors ,Nurses and Paramedics,

Is not quicker to hire an ambulance for the few weeks away!! :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
SORRY to our health Staff. I sould have said it the other way around, Paramedics AND Nurses, and Doctors. .

Thank you all.
Hutch.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Like the tip for beam diverters place the high viz jackets over the back of the drivers & passenger seats where they can be seen, also helps save hassle from the Gendarmeri

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
TD42 said:
Like the tip for beam diverters place the high viz jackets over the back of the drivers & passenger seats where they can be seen, also helps save hassle from the Gendarmeri

Unsure bout that , ours are still in their packet and we put them under our foot Matts , having them round your seats could be a hazard to drivers behind if the light catches them and the glare behind could be dangerous. The same as traveling and not having the front blind down on the caravan , the same effect.

Craig

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Good point Craig, Other way round , Blind down causes Glare, I saw a good thread about that, travelling with blind down causing "Glare".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts